Black Rapid RS4

speedtest99

May 8, 2004
bought a Black Rapid RS4 last week from CP, how do i know my connector and fastener is which model? It is not stated in the packaging too.

Post a picture? We can't tell you if we don't see it

now not at home, will try to post if i am free.

i remember it is not silver, i think is metallic grey.

by the way, why people want to change the default connector and fastener? No good?

now not at home, will try to post if i am free.

i remember it is not silver, i think is metallic grey.

by the way, why people want to change the default connector and fastener? No good?

If you bought it last week then chances are its a FR3, the FR3 is supposed to be more secure than the FR2, thats what they say

Last edited:
If you bought it last week then chances are its a cr3, the cr3 is supposed to be more secure than the cr2, thats what they say

i bought it last week.

by the way, which screw into the base of your camera, cr2 or fr2?

bought a Black Rapid RS4 last week from CP, how do i know my connector and fastener is which model? It is not stated in the packaging too.

the new one is metallic grey/brown in colour, more rounded, smaller and made from 1 single piece of metal.

the old one is almost stainless steel in appearance, the loop part is a separate part and it swivels on the base fastener. it is therefore a 2-piece design. looking at it, the loop made from a thin rod, bent and clamped into place

u can go www.blackrapid.com to check it out.

the new one is metallic grey/brown in colour, more rounded, smaller and made from 1 single piece of metal.

the old one is almost stainless steel in appearance, the loop part is a separate part and it swivels on the base fastener. it is therefore a 2-piece design. looking at it, the loop made from a thin rod, bent and clamped into place

u can go www.blackrapid.com to check it out.

thanks, so which is better? old or new?

some pictures, maybe someone can help to identify which version.

w9xmgy.jpg

25kscc6.jpg

281hqg4.jpg

some pictures, maybe someone can help to identify which version.

w9xmgy.jpg

25kscc6.jpg

281hqg4.jpg

Looks like a CR-2 with FR-3, the newest version available now, exactly the same as when i get my RS-7 a few weeks back, the CR-2 is a little different from the previous version though

Looks like a CR-2 with FR-3, the newest version available now, exactly the same as when i get my RS-7 a few weeks back, the CR-2 is a little different from the previous version though

thanks for verifying, is it good enough or should i change the CR and FR?

thanks for verifying, is it good enough or should i change the CR and FR?

They are both the newer and improved versions, no point changing at all. Also, you can't really find FR-2 on the market nowadays.

They are both the newer and improved versions, no point changing at all. Also, you can't really find FR-2 on the market nowadays.

ok, i will keep to my current setup, but why the old version so many changing to CR2/FR2, really so bad?

The present design is the best at the moment. Since you bought it, just relax and use.

Aiyah. That means i've got the "older" versions. Got the rapid strap 4 when relatively new when it first came out. Eh, anyone checked out if CP has the newer fasteners/connectors? Checking if any of our mass sellers here have them as well. Been using it for a while actually, just that I can be paranoid sometimes, kept checking them once a while.. :sweat:

xhui said:
Aiyah. That means i've got the "older" versions. Got the rapid strap 4 when relatively new when it first came out. Eh, anyone checked out if CP has the newer fasteners/connectors? Checking if any of our mass sellers here have them as well. Been using it for a while actually, just that I can be paranoid sometimes, kept checking them once a while.. :sweat:

Yes have, saw the new FR-3 selling at CP marina sq the other day, forgot it's $12 or $25.

Yup, as others have stated, you have the CR2 with FR3. I have a RS4 with CR2/FR2 for over a year now, still loving it.

The CR2 seems to be a little different though, mine had the knurling on the locking barrel, but not yours.

The FR3 looks nicer than the FR2 and what I like most about the FR3 is that it is more "rounded" at the edges and would not "scratch" other equipment as easily when you are removing it the strap and storing it, etc.

You have the best version of RS4 now, enjoy it. :D

Yes have, saw the new FR-3 selling at CP marina sq the other day, forgot it's $12 or $25.

Thanks! Oh well, quite lazy to go all the way there. Maybe just make do with what I have now. :)

Sorry TS.

Different versions of Fastenr

First version
fastenr.jpg

Version 2
bk_fastenr2.jpg

Manfrotto version For use with Manfrotto RC2 QR plates.
bk_fastenr_t1.jpg

Version 3 - current version
resize