Black Rapid RS4

And history of connectors

Version 1 connector (connected to ver2 fastenr)
p1020405.jpg

Version 2 connector (with screw lock)
!B8JUMJwEWk~$(KGrHqF,!l0Ey+jC0j21BM2MVewMP!~~0_1.JPG

Version 3 connector (current)
BlackRapid-1-of-1-2.jpg

Hope this helps...

I am on ver2 of both connector and fastenr.

[pic]

[pic]

[pic]

Hope this helps...

ahh. that's most helpful daredevil! :thumbsup:

hmm, i'm also ver 2 of both.

p1020405.jpg

BlackRapid-1-of-1-2.jpg

Hope this helps...

hi daredevil123,

your pictures really speaks a thousands words, thanks.:)

the new one is metallic grey/brown in colour, more rounded, smaller and made from 1 single piece of metal.

the old one is almost stainless steel in appearance, the loop part is a separate part and it swivels on the base fastener. it is therefore a 2-piece design. looking at it, the loop made from a thin rod, bent and clamped into place

u can go www.blackrapid.com to check it out.

thanks, by the way saw your myanmar tour buddies alot using black rapid. nice series.

The present design is the best at the moment. Since you bought it, just relax and use.

yes, i will certainly.

Aiyah. That means i've got the "older" versions. Got the rapid strap 4 when relatively new when it first came out. Eh, anyone checked out if CP has the newer fasteners/connectors? Checking if any of our mass sellers here have them as well. Been using it for a while actually, just that I can be paranoid sometimes, kept checking them once a while.. :sweat:

mass sellers selling about $85 if i am not wrong, i bought mine at $95 from CP, a bit ex, but nevermind.

Yup, as others have stated, you have the CR2 with FR3. I have a RS4 with CR2/FR2 for over a year now, still loving it.

The CR2 seems to be a little different though, mine had the knurling on the locking barrel, but not yours.

The FR3 looks nicer than the FR2 and what I like most about the FR3 is that it is more "rounded" at the edges and would not "scratch" other equipment as easily when you are removing it the strap and storing it, etc.

You have the best version of RS4 now, enjoy it. :D

i like this statement, thanks.

Each version of the connectors have their problems as reported by users worldwide.

Version 1, connector is the easiest to accidentally open on its own...

Version 2, the hinge between the loop and the rectangular belt loop have a tendency to break.

Version 3 - I haven't heard of anything yet since it is so new.

But in each situation the camera comes crashing down. So most heavy users will DIY their failsafe on their black rapids. The following is mine.

4391455857_60ba699e4b_z.jpg

daredevil123 said:
Each version of the connectors have their problems as reported by users worldwide.

Version 2, the hinge between the loop and the rectangular belt loop have a tendency to break.

But in each situation the camera comes crashing down. So most heavy users will DIY their failsafe on their black rapids. The following is mine.

Good point. So far so good with my version 2, but I should probably design a failsafe.

daredevil123 said:

Bro, this fail-safe is intended to prevent the fastener from unscrewing itself during usage?
Or as a secondary support in case the loop breaks open?

Bro, this fail-safe is intended to prevent the fastener from unscrewing itself during usage?

A secondary support in case the loop breaks open.

A secondary support in case the loop breaks open.

ahhh ok :)

is this the weak spot? Looks pretty strong to me.
BlkRapid_01.jpg

ahhh ok :)

is this the weak spot? Looks pretty strong to me.
BlkRapid_01.jpg

Yup, that is the weak spot.

The problem is it is not one piece, but a screw in. And at times, the lock-tite breaks, and the screws unscrew itself. Causing the entire loop to head for the floor.

Yup, that is the weak spot.

The problem is it is not one piece, but a screw in. And at times, the lock-tite breaks, and the screws unscrew itself. Causing the entire loop to head for the floor.
aiyoh.... :sweat:

I stick with my neck strap for the time being... :)

p1020405.jpg

BlackRapid-1-of-1-2.jpg

Hope this helps...

after taking a second look, i think my connector looks more like version 3 as my knob for tightening is the smooth type, no the rough type.

Been using the RS5 with version 3 for my D5000 + Sigma 150-500mm which together weigh in at >2.5kgs.
The setup is difficult to find a front holdable bag for and I find it difficult to have to pull it out everytime I need a shot when I go birding. it's also too heavy to carry handheld for too long. The RS5 makes it a whole lot more portable as I can have it hanging on my shoulder (attached to the lens collar of course).
It's holding up well to 3 months of (ab)use where i've taken it out with this kit continuously for 7 days once and doesn't show any marks of fatigue yet. Although from time to time on long walks with it, I do wish I'd gotten the double shoulder version for better weight distribution.
Btw, I still hold on to the lens collar when I'm doing something like running with it.

Last edited:
aiyoh.... :sweat:

I stick with my neck strap for the time being... :)

I read that they have switched to the much stronger lock-tite red after complaints from the first batch, which were sealed with lock-tite blue.

It should be better now, but I don't leave anything to chance. So a failsafe is a must for me.

daredevil123 said:
I read that they have switched to the much stronger lock-tite red after complaints from the first batch, which were sealed with lock-tite blue.

It should be better now, but I don't leave anything to chance. So a failsafe is a must for me.

Hehehe then in that case if I ever get this strap, I'll use Loctite 638 (green), which takes abt 24hrs to set and requires extreme heat (we use naked flame) in order to give you any chance of opening the screw ;)

Hehehe then in that case if I ever get this strap, I'll use Loctite 638 (green), which takes abt 24hrs to set and requires extreme heat (we use naked flame) in order to give you any chance of opening the screw ;)

Bro, I thought Locktite green is anti vibration?

Red is the one that needs heat to open...

Blue is the weak one.

thanks, so which is better? old or new?

i prefer the new one. firstly, the design seems to enable better tightening with our fingers.
second. the one-piece design should be stronger.

thanks, by the way saw your myanmar tour buddies alot using black rapid. nice series..

tks, we are a bunch of crazy fellows but most of them do have good photos :) we also have a mixtures of old and newer fasteners versions :)

Blue is the weak one.

Sorry, which part are you guys referring to about the loctite ?

Blue is the weak one.
:eek:
maybe I'm mistaken, but I remember it being used on some machine parts, and super hard to get out.
The 'seal' formed by Loctite Red can be broken by heat from a heat gun... but the green one requires the heat from an acetylene torch :)