Black Clothing White Backgroud

defanci

May 19, 2010
www.unique-women-clothing.com
Hi Everyone, I am a newbie trying to take clothing pictures for my online store, hope to get some feedback, any comments welcome. Thanks

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
I will like feedback on photography techniques.
The following is the equipments and settings used to photograph this picture.
Canon EOS 1000D Kit (EF S18-55) with 58mm Multi-Coated UV Filter and tripod
2 x continuous light Softbox and 1 x continuous background light
Camera setting : M Partial Metering AF 1/4 F11 ISO100 AWB

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
To show details of the clothing especially the pockets in this black dress.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Good lighting condition.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
I feel that the outcome is not very good and can be better as I can't see the two pockets clearly unless I enlarge the picture.

defanci.jpg

Last edited:
I did for my blogshop as well some time ago . . .
you should add the full body include the head till the leg . . . think it will be better.

Change your white balance so that 'her skin' colour looks natural.

Just my 2 cents . . . hope you don't mind.
Expert may have better suggestions.

Cheers. :)

overall, there is slight green cast,
and since you are shooting in a control light situation, you should use custom WB to get consistent results.

as this material is aborting light, texture won't really show, if you increase the exposure, you will probelly overexpose other areas, you may alter the lighting position to see is there any improvement.

hope this help.

you should add the full body include the head till the leg . . . think it will be better.

in composition, cropping is use to deemphasize the unwanted elements in photos, TS is selling cloths not mannequin. :)

overall, there is slight green cast,
and since you are shooting in a control light situation, you should use custom WB to get consistent results.

as this material is aborting light, texture won't really show, if you increase the exposure, you will probelly overexpose other areas, you may alter the lighting position to see is there any improvement.

hope this help.

Thank you for the advise, will try the WB.

I feel that the outcome is not very good and can be better as I can't see the two pockets clearly unless I enlarge the picture.

]

Exposure is not bright enough. Can increase the exposure in photoshop, and the contrast slightly to bring out the details. Adjust the "tint" slider to counteract the green color cast.

But even at this size in the web, you probably can't see too much details in the pockets unless you zoom in to crop a magnified image of the pocket and show it side by side with the main image.

Exposure is not bright enough. Can increase the exposure in photoshop, and the contrast slightly to bring out the details. Adjust the "tint" slider to counteract the green color cast.

But even at this size in the web, you probably can't see too much details in the pockets unless you zoom in to crop a magnified image of the pocket and show it side by side with the main image.

Thanks John, touching up using photoshop is very time consuming as I have hundreds of design to shoot. I am trying to find the best setting for both camera and lighting so that I can use it for all future shooting. I think my main problem is that I am trying to archive a pure white background and this cause the difference exposure for the product and background. I have yet to try catchlights and weegk's suggestion of adjusting the WB, will update after testing the WB.

Thanks John, touching up using photoshop is very time consuming as I have hundreds of design to shoot. I am trying to find the best setting for both camera and lighting so that I can use it for all future shooting. I think my main problem is that I am trying to archive a pure white background and this cause the difference exposure for the product and background. I have yet to try catchlights and weegk's suggestion of adjusting the WB, will update after testing the WB.
for getting pure white background, you need to keep your subject far away from background, and light the background separately.

.......... try not to cut off the model's head (live or mannequin)