Black and White Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agenda

Deregistered
Jun 24, 2008
Tampines
Interested to do some B&W, normally for B&W shots, do you take a coloured one then photoshop it or just use the camera's built in style to directly shoot in B&W?

Other than CPL filter, what else is needed? Such as flash and others?

And, anythings to note about taking B&W? Such as avoiding overexposed skies and such?

Thanks!

Better to take a coloured photo and convert during PP. If you take coloured photos you can convert to B/W, but if you take B/W photos, you cannot convert back to colour. Take note of the contrast in B/W photos.

Shoot in color then convert to B&W in PP.

There's anonther thread of the same question. The search function in CS would help. :)

aiyo, you never ask me. i'm sitting beside you nia leh. :bsmilie:
you go and search through the threads, will be able to find my thread.

cheerios ;)

Interested to do some B&W, normally for B&W shots, do you take a coloured one then photoshop it or just use the camera's built in style to directly shoot in B&W?

And, anythings to note about taking B&W? Such as avoiding overexposed skies and such?

Thanks!

Shooting in B/W gives a different view VS shooting in colour & convert to B/W.
Try it, and you'll get what I mean.

Unless you are shooting using Live View set to B/W mode, our normal view is thru the viewfinder which of course you will be viewing the frame in color. So shoot normally and convert to B/W in post. Different B/W processing creates different effects.

thanks for all the replies people!

CPL is not a must.Neither is flash.Just shoot in colour and convert to digital.Do note that it is not really recommended to shoot directly in B&W unless you are using B&W film as you lose all colour data when shooting digital B&W.

CPL is not a must.Neither is flash.Just shoot in colour and convert to digital.Do note that it is not really recommended to shoot directly in B&W unless you are using B&W film as you lose all colour data when shooting digital B&W.

yeap, agree on that. Saves trouble with coloured filters and all which are a must for good film B&W photography :sticktong

take it in colour then convert it to black and white on something like lightroom.. it lets you play with the different colour levels to create some interesting images...

take it in colour then convert it to black and white on something like lightroom.. it lets you play with the different colour levels to create some interesting images...

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.