Black and white negs

Status
Not open for further replies.

shojibake

Dec 7, 2004
Here's a question. I've got a couple of rolls that were shot on black and white film that supports c41 colour processing. It was either an ilford xp2 or a kodak black and white. I went to develop a few again, but the shop charges me for black and white processing.

Wouldn't the negs be black and white but still can be processed using normal colour development? And how to differentiate between each?

shojibake said:
Here's a question. I've got a couple of rolls that were shot on black and white film that supports c41 colour processing. It was either an ilford xp2 or a kodak black and white. I went to develop a few again, but the shop charges me for black and white processing.

Wouldn't the negs be black and white but still can be processed using normal colour development? And how to differentiate between each?

NAME THE SHOP. PUT IT ON THE BLACKLIST! :bsmilie:

They should not be charging you any differently from the usual charges for processing C41 because both these films *are* c41 films. There is zero difference in workflow, zero difference in effort, cost, materials............. that is unless you made prints as well and you gave them too much grief over colour corrections.

At least that's my experience.

I would agree with Kahheng.

For Xp2 and TCN, you should be paying the same amount as color negatives for processing the negatives.

But before you blacklist this company, have you found out what do they charge for C41 processing and silver negatives processing? With fewer customers doing color negatives processing, could the cost of C41 have gone up?

No not going to reveal... hehehe.... actually going back again. Will be putting this down as oversight on their part, unless they try something else. 3 strikes and i'll never visit anymore. I actually like the lady. I was printing digital, b&w and colour btw, and everything cost the same except for the b&w. I reasoned for a while until i saw that the negatives had the words black and white on them. Am i wrong?

shojibake said:
No not going to reveal... hehehe.... actually going back again. Will be putting this down as oversight on their part, unless they try something else. 3 strikes and i'll never visit anymore. I actually like the lady. I was printing digital, b&w and colour btw, and everything cost the same except for the b&w. I reasoned for a while until i saw that the negatives had the words black and white on them. Am i wrong?

C41 is C41.. It doesn't matter whether the film is B&W or colour. If it's C41, it can be processed with the machine regardless of whether it's B&W film or colour film. So it should cost the same for developing.

If it's conventional E6 slide film or B&W film that need to be processed by hand in a darkroom with more costly chemicals, then there's reason to charge more.

shojibake said:
It could be that the person who handles the cashregister only looks at what is written on the envelope (I suppose they didn't write black and white ON the negatives? Did they?)............I believe most shops charge extra for black and white developing, which is what she was charging you, not knowing it was just a black/white film based on colour film (C41 developing), vause she only saw the envelope, not the film itself.........

Hong Sien

Yes actually liking the people is a big factor for revisits. The negs did say black and white on them at the borders so i gave her the benefit of a doubt.

shojibake said:

What a wussy consumer you are. Willing to take up to three strikes. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.