Black and White film processing course

Status
Not open for further replies.

qinglai

Jun 2, 2003
Visit site
For those who are interested in developing your own black and white negatives, Stanley Lim Colour Centre is opening up registration for 2nd intake now. Currently, lessons are going on for 1st intake students. I am lucky to be one of those who have the opportunity to learn from Stanley the art of black and white film processing. So far, I have been impressed with the way the course is being conducted and the results I am getting from my negatives. The best part is that the whole process is easy and fast and the results excellent.

I would highly recommend this course to anyone who are interested to develop their own b+w films. For more information on this course, you can contact Joanne on 98583502 (She is a really friendly person to talk to).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

also get to learn how to read a negative so that you will not repeat the same mistakes again.

it's fun processing your own film and see the results after that.

and it's definitely fun experience learning from stanley.

highly recommended for those who like to take black and white. ;)

is this just a processing course??
does it cover printing? if no, where can I do printing myself? d
do they have a darkroom for u to do yr own printing?

thanks

bedrock said:

thanks

The monochrome course offered by SAFRA PC teaches b&w photo taking skills, processing, printing, and mounting. It is a very good course and you need to go through it AND pass the assessment to be allowed to use the SAFRA darkroom. For your info, SAFRA PC will have a new club house soon, and the new darkroom will be :thumbsup:.

sfhuang said:
The monochrome course offered by SAFRA PC teaches b&w photo taking skills, processing, printing, and mounting. It is a very good course and you need to go through it AND pass the assessment to be allowed to use the SAFRA darkroom. For your info, SAFRA PC will have a new club house soon, and the new darkroom will be :thumbsup:.

Hi there,

Just wanna have a fast + general info from you guys who had joined the course previously or those who have the found out the info on the B&W course...
1. May I know where is the venue of the studio of the B&W course going to be conducted?
2. What is the duration of the course?
3. Is it on weekend or weekdays?

Cheers.

bedrock said:

thanks

Yes, this is just a processing course (4 lessons).

Lesson 1 teaches the theory.
Lesson 2 is practical and you develop your own b+w films.
Lesson 3+4 are on push and pull techniques.

Printing can be done in any lab. The idea of the course is to make it simple and hassle free. Printing will require a darkroom which might be troublesome to setup for some pple. For developing, you can do it without a darkroom.

-7- said:
Hi there,

Just wanna have a fast + general info from you guys who had joined the course previously or those who have the found out the info on the B&W course...
1. May I know where is the venue of the studio of the B&W course going to be conducted?
2. What is the duration of the course?
3. Is it on weekend or weekdays?

Cheers.

1. Stanley Lim Colour Centre
122 Middle Road #02-03 Midlink Plaza S(188973)
About 5mins walk away from Bugis mrt.
Or call Joanne at 98583502 for more info.

2. 4 weeks (1 lesson per week)
Call Joanne if you have specific enquiries about the course syllabus

3. Currently, it is on every tue. But they are quite flexible on the schedule. Talk to Joanne, she will be able to advise you.

hmmm funny to learn just processing without printing. i always thot b/w processing n printing go hand in hand ...

thanks anyway...will examine other b/w courses b4 making a decision.

Anyway juz an update from Joanne on the 2nd intake for the black and white processing course....
We already have 3 participants who have signed up...
the course will begin on 7th June... so those interested can contact Joanne...

cheers

bedrock said:
hmmm funny to learn just processing without printing. i always thot b/w processing n printing go hand in hand ...

SAFRA PC offers a full monochrome course. Attending it and passing the final assessment are pre-requisites for being allowed to use the SAFRA PC Dark room.

what's the cost of it ?

bedrock said:

There is a reason why Stanley structured the course in this way. I would recommend you to drop by and visit Stanley and have a chat with him. He will be in a better position to explain the rationale to you and at the same time, take a look at the course materials and some of the works he has done. Do call Joanne first to make an appt with him.

bedrock said:

Not necessary .... not everyone has a darkroom at home .... not everyone want to wait for hours for pictures to display ...... Me think to learn to get enough contrast from B & W picture more important ..... B & W no colour .... contrast is essential .....

Nowadays, there is an invention called a film scanner ..... what you need is to scan the film into the computer then pick those you like to print and send it to be printed at a neighbour shop .....

sfhuang said:
SAFRA PC offers a full monochrome course. Attending it and passing the final assessment are pre-requisites for being allowed to use the SAFRA PC Dark room.

Hmmm .... seems like you had attended the course .... so how does your B & W picture flare? Your processing good? Just like to know from a student of SAFRA.

There were some enquiries on the b+w course fee and what it includes. The course fee is $250. It includes a b+w kit which by itself is almost $150. So you are only paying $100 for the course which amounts to only $25 per lesson. Furthermore, chemicals for the processing are provided free during the lessons.

Things you need to pay for are your own b+w films and the printing you will do on your developed films.

blurblock said:
Hmmm .... seems like you had attended the course .... so how does your B & W picture flare? Your processing good? Just like to know from a student of SAFRA.

http://sfhuang.clubsnap.org/gallery/blackandwhite

note: my standard not that good and not representative of the standard of the course. :angel:

denis said:
what's the cost of it ?

$125 for SAFRA PC members. IMO it is worth every cent, because you get to use chemicals, paper (for two lessons) FOC, and most importantly to learn B&w from shooting to printing. There're also two outdoor excursions, one with an engaged model.

Print-wise, they teach you from 3R all the way to 12R, and mounting/retouching as well.

Just to clarify, I am not saying Stanley's course is not good. I was also his student before. In fact I had requested that he conduct a B&W course. ;p What disappointed me somewhat was that he didn't teach printing, which to me is a very important aspect. Both courses have their pros and cons, go with the one you feel benefits you more.

sfhuang said:
http://sfhuang.clubsnap.org/gallery/blackandwhite

note: my standard not that good and not representative of the standard of the course. :angel:

Seen your pictures, not too bad, except not contrasty enough and some "bubble" trace .... :D ....

Never tried to develop Black and White before .... maybe I should try to take and develop one roll :D ...... before I join one of the course :D

blurblock said:
Seen your pictures, not too bad, except not contrasty enough and some "bubble" trace .... :D ....

Never tried to develop Black and White before .... maybe I should try to take and develop one roll :D ...... before I join one of the course :D

actually you can adjust contrast during printing. Bubble-trace can be easily seen via film scans, but they do not affect my prints. You should try developing b&w it's very satisfying.

sfhuang said:

how often does safra organise this course ?? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.