black and white editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

edrizal

May 2, 2005
Yishun
edblaine.deviantart.com
hey guys...
anyone here whose kind enough to share their b/w editing techniques? ...sometime back someone told me to just grayscale the image, i notice tht its way too flat. anyone with better tips?!

These are a few i use:
1. Channel Mixer (My fav) - then check the Monocrome box, and adjust the sliders as you wish.
2. LAB Black and White - Change the Photo from RGB to LAB, and choose the Lightness channel.
3. - (My lazy way) - Hue Saturation Lightness - Just cut down the saturation level to 0.

There are many other ways to change an image to BnW... but I personally dont like the way of changing it to Grayscale.

Alternatively, you could do a search in google for this photographer named Greg Gorman. Just follow his steps for B&W.

So far, I find that is about the best method for B&W.

Try reading the book by John Beardsworth, titled " Digital Black & White photography". They discussed in details the various techniques inside.

Aletrnatively, try posing the same question in Circle of light B&W forum, the gurus there would probably give u even better shortcuts to achieve the effects that darkroom can creat.

Their website: www.ecircleoflight.org

Hey Ed!

There's an issue of Photoi Magazine that explains a LAB technique to convert black & white.

I know there are alot of ways but I always refer to that magazine & it works everytime.... If we have a chance to meet up, I can pass you the mag.

p/s: I've always wondered how this guy does it:

http://www.pbase.com/luminous

man! I love his black & white.....

I like to convert to B&W in RAW plug-in in CS2, whilst bumping up the Shadows value to around 60. Gives good contrasty pics.

You can check out my website:http://www.phildatephotography.com. Most of the pics were turned to B&W either by this method or by using Channel Mixer. Never turn to Grayscale and rarerly just Desaturate.

the hard way (using the GIMP):
- channel mixer (usually red+green)
- dodge+burn
- curves (adjust contrast and/or tone)

the easy way:
- use the 'filtered B&W' effect in picasa

Status
Not open for further replies.