Black and White conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurgaFlippinMan

Jun 20, 2004
Can some one give me hints on how to do good bnw conversions? I'm currently using the channel mixer style, but have not been able to make my pictures look enough like b&w film. Is it possible? Thanks. :)

one of the way in Photoshop is to desaturate the image and then auto-contrast.

Using the Channel Mixer is considered the 'best' way of changing an RGB pic into B&W. However, it takes some skill to balance the levels correctly. If in doubt, try to just Desaturate and then play with levels/curves.

Never convert to Greyscale (but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this)!

I have seen a more complex tutorial on using Channel Mixer - when I can distill the essence of this to you I will.

Phildate said:
I have seen a more complex tutorial on using Channel Mixer - when I can distill the essence of this to you I will.

Thanks! Look forward to it. :)

What I always do is to use a "Gradient Map" of black and white. This allows me to adjust the starting/ending of the black and white sliders, allowing me to adjust the amount of "dark/light contrast/saturation". To me it simulates the high contrast effect of B/W film quite well (which of course enhances the lighting and shadows in the pict)

Examples:

Purposely made darker
Highlights turned down by increasing the black gradient slightly
High contrast gritty feel

Denosha said:
What I always do is to use a "Gradient Map" of black and white. This allows me to adjust the starting/ending of the black and white sliders, allowing me to adjust the amount of "dark/light contrast/saturation". To me it simulates the high contrast effect of B/W film quite well (which of course enhances the lighting and shadows in the pict)

Examples:

Purposely made darker
Highlights turned down by increasing the black gradient slightly
High contrast gritty feel

Thanks! But erm, how does the the Gradient Map work? I mean, what slider does what? :) Again, thanks for your help, I'm still quite a newbie to PS....:)

Gradient map simply changes the colours in ur pic to the gradient selected (doesn't have to be black and white). The sliders are the 2 coloured tabs just below the gradient in the advanced options screen.

Check out this tutorial. Not exactly what i do but it gives u an idea of what i mean. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.