Birding Trip to Ulu Muda, Kedah in 11-15 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

mphil

Jan 23, 2002
Visit site
I am planning a birding trip to Ulu Muda, Kedah in 11-15 October. Looking for 2 or 3 fellow birders to share costs. This trip is more of a recce trip as it is the first time I am going there too.

More details of the location can be found here. (Earth Lodge at Ulu Muda). It is one of the few places where you can find all 10 species of hornbills in W. Malaysia. Ulu Muda is only one of two sites in the world where the rare plain-pouched hornbill gather is large flocks. Besides hornbills there are otters, wild boars, large montor lizards, great eared nightjar and elephants being regularly spotted there.

Please PM me for more details if you are interested.

Ulu Muda has been recognized a long time ago as an important area for mega fauna or large mammals.
Elephants, Tapirs, Rhinoceros, Tigers, Leopards and Gaurs are among the large mammals known to call
Ulu Muda home. There is also a rich diversity of birds including large flocks of the globally-threatened plain-pouched hornbill.

Our journey starts from Singapore to Penang by overnight coach followed by a 2 hours trip from Butterworth to Muda Lake Jetty by taxi. From the Muda Lake Jetty a one and a half hour ride on a traditional long-tailed wooden boat across the lake and up the Muda River will take us to Earth Lodge at Kuala Labua.

Some of the activities you can experience include visits to salt licks, swimming and frolicking in cold forest streams, tubing down river, visit a limestone hill and its mysterious caves and watching birds and other wildlife.

Sites for photography are all close by around the lodge or along trails accessible by foot or along the river accessible by boat (use of boat inclusive in package).

On the return journey, we should have a few hours in Penang before catching the overnight coach from Penang to Singapore.

The trip is confirmed. I will be purchasing the bus tickets this weekend to ensure we have seats. Still got time to consider if you are not decided on the trip. Let me know by Sat 31 Aug if you want to join us.

Last call, after today, any additions will be subject to availability of bus tickets. Thanks.

Seats still available....

remember to start a photo sharing thread once u guys are back

best of luck !! good shooting !

Status
Not open for further replies.