Birdie shots

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
A question for the experts: when is the best time to shoot birds locally? From their calls, they seem to be most active in the early morning and dusk, correct? Also, what's the best position? Shooting from ground up I often get the sky in the background, backlighting the bird. But try to find a perch at tree level not easy leh. Any tips? Thanks.

A question for the experts: when is the best time to shoot birds locally? From their calls, they seem to be most active in the early morning and dusk, correct? Also, what's the best position? Shooting from ground up I often get the sky in the background, backlighting the bird. But try to find a perch at tree level not easy leh. Any tips? Thanks.

Usually the preferred time is early morning and late evening where they are at the most active moment, also the sun at the timing is not that harsh compared to afternoon time.

The best position to shoot the birds is the time where the bird is at eye level which do not happen most of the time. Some birds are very fast and do not stay still, so your lens and cam body combo need to be fast focusing, you yourself must react fast also, do not do big movement like running after the birds or swing your lens here and there, you will scare off the birds. Move toward the bird slowly and if you see somebody shooting birds in front of you, approach them by the side slowly, not direct, you will scare the birds off.

Need a good background? you need to position yourself well so that you can get a good background. You need a lot of practise... cheers

Could I ask a related question? I'm having trouble locating birds on trees. There are times I'm very sure there are birds on a tree from the distance and direction of sound. But no matter how hard I look, including thr viewfinder on my camera, I still couldn't locate the bird before it flies off.... Any advise or directions I can seek help?

Could I ask a related question? I'm having trouble locating birds on trees. There are times I'm very sure there are birds on a tree from the distance and direction of sound. But no matter how hard I look, including thr viewfinder on my camera, I still couldn't locate the bird before it flies off.... Any advise or directions I can seek help?
Put on a bird suit.................................:bsmilie: :bsmilie: ;p

I think probably the birds are hidden behind the leaves/branches...it would too hard to shoot since it's dark..probably a better way is to study them and find a pattern of route they might take to "ambush" them...haha...lighting is still important... I dread having backlit coz my lens will exhibit strong CA...

Another question: do you really need that $13,000 600mm f4 in order to succeed as a birdie snapper?

so tt's your secret...lol..question is suit of what bird? confirm not predator type right..
Ssshhhhhh..........................not so loud....................haha :bsmilie:
Just bring a few, in case the species you are after is not there.................but please dun wear the sesame street big bird suit. You can be spotted miles away............:bsmilie: :bsmilie:. Then you'll be shot instead..............:sweatsm:

Another question: do you really need that $13,000 600mm f4 in order to succeed as a birdie snapper?

No. A 500 f4 with tc might be sufficient if you can get close.

Tell me which bird suit you'll be wearing, I'll go shoot you..................:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I'll try calling TVBS if they still have the 神雕 suit from 神雕侠侣.

But you'll probably only gonna shoot me that day. wahahahaha

I'll try calling TVBS if they still have the 神雕 suit from 神雕侠侣.

But you'll probably only gonna shoot me that day. wahahahaha
Whatever that suit is from TVBS, I'll go shoot you....................:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

This is great to have...coz at f4 it's going to work with a 1.4TC to get even more reach. But the price doesn't suit my pocket...haha..
I am more of the kind who hand holds my lenses even for birding. So a 400mm is good..500mm is abit hard to manage for me..

Then I'll need a Hookpak :p

Anyway, seriously, is there any advice for spotting birds? I'm a bit disheartened by the several occasions that I can hear the birds near me but I cannot even see them.

Then I'll need a Hookpak :p

Anyway, seriously, is there any advice for spotting birds? I'm a bit disheartened by the several occasions that I can hear the birds near me but I cannot even see them.
If its a dense forest, chances are its hard to spot them not to mention if they are small birds.
Some birds do make more noise than other birds. Some are bigger birds & some are much smaller birds. Some call while flying & some call while perching. But, anyway, its up to them where & when to call. so..................
You have to train your ears to follow where the call is coming from & you need a good pair of binoculars in order to spot them if they are not too far from you.
Unless if you know where the birds congregate, then its easier ;)