Bird Trapper in Wessex Estate

Silas

Apr 12, 2010
Came across this on FB. A man was trapping magpie robins in Wessex Estate.

Fellow nature/birding comrades, do watch out and snap photos of people who are trapping wildlife. Must report them!

Refer to this for what you can do if you spot poachers or wildlife trappers. This is an older incident where two trappers were caught.

Last edited:
KNN !!!

i danm hate people traps birds / hurt small animals !

I suggest we form a task force, a elite team to hunt down that bird trapper.

You all take his picture, leave his bird bird to me!

I will cut it off and put inside his cage !

Thanks for the alert silas! :) :thumbsup:

should trap his kuku bird!

Be careful if you intend to approach the poachers. A couple of my friends who did that got threaten by them and they may resorts to violent. If anyone saw them doing it, call AVA.

KNN !!!

i danm hate people traps birds / hurt small animals !

I suggest we form a task force, a elite team to hunt down that bird trapper.

You all take his picture, leave his bird bird to me!

I will cut it off and put inside his cage !

should trap his kuku bird!

two of you can form a task force liao, I propose your team to be called "Team Bobbit". click on the name if you haven't come across it before.

Thanks for the alert silas! :) :thumbsup:

Don't mention, we need to do our part to ensure the animals survive.

thanks for sharing. i'm both cat and bird lover. never condone such thing despite some older generation chaps do consider such act(trapping) as hobby

I've pondered the cat and bird culling situation for a long time. What's your stance when you see those men armed with their shotguns walking around your neighbourhood?

Be careful if you intend to approach the poachers. A couple of my friends who did that got threaten by them and they may resorts to violent. If anyone saw them doing it, call AVA.

Use our teles to get good shots of their actions and their faces. Then use it as evidence to report to the relevant authorities, possible to pretend to be an interested buyer then get their contact numbers. Their threats won't affect me cos i'm probably more potent then whatever they can offer anyways ;)

we need a team of Angry Birds to attack the wildlife poachers. WARKKKKK!

we need a team of Angry Birds to attack the wildlife poachers. WARKKKKK!

Then the poachers must be PIGS!!!

Sian ...

Nokia phone cannot download the 'angry birds' game ...

Ok ethical dilemma question. What if it's your father/uncle/cousin/ brother/etc who likes to trap them. And they don't care if it's illegal. Would you turn them in?

What about fishing? Is fish lower life than birds or mammals? :)

What about the keeping of tortoises and terrapins and other animals?

What about using our DSLR and shoot at pretty girls without their permission ??

I've pondered the cat and bird culling situation for a long time. What's your stance when you see those men armed with their shotguns walking around your neighbourhoo?

this is a complex issue. those guys, be it with shotgun or net walking around in the name of culling, are just doing their jobs. but some are plain blind too especially with cats. anyhow trapping those little helpless felines. seems cruel,but some of these animals are in bad shape. haizz..can't finish debating these laa

remind me of a cartoon called 'Smurfs' ...

Gagamel chasing and capturing Smurfs ...

Those man with shotgun are not license to do so meh?they r so bad..

They are licensed by the authorities but the authorities should do in it a more humane way instead of shooting them dead. Perhaps a less painful and instantaneous death should be introduced instead if it is a must to kill pigeons, crows and cats.

Ok ethical dilemma question. What if it's your father/uncle/cousin/ brother/etc who likes to trap them. And they don't care if it's illegal. Would you turn them in?

Turning them in won't solve the problem. Perhaps educating them would be a better alternative. They trap the animals because they appreciate the value of the animals when they are sold or eaten. By educating them on the animals' value in other aspects such as their beauty and important roles within the eco-system will enable them to appreciate the animals better than just their monetary or nutritional value. But as you mentioned, the persons may be of an older generation and may not see the light like you've painted. It's just an endless battle ahead i guess.

What about fishing? Is fish lower life than birds or mammals? :)

Fish are also living things and should be appreciated as well as all other animals. However, as mentioned in the post. The animals protected under CITES should not be poached. In my opinion, if the law states that fishing at the reservoir is allowed and there are no restricted/protected native fish types there. Anglers should not be held accountable for the extinction of the fish that were introduced to the reservoir. However, for the case of birds or other wild animals that may be native to Singapore or migratory and declared protected by law. People who capture them are considered to be breaking the law. BAsed on this notion of adhering to the laws governing Singapore. The action of capturing wild animals and fishing in a no fishing zone mean the same thing, breaking the law. My opinion here does not take into consideration the animal rights part of the argument as it is an entirely separate issue.

What about the keeping of tortoises and terrapins and other animals?

Keeping of terrapins is allowed in Singapore and according to AVA, terrapins are the only approved reptile pets. Endangered tortoises such as the popular kept star tortoise ad mata-mata when kept in Singapore is deemed an offence because these animals are protected. So in that sense, the laws are a good gauge for us to follow for those of us facing dilemmas.

However, other reptile pets which are not endangered and not protected such as various types of snakes, geckos, iguanas and other reptiles are popular overseas but not allowed here due to health reasons as stated by AVA. This is a bigger dilemma but ultimately, we should still abide by the law.