Bird shooting trip - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccplim

Jan 6, 2004
BN
www.avianwatchasia.org
Went bird shooting with fellow member harlequin2902 on 28 July 2004 at Neo Tiew and Kranji area. It was fun and consider a great experience for me since this was my first attempt on shooting these birds.

The weather that day was not to our favor as it was really cloudy and misty. Furthermore, I did not deploy my tripod as we are on the move rather than stationary. :sweat:

Comments for improvement and help in identifying these birds are greatly welcome as I am a total newbie when come to them.

Pic #1
CP-28Jul04-01.jpg

Pic #2
CP-28Jul04-03.jpg

Pic #3
CP-28Jul04-05.jpg

Ok, help you to ID :

#1,5 Pacific Swallow
#2 should be a Grey Heron
#3 Little Heron
#4,6 Little Tern

Do you have a closer version of #5 ?

harlequin2902 said:
Ok, help you to ID :

#1,5 Pacific Swallow
#2 should be a Grey Heron
#3 Little Heron
#4,6 Little Tern

Do you have a closer version of #5 ?

Thanks for the help with the IDs!

As for #5, I'm afraid I do not have a closer pic (unless you want to blown up using the original) :( That was already zoom to the max :cry:

Is it in fact a Painted Stork, probably heading for Sungei Buloh. Can't find my checklist for SB to be absolutely sure.

Murray Smith said:
Is it in fact a Painted Stork, probably heading for Sungei Buloh. Can't find my checklist for SB to be absolutely sure.

Thanks for confirming :thumbsup: There were quite a number of them flying overhead when we out that day. At least 10-12 were spotted I think :think: A few of them were flying really high up, and from a distance, could easily be mistaken for a plane.

So is it right to say that the Grey Herons do not fly so high up in the sky as these Storks ?

Thanks.

Hi bro ccplim,

Nice shootings ;). Seems like you have found a new battle ground. :D

Cheers

Hi there, yes in general you would expect storks much higher. They migrate huge distances from Europe to Africa and are accustomed to riding the thermals. Not sure about migration in Asia, but they are certainly high fliers.

Murray Smith said:

Thanks for the confirmation bro! I am really nuts when come to identifying them :sweat: :embrass:

Newguy69 said:
Hi bro ccplim,

Nice shootings ;). Seems like you have found a new battle ground. :D

Cheers

Hehehe....... actually, it's quite fun shooting them :D :D 'I have to brush up more on my skills :sweat:

Yo Bro, how come you never take me there one?

jbma said:
Yo Bro, how come you never take me there one?

Hey bro, these were the ones that I told you I went on a weekday but didn't know that you are not working on that day.

If you interested, we can go end of this month. I should be on leave again ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.