Bird photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

philip827

Aug 17, 2004
upp east coast road
Hello... have some doubts here... please help.
Firstly, is flash necessary for bird photography? Tried taking some pics of birds with D70 and sigma 70-300mm but all of them turn out blur.Shutter speed were all below 1/200s. Camera setting were iso800, 270mm, F8.0. I am thinking maybe the internal flash/SB-800 might help to boost up shutter speed.

Secondly, i am quite short of cash now, so can either purchase a SB-800 or a good tripod.Which do you think is better?

Thanks for your advices...

You will need both. But I guess the flash is more important as you can use it for many things. A tripod is also necessary but can wait. Just my opinion.

Both are almost equally as important. Fill-flash is an almost essential component of nature photography of any type. Same with what bro. jbma had mentioned, I would suggest you get the external flash first, SB-800 is an excellent choice. A sturdy tripod + ballhead would be the next purchase, get the Manfrotto 190/055 series with a Manfrotto ballhead (e.g 486RC2), both will cost you abt $250-$280 together.

Unless you have Nikon VR lens....you need to remember shutter speed needs to be at least 1/focal length when no tripod is used. Try using a lower f-stop number. Because, f8 usually not possible in low light. Flash in 'fill' mode will not solve the blur problem.

Bird photography is an expensive hobby.

Thanks for the fast response...
I have read that the sigma 70-300mm apo is not sharp at 300mm F5.6. Thats why use f8.
As for taking birds with the SB-800... will i need the flash extender too?

Status
Not open for further replies.