Billingham Hadley Pro review

louis23

Jun 22, 2008
ANG MO KIO
Barely 2 days after the last day of CNY, I took the plunge (albeit having done lots of research and checking out the best prices in town) and got a friend to bring in the Hadley Pro for me.

IMG_1890.JPG

It came in this really cool bag.

1%2Bfirst.JPG

And here it is. The Billingham Hadley Pro in Khaki-tan trim. I chose canvas instead of the fibrenyte one because I'd love the bag to age gracefully on canvas, rather than fibrenyte. Although some say fibrenyte is more resistant to colour loss, so another fibrenyte bag will retain its colour more easily than a canvas one after a few years.

17%2Bchain.JPG

The bag came with a nice leather tag as well!

2%2BIMG_0293.JPG

The front features the quick release leather straps and accompanying brass fittings. The method of opening the bag is very cool yet classy looking. You pull the strap upwards, then outwards and the brass fitting just pops loose from the leather strap silently. Totally different experience from Crumpler velcros. It may get addictive after awhile, like it did for me.

3%2BIMG_0294.JPG

Here's how it looks when you open the front flap up. Also present are the twin flappy pockets.

Last edited:
4%2BIMG_0295.JPG

The carrying handle feels absolutely solid. No worries about carrying it on the handle when the weight is too much for my shoulders.

5%2BIMG_0296.JPG

Leather on canvas.

6%2BIMG_0299.JPG

Leather and brass.

7%2BIMG_0300.JPG

The Billingham tab.

8%2BIMG_0302.JPG

The padded insert compartment.

9%2BIMG_0304.JPG

In the compartment, I can fit in (from left to right) a Canon 50mm f1.8, a 1L Nike water bottle and another "24-105 f4L lens".

10%2BIMG_0305.JPG

Here's how they look, standing against the bag. The bottle can fit in the bag nicely, for the bag to be closed comfortably.

11%2BIMG_0858.JPG

"24-105 f4L" / 18-55 kit lens / 550D

12%2BIMG_0863.JPG

Nike bottle / 550D with 50mm f1.8 mounted / 18-55 kit lens
All three items fit in nicely, without any tight spaces at all.

13%2BIMG_0864.JPG

Behind the insert, I can even slide in my 13" MacBook Pro.
And the MBP would fit in all the way, enabling the bag to close properly.

Last edited:
14%2BIMG_0308.JPG

The insert can be removed too! And the bag becomes a nice messenger bag. Good for school.

15%2BIMG_0310.JPG

2 textbooks, a foolscap pad and my MBP can all fit in there.

16%2Ball%2Bstuff.JPG

How about the pencil case? No worries there, I can even fit a calculator, wallet and iPhone in the twin flappy pockets in front, which can be made even bigger by unbuttoning them.

IMG_0322.jpg

There is a zippered pocket at the back as well. Capable of accepting things like passports or small notes.

IMG_0323.jpg

The size of the pocket may seem to suggest it can accommodate A4-sized documents, but the entry point wasn't generous enough. I couldn't fit my A4 pad in, unless I really tried to squeeze and cramp it in, which defeats the purpose.

Overall, the feel, looks and capabilities of the bag have sort of neutralize the pain of the cost of the bag. It certainly looks nothing like a Crumpler, but I believe with its build-quality, it can endure years and years of handling my current and future photographic gear, schooldays and the frequent photo outings in future. Now all it lacks is a film camera, which will be fulfilled when my grandfather's Nikon FG returns from the repair shop.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: for Billingham bags.

i got 2! Using hadley original (i dun like handles) and 335.

:)

sinned79 said:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: for Billingham bags.

i got 2! Using hadley original (i dun like handles) and 335.

:)

Nice. The one in ur avatar is the sage green original? Handles are good. Can be useful, although it dampens the look abit. Abit. Haha.

louis23 said:
Nice. The one in ur avatar is the sage green original? Handles are good. Can be useful, although it dampens the look abit. Abit. Haha.

Yup but mine is fibernyte material. When i buy that time only got black canvas which i dun like the color haha so i took the sage fibernyte.

nice review :)

this is my favourite camera bag too :)

It's a great bag, good size and well thought out. Very resilient to abuse - I've had mine for 3 years, thrown it around, put it on mud, sandy beaches, you name it, I probably have done it. Walked through the rain countless times with it, camera gear was dry. Of course, it won't withstand huge engulfing splashes in the water, it's happened once and well, only one lithium ion battery was ruined. :)

How much is the price? may i ask?

a little curious on the color of the bag, is it close to the non-flash pics or the flash pics?

on the non-flash pics, the khaki color looks very faded and light, very different from my own hadley pro, while the ones in the pics with flash looks closer to what mine looks like

Hi, I have been using Hadley since 90s. Its still with me today. I also got it from the local agent. i think it cost about $300 then.
I use it for the following reasons:

1. It doesnt shout 'camera bag'
2. Its green padded compartments can be taken out and used as a messenger bag
3. Although its canvas, its got some protective lining cause I have used it in rain and snow

You will enjoy the bag as it will age gracefully.

cheers

ricleo said:
a little curious on the color of the bag, is it close to the non-flash pics or the flash pics?

on the non-flash pics, the khaki color looks very faded and light, very different from my own hadley pro, while the ones in the pics with flash looks closer to what mine looks like

Hi, the colour of my bag is closer to that in the non-flash pics. I realise the colour is slightly yellowish in the flash pics, but khaki in non-flash.

Very beautiful bag. Makes me want to get 1 too

:thumbsup:

I got the same one for coming to 3 years now.
Loving it very much. The handle and the zippered compartment is very useful to have.
I use it almost everyday to carry my camera except the day i need to carry a lot more other camera stuff then i would use my domke f3x.
;)

moski77 said:
:thumbsup:

I got the same one for coming to 3 years now.
Loving it very much. The handle and the zippered compartment is very useful to have.
I use it almost everyday to carry my camera except the day i need to carry a lot more other camera stuff then i would use my domke f3x.
;)

Nice. Is ur bag the same colour and material (khaki canvas)? If u don mind, please post a picture or two of it. Share how it looks after 3 years. :)

Hi, the colour of my bag is closer to that in the non-flash pics. I realise the colour is slightly yellowish in the flash pics, but khaki in non-flash.

ooo thanks! i don't really know if my bag is the fibrenyte or canvas one haha...bought my hadley pro 2nd hand but forgot to ask the seller :p but the color does not look as muted/washed out as yours

I am a hadley pro owner too. Love the way it is and serve me well. Cheers

Cool review..I tried to review it a while back but it didn't get posted due to some complications with the mods..am a happy owner to this bag too mine is in sage...with avea 3..