Bike sharing abuse & rescue

one eye jack

Jun 11, 2011
This scene is not staged, it's real. Saw it during regular jog during weekend.
I return to the scene this morning to document it.It was a shock when I first discovered it.
Others can also post here as a repository of people behaving badly with bikes.:eek:
You get to practice your photo journalistic photography skills.

Company: Obike
Date/time: 28-8-2017 /9.45am.
Bike no: 065011683
Status: Rescued in good condition, carried and parked 200M from site opposite Queensway sec. school.
Camera: Lumix G1/M43 + kitlens /Unretouched jpegs.

$Ridout1.jpg
Where the obike was found.It was parked along footpath previously.
Footpath leads to Ridout road where there is a private estate.

$Ridout2.jpg
Another view.Looking towards Margaret drive/ Queensway sec. sch.

$Ridout3.jpg
Close up..it's like a scene from world war2 plane wreckage.

$Ridout4.jpg
Rescued to ride another day (left bike).:)
You can see climber plant curled around bike's front wheel at bottom.
(Pulled off most of weeds,you can imagine it was some weeks ago.)

$Ridout5.jpg
Obike serial number.

Last edited:
Rescue no:2
Since I started today might as well do another as I know there are 2 bikes in another location along my usual jogging route.The bikes have been there for some weeks.
This is not abuse but improper parking as the bus stop is nearby.

Date/time: 28-8-2017/after 4pm
company:Obike
number of bikes:3 ( a recent bike at traffic light post)
Serial no: not relevant as this is not outright abuse.

$kaysiang1.jpg

Location opposite Skyville @ Dawson Margaret/Kay Siang rd. Junction.
the second bike is by the tree .I had to wait for the sun to pop out
to illuminate this 2nd. bike.

$kaysiang2.jpg
Closeup of 2nd. bike,it's by the tree because it's bike stand is missing/stolen.
Then I noticed a 3rd. bike at the traffic light post.

$kaysiang3.jpg
The problem with resting beside a tree is after awhile nature claims as it's own.
Ants have occupied the spaces as their home.These are not the usual ants found in homes but
bigger ones and they bite!

$kaysiang5.jpg
Another view opposite skyville to show it's only across the street but path is not
used often by it's residents.

$kaysiang6.jpg
Now this is a staged photo as I put the bikes there.From experience I noticed that
bikes get picked up faster if they are at the bus top which is about 80M from the spot.
This time I was smarter that instead of carrying the bikes I lifted the back wheel and rolled them to the bus stop.The one without the bike stand is resting beside the pillar
of the bus stop.

Hope by the time people use the bike that was infested by ants (they would have left for better safer location or else I'm afraid the ants might bite he/she in awkward places!

Since the bikes are solar powered it's best to not park them in the shade like under a tree.

Last edited:
Date/time: 2-9-2017 / 10:15 am.
Company: Obike. Serial no: 065007595

This is the 2nd. time I see a seatless bike. my guess is either user took it home the seat (so that it becomes his personal bike) or it was stolen. There are no cctv camera at this location.

Missing bike seat.
$stirlingsm.jpg

A view of the location..this leads to the mrt station which is busy with people during peak hours.
$stirling1sm.jpg

Last edited:
Date/time: 3-9-2017 / 2:48pm
Company : Obike Serial no: 065503641

This is one of 3 bikes rescued in post # 2.
I saw the tell tale vandalism signs during my regular jog yesterday. The 3 bikes were still there but when I returned there today the two other bikes were hired,even the one with missing bike stand.

$kaysiangvansm.jpg

Closeup of the bicycle seat slashed.
$kaysiangclosesm.jpg

Unfortunate incident.
Date /time: 5-9-2017 /6.30pm.
Location: Stirling Rd. opp. blk 143,back of Queens Condo. (meters away from the bike in post #3).
Company: Obike ser. no. : 065016173

This is like post #3 which was deliberate (or is it the same circumstances) but it was a case of things came loose (bike seat clamp).
Seat shaft fell back into the frame so user could not rectify it.I went back this morning and the bike's seat was gone! On hindsight I should have taken it back with me but I thought the shaft was taken also when I looked closely at the photo I thought I saw the shaft still there but it was a step cut on the tube. Luckily I took the photo right after I saw the bike's condition.So I learn to seize the photo opportunity whenever it arises. Too bad I could not help.

$queenssm.jpg

$queens1sm.jpg

Last edited:
Since I had a spare bicycle seat from a discarded bike I took it down to replace the missing one in post #5.

Date/time: 6-9-2017 /1:40pm.
Obike swer. no.065016173

I used a long nose plier to pull out bike seat extension tube but it came out a short length only.
Sprayed WD40 lubricant and using a pair of plumber's pliers (adjutable jaw width) twist and turn to get it out a reasonable length. Then fasten my extra seat to it.

A boy passing by told me he has seen vandalism happen to many bikes around here, even the slashed bike seats and broken bike locks so that it can be used for free.There was one case one bike was badly damaged (more like bashed),police came around to investigate and I think police know such acts of vandalism are occuring.The young boy told me he has seen an adult (race indistinguishable by him) trying to vandalise bikes.Seem like there is a disturbed individual going around slashing and destroying bikes.:eek:

You may wonder why I'm doing this,well the bike seat had been sitting in the storeroom for a few years,why keep something when there is an obvious need elsewhere.I don't know whether you believe this or not but philantropists gve away money for a reason,it's not only doing good but when you give something you get back 10 times what you give or in kind.It's a universal law (metaphysics).

The pulled extension bike seat tube.PS it seems it is easy to remove bike seat without tools.Just apply some light oil and twist/turn and it will come off. Even violent twist and turn can do it in the case of the vandal.
$queens2sm.jpg

Obike rides again!
$queens3sm.jpg

Last edited:
Some people really suck sir. Some dont. Its a struggle for sure. Always has been always will be. Kudos to those who are awake! Please let me sleep a minute more...:confused:

Last edited:
Bike seat slashed and loose bike stand

Date /time: 7-9-2017 /12:55pm
company: Obike ser. no: 065032967

Saw this bike at the back of shophouse but initially it was at the lift lobby
where there are CCTVs.The standing order for cleaner person is to clear all rubbish from public common areas hence the present location.

Despite cctv user deliberately park at lobby seems wanting to challenge police.The seat was slashed and the bike stand was missing a screw.I pushed it to the other end of the building beside the road where it accessed the market and food center thereby more people will see it.

The biggest screw I had were M5 metric and the missing screw was M6 X 12mm.
but the hardware store had only M6 X 10mm and 60mm long version plus hexagonal head instead of star head with security pin inside.To play safe I bought the 4 pc. pack of 60mm for $2.50 and hacksawed it down to 12mm.Nice that it was stainless steel too.I dabbed some UHU glue to lock the screwthread, hopefully this will make the screw stay put for longer.

Where it was..
$myblksm.jpg

Slashed...
$myblk1sm.jpg

Before repair...
$myblk2sm.jpg

After repair...
$myblk3sm.jpg

Obike Stands tall again. :)
$myblk4sm.jpg

Last edited:
That seat will deteriorate rapidly in that condition. Soon someone will be sitting on a pan.

That seat will deteriorate rapidly in that condition. Soon someone will be sitting on a pan.

True..I thought of covering it with a clear plasticbag but then again I leave it to the user..got to have some responsibilty right. Keyword is SHARE..haha.

Date: 11-9-2017
Location: Alexandra canal linear park opp. blk.130 Clarence Lane towards Tanglin rd.
Company: Obike serial no: 065007435

Another slashed bike seat with missing right pedal.I get the suspicion that perpertrator
is from another rival competitor as there are 4 different companies that I know of as I have not seen another brand/company's bike being vandalised.:think:

$alexcanal.jpg

Right pedal missing.
$alexcanal1.jpg

Interesting observation. Serial bike seat slasher. Reminds me of something that used to go on often at a couple places here in Tulsa for many years. There were two stores in this town well known as go to places for martial arts books. At both places, for many years, all books by or about Bruce Lee would get their covers slashed. So eventually it came to be at both places that Bruce was kept behind the counter. Some people are just really screwed up.