Biggest "normal" lens

enewmen

Aug 4, 2010
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Hi All.

I'm looking for a premium lens (fast & long FL).
The first lens I got my eye on is the 300mm F/2.8 - an awesome lens.
But those seem to require a gimbal head and I can't just carry it around my neck - like at the zoo.
So, what will be the biggest lens someone can reasonabily carry around without looking ridiculous or getting attention from authorities ? I am looking for fast and long (I know this means a HUGE lens), so zoom isn't necessary.

ok thanks!

Last edited:
Fast= large aperture. Long+fast = large lens elements.

The laws of physics and basic math will tell you that you cannot have the best of both worlds.

If you are willing to compromise on aperture, a lot is possible. You can get a 70-400mm, or a 500mm f/8 reflex lens, etc.

200 f2.8L with 1.4x or 2x teleconverter

Yeah but then you have image degradation and you lose the f/2.8 as the converter applies to aperture as well (in terms of loss of light).

So a 200mm f/2.8L with a 2x converter is 400mm f/5.6, and will likely have far worse image quality than getting a normal 70-400 with f/5.6 at 400mm.

It seems a 300 f/2.8 is just too big without getting silly.
A teleconverter (like willdoang said) on a shorter lens may be necessary to get the reach.
I hope a 2x won't distort the image too much. I'll also look at a zoom lens like Rashkae said or a 400 f/5.6 fixed.
Just afraid a f/5.6 is too slow for night-safari.

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:
It seems a 300 f/2.8 is just too big without getting silly.
A teleconverter (like willdoang said) on a shorter lens may be necessary to get the reach.
I hope a 2x won't distort the image too much. I'll also look at a zoom lens like Rashkae said or a 400 f/5.6 fixed.
Just afraid a f/5.6 is too slow for night-safari.

Thanks for the replies!

Even a 300mm f/2.8 will give you problems in the night safari.

honestly? don't bring your gear to the night safari. Relax and enjoy. Not worth the hassle.

Even a 300mm f/2.8 will give you problems in the night safari.

honestly? don't bring your gear to the night safari. Relax and enjoy. Not worth the hassle.

Yes, I agree and I should stop thinking to much.,
I have other reasons for a good lens other than night safari. But the way this conversation is going, I may just get a zoom lens for casual use. Later I'll get a huge lens & gimbal for when I really need it (birls, astronomy, etc)

Last edited:
Seriously, these lenses are anything but "normal".

Hi All.

I'm looking for a premium lens (fast & long FL).
The first lens I got my eye on is the 300mm F/2.8 - an awesome lens.
But those seem to require a gimbal head and I can't just carry it around my neck - like at the zoo.
So, what will be the biggest lens someone can reasonabily carry around without looking ridiculous or getting attention from authorities ? I am looking for fast and long (I know this means a HUGE lens), so zoom isn't necessary.

ok thanks!

It's better to refer to them as fast 300mm prime lens.

Biggest lens so you would look intimidating? Oh well.

the focal length of a normal lens is equivalent to the length of diagonal of the respective format, so a the focal length of a normal lens for 35mm film or full frame digital camera is 50mm.

or 210mm on 4*5 LF =P
correction, the focal length of a normal lens for 4x 5 camera is 150mm.
and for a 5X7 camera is 210mm.
and for a 8x10 camera is 300mm.

anyway, not sure what TS intend to shoot in the zoo, whether his is carrying a DSLR with 300mm f2.8 or 8x10 view camera with 300mm lens, surely it is not very normal, will get a lot of attention.

the focal length of a normal lens is equivalent to the length of diagonal of the respective format, so a the focal length of a normal lens for 35mm film or full frame digital camera is 50mm.

correction, the focal length of a normal lens for 4x 5 camera is 150mm.
and for a 5X7 camera is 210mm.
and for a 8x10 camera is 300mm.

anyway, not sure what TS intend to shoot in the zoo, whether his is carrying a DSLR with 300mm f2.8 or 8x10 view camera with 300mm lens, surely it is not very normal, will get a lot of attention.

thanks! im making my own view camera and was wondering what format i should shoot.. whats 200 on 4*5?