Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooseq

Nov 27, 2005
West Singapore
Hi

Not too sure if this is the right place to vent my frustration as well as a cry for help.
Got the service of a fellow CSer to do my wedding photos mid Jan 08.
With the wife, met up with him today to see the photos.
To our horror, was informed by him that "key photos" of the wedding dinner were lost due to problems with his pc.
Simply said, what's left of the dinner photos were the pre-dinner make-up and the photos with the guests. In other words, march-ins/cake cutting/speech/champagne pouring, they were all gone.

Can CSers advise on what I should do pls?

Sorry if this is not the right place to air my views and seek help....
the wife has been crying ever since we got home......:bheart:

probably the wrong section actually, but it's alright i'm sure the mods will move it accordingly when they see it, so no worries

not sure what you mean by what you should do - maybe you might want to ask the guy whether any attempt at recovery was done, and if not, get someone to help you recover, might still be salvageable depending on what those "problems" were.

otherwise, not really sure what else you can do - i know it is painful, but if the guy was telling the truth (if and only if) then i guess it is not really his fault unless he was screwing around with his computer at that time - for such things he should have made some form of backup immediately though.

bad luck i suppose...:what:

I suppose you can take out an action for breach of contract if legal recourse is what you want.

Hi

Not too sure if this is the right place to vent my frustration as well as a cry for help.
Got the service of a fellow CSer to do my wedding photos mid Jan 08.
With the wife, met up with him today to see the photos.
To our horror, was informed by him that "key photos" of the wedding dinner were lost due to problems with his pc.
Simply said, what's left of the dinner photos were the pre-dinner make-up and the photos with the guests. In other words, march-ins/cake cutting/speech/champagne pouring, they were all gone.

Can CSers advise on what I should do pls?

Sorry if this is not the right place to air my views and seek help....
the wife has been crying ever since we got home......:bheart:

ask that photographer to get file recovery software to recover the files. Tried the demo version on my company pc, even though the harddisk was formatted, the software still manage to recover the file which i need but of course need some guess work on the file name and extension though.

PS: forgot to mention the software name....Recover My Files

This is the reason you hire a pro, not an amateur.

Also the reason (in some cases) for a backup photographer.

this sounds more like nvr copy memory card properly. Clarify the situation. If its accidentally erase, stop him from all work using the pc and send in to a data recovery center for recovery if you are willing to fork up the money. I seriously doubt one can lose so many photos due to computer screw up except for harddisk failure or negligence in copying of memory card to computer(or even lost memory card). If such a case happen, i would have sent for data recovery at once!

a little more technical detail of the PC problem would be useful.

i dont think the files are "totally lost" .... like someone said, send the pc or the CF card for recovery service .... think the photographer should be responsible enough to do it for you at his costs ..... :think:

Tell him to do a recovery on his CF card. If anything include the PC. I never mess up on weddings, let alone lose images, if I do accidentally del then there's always the recovery. I've a feeling maybe he didn't do a good job on the champagne, etc part, hence missed the moment? who knows, yeh you should get a pro instead. But nothing can be done for now except hope it's salvageable.

If all fails, pay him 1/4 of the agreed $$.

The photographer should be responsible enough to offer solutions or other form of compensation. This is INDEED the biggest nightmare a bridegroom.

This is the reason you hire a pro, not an amateur.

Also the reason (in some cases) for a backup photographer.

That is not a very good assumption cause such things would also happen to a pro.

I nearly lost all my data when my hard disk crash. Managed to retrieve all data using data recovery software from the net. That is provided u did not write over it. Ask that fellow stop working on his comp. Give us more information on how he lost the photos and that shd help.

Do bear in mind that sometimes people say PC crash, when in fact they screwed up the shot. You can tell if he is unwilling to let you do data recovery on his PC :)

The Biggest Q...how much did u paid for his service?

Try using dennisc suggestion. Ask him use recovery software and recover the files from the

memory cards and hope he didnt use the same memory card to shoot other weddings and

overwrite the files in it.

If cannot, as suggested by others, use recovery software on the PC to recover the lost files in the PC.

No freeware recovery ? Dun fret.

Go JB buy the economical version of the software. :thumbsup:

Even recycle bin emptied liao still can recover ones.
icon11.gif

Sorry to hear about this, others csers have already suggested all the possible solutions.

anyway, I don't know who the photographer is...did he ever try to salvage the images before meet you up??

photographers are being hired to solve problems, not to create any, if have any issues like this, he/she should notify the clients/customers asap, and let them know he/she is working on it to rectify the problems.

if now then come and tell you this, shows that how "sincere" he treat his customers and "efficient" of his work.

Shooting weddings is not for play play, passion, helping a friend, earn some pocket money or whatever, it demands hell lots of responsibility.

Seem like I'm rubbing salt now, but just want to let many others know if you are not ready, don't shoot wedding, there is no reshoot for weddings.

Hi ... really sorry to hear that ... :(

Don't wanna to duplicate what the rest are saying ... @ the meantime may I suggest (I know it's easy for me to say this) to create some space for you guys to take some time-off, do something fun or meangingful to sooth the disappointment ... there's a possibility that you may not recover the images ...

Sorry I'm not good with words ...

Status
Not open for further replies.