Bishan
skyline-impreza.deviantart.com
Picture 1
Picture_1.jpg

Picture 2
Picture_2.jpg

Picture 3
Picture_3.jpg

The road may have gone, the route may have change. But Big Walk 2004 is still on!!! R u on?

I'm on.

Would like to make a list of who and who is going... :D

Me first ->
1) skyline_impreza

Any idea how can i go?..erm its past the closing date for ticket purchasing..is there any other way i can go to this event? :)

Normally they will give one more day for late comers to register.
Wonder if they will do it this time

Anyway, if you really wanna join the big walk, you can walk without the no. tag. :bsmilie:

skyline_impreza said:
Normally they will give one more day for late comers to register.
Wonder if they will do it this time

Anyway, if you really wanna join the big walk, you can walk without the no. tag. :bsmilie:

really can walk without number tag?..they wont chase u off or anything?..wana just walk along with my friend

SpitFir3 said:
really can walk without number tag?..they wont chase u off or anything?..wana just walk along with my friend

With so many people around, I don't think they will even notice you.
If you still got doubt, get a paper, draw some numbers on it. And wear it on the day. :bsmilie:

if u register u just get the goodie bag n the t-shirt. there's no need to register, really, and there's definitely lots of stuff to photograph.

1) skyline_impreza
2) SpitFir3 (going)
3) larren chen
4) wingless84 (walking like the wind)

1) skyline_impreza
2) SpitFir3 (going)
3) larren chen
4) wingless84 (walking like the wind)
5) engineermunn (jalan-jalan only, right?)

I just saw the new route.....

Correct me if I'm wrong: The new route is within the Circle Line and KPE tunneling projects. Wasn't there some cracks discovered at the cricket oval (near the route)?

Would the ground be safe to withstand a massive continuous human load?

I wonder if LTA has actually looked into the new route and if they've done "checks" on ground stability?

Let's see: assume 75,000 walkers, each having an average mass of 65kg, and over a period of 3 hours.

That's like 75k * 65 = approx 5 million kilograms or 5000 tonnes! pounding on the ground!

I will like to clarify something here.

I only want to know how many clubsnappers are going to the big walk. There is no intention to form a "Clubsnap Big Walk outing" or any meeting upz.

Apparently, my blur friend (also a clubsnapper) felt that im organizing an outing.

Therefore, again, there is no meeting or mass-registration. :)

engineermunn said:
I just saw the new route.....

Correct me if I'm wrong: The new route is within the Circle Line and KPE tunneling projects. Wasn't there some cracks discovered at the cricket oval (near the route)?

Would the ground be safe to withstand a massive continuous human load?

I wonder if LTA has actually looked into the new route and if they've done "checks" on ground stability?

Let's see: assume 75,000 walkers, each having an average mass of 65kg, and over a period of 3 hours.

That's like 75k * 65 = approx 5 million kilograms or 5000 tonnes! pounding on the ground!

I think LTA did a major check on the new route already. The cracks may not be as serious as they seems. Imagine this, even buildings, which appear cracks, can be declared safe.

So don't worry too much, and enjoy the BIG walk :bsmilie:

skyline_impreza said:
I think LTA did a major check on the new route already. The cracks may not be as serious as they seems. Imagine this, even buildings, which appear cracks, can be declared safe.

So don't worry too much, and enjoy the BIG walk :bsmilie:

Hmmmm.... it leads me to worry though....

The cracks on the buildings are ultimately supported on point loads even though it's distributed across the floor area, and the cracks are mainly caused by the small settling of the soil beneath or surrounding it.

However, what's under the road is different. FIrstly, the ground has not fully settled yet (after recent tunneling). Secondly, we're talking about a sudden increase in dynamic loads and not a dead (static) load that is normally attributed to buildings. While a safety factor is usually employed on structural infrastructure such as bridges, I don't think the safety factor in excess of 5000 tonnes in a relatively short period of time has been taken into consideration. It's like a shock treatment to the unsettled soil conditions in slow motion, and not like putting thousands of bricks on the ground and slowly (over few years) let it settle. :think:

engineermunn said:

The cracks on the buildings are ultimately supported on point loads even though it's distributed across the floor area, and the cracks are mainly caused by the small settling of the soil beneath or surrounding it.

However, what's under the road is different. FIrstly, the ground has not fully settled yet (after recent tunneling). Secondly, we're talking about a sudden increase in dynamic loads and not a dead (static) load that is normally attributed to buildings. While a safety factor is usually employed on structural infrastructure such as bridges, I don't think the safety factor in excess of 5000 tonnes in a relatively short period of time has been taken into consideration. It's like a shock treatment to the unsettled soil conditions in slow motion, and not like putting thousands of bricks on the ground and slowly (over few years) let it settle. :think:

:think: seems like you really make a lot of thinking over this matter.
Maybe you can write a letter to LTA. No joke, to me you sound serious enough. :)

any 1 know what road will be closed... will be driving there but dunno which road they close...

pls advice... thanks

engineermunn said:

Well, now at least the road didnt fall apart. :)

wingless84 said:
my photos from the Big Walk 2004 :D
here!

(warning: big image files because i used .png to retain the saturated colours)

what a wonderful day for photography the light was great! :D

Hilo... well saw your pics... i like the last pic veri much... the kid with a headless shadow... nice man... thought u took that pic because of the shadow n the kid... read your comment then know that you also didn know about it (headless shadow...) :thumbsup: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.