BIG dilemma: Nikon D100 or F5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Apr 25, 2002
singapore
www.larryloh.com
hi y'all, got a bit of dilemma now and was hoping for the opinion/input of any Nikonians here, or in fact just anyone.

i went for the D100 launch this morning and i must say that i'm very impressed with the new DSLR. while initially i thought it was quite plasticky, when used with the battery pack, the feel was quite solid and well... shiok. :D

now here's my dilemma - it hit me a few days ago that for the price of the D100, i can get a F5 as well, and in fact the F5 will be a bit cheaper overall, considering the price and additional digital accessories i'll have to get.

lemme describe my current setup and what i use it for. i'm using a F90x with MB10 & a couple of primes (24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 180mm f/2.8 and a old Tamron 28-200mm for travelling. accessories include speedlite SB28 (non-DX), SD8 flash battery pack, a few 25mm extension tubes and the usual array of filters. i do a fair amount of part-time commercial work like event photog (for local mags), indoor decor shoots and the occasional wedding shoot. most of the time, the clients prefer neg films or slides, and are still leery of digital files (despite the potential cost savings).

now, i very "gian" the D100 cos i wanna do more personal photog and well, it's digital. also, with the D100 i'll probably have to invest in a super wide lens like a nikkor 14mm or a sigma 15-30mm zoom. but then on the other hand, a F5 is also very appealing cos, well... it's a F5 (what else can i say). it's probably more beneficial to my commercial work as well, and i can sell my F90x, which i'll have to keep if i decide to get the D100 (one film, one DSLR).

i know this will probably open up a lot of debates about film vs. digital, digital image quality,etc, but well it's a tough decision for me and i'll really appreciate any comments/inputs/opinions or questions... just trying to sort out the pros and cons of both options.

thanks everyone!!! :D

Originally posted by firefox13
hi y'all, got a bit of dilemma now and was hoping for the opinion/input of any Nikonians here, or in fact just anyone.

i went for the D100 launch this morning and i must say that i'm very impressed with the new DSLR. while initially i thought it was quite plasticky, when used with the battery pack, the feel was quite solid and well... shiok. :D

now here's my dilemma - it hit me a few days ago that for the price of the D100, i can get a F5 as well, and in fact the F5 will be a bit cheaper overall, considering the price and additional digital accessories i'll have to get.

lemme describe my current setup and what i use it for. i'm using a F90x with MB10 & a couple of primes (24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 180mm f/2.8 and a old Tamron 28-200mm for travelling. accessories include speedlite SB28 (non-DX), SD8 flash battery pack, a few 25mm extension tubes and the usual array of filters. i do a fair amount of part-time commercial work like event photog (for local mags), indoor decor shoots and the occasional wedding shoot. most of the time, the clients prefer neg films or slides, and are still leery of digital files (despite the potential cost savings).

now, i very "gian" the D100 cos i wanna do more personal photog and well, it's digital. also, with the D100 i'll probably have to invest in a super wide lens like a nikkor 14mm or a sigma 15-30mm zoom. but then on the other hand, a F5 is also very appealing cos, well... it's a F5 (what else can i say). it's probably more beneficial to my commercial work as well, and i can sell my F90x, which i'll have to keep if i decide to get the D100 (one film, one DSLR).

i know this will probably open up a lot of debates about film vs. digital, digital image quality,etc, but well it's a tough decision for me and i'll really appreciate any comments/inputs/opinions or questions... just trying to sort out the pros and cons of both options.

thanks everyone!!! :D

If you shoot a hell lot of photos, get the D100. Otherwise, even a F100 + MB15 will do very nicely indeed.

Hey, you mean the launch is open to public?

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
If you shoot a hell lot of photos, get the D100. Otherwise, even a F100 + MB15 will do very nicely indeed.

Hey, you mean the launch is open to public?

Regards
CK
no it's not really a public event, but it was open to dealers, partners and media folks... i tagged along with a media friend. :D

i did consider a F100 but my main dilemma is with the D100. at that price, i can get a F5, you know what i mean?

we all know what "The Fifth" is capable of given the age it has matured into ever since it was launched back in 1996....(if memory serves me rite).
On the other hand, the D100 is just another era in photography. If I were you, I'd go for the F5 if you still have an inkling of a likeing to shoot fims. You won't be wrong with that choice. But then again...who won't be tempted with the new D100?

Originally posted by Gabriel
we all know what "The Fifth" is capable of given the age it has matured into ever since it was launched back in 1996....(if memory serves me rite).
On the other hand, the D100 is just another era in photography. If I were you, I'd go for the F5 if you still have an inkling of a likeing to shoot fims. You won't be wrong with that choice. But then again...who won't be tempted with the new D100?
yah, so now u know my dilemma - new exciting digital cam vs. proven flagship product. sigh. very torn. the price is also almost in the same range...

no it's not really a public event, but it was open to dealers, partners and media folks... i tagged along with a media friend. :D

i did consider a F100 but my main dilemma is with the D100. at that price, i can get a F5, you know what i mean?

Yeah, I know. But then, the F5 is kinda dated already. If you can actually consider a F80-based D100, then the F100 + MB15 isn't so bad. But if you shoot a lot now, or forsee shooting a lot, you can probably consider the D100 over the F100/5.

For me, I already have a F100, so if given that kind of money, I'd go for the D100.

Regards
CK

hmmm ok so you think it boils down to a matter of the quantity of shots i'll be taking? thing is, if i do get a F100/5, the number of shots should also increase to 'justify' the extra costs on getting a bigger/better camera...

so when are they going to sell it ? and how much ah ?

can you name some of the problems you have with your f90x ? if you can, then does the f5 answer those problems ?

I guess the question here is personal VS your freelance work. Which one is more important ? I guess the f90x can do everything the f5 can, hence the d100, would make a more "complete" equation.

What does an F5 do that you need it to do that cannot already be done by your F90x? Surely it's quite easy to compare the F5 and D100 and place a value on what each will do for you since they both do completely different things. Unless you're just buying to upgrade and increase the arsenal at your disposal, in which case, only you can decide.

ckiang...if only we are all given that kind of money... :(

Originally posted by rueyloon
so when are they going to sell it ? and how much ah?
it's gonna be available sometime in July, and recommended retail price of SGD$3888. so chances are it'll be cheaper @ CP or AP...
Originally posted by Jed
What does an F5 do that you need it to do that cannot already be done by your F90x? Surely it's quite easy to compare the F5 and D100 and place a value on what each will do for you since they both do completely different things. Unless you're just buying to upgrade and increase the arsenal at your disposal, in which case, only you can decide.
you raise a good point Jed & rueyloon, my F90x can probably do most of what a F5 can do, short of 8 shots per second, a better colour matrix system and look really cool, hahaha (ok ignore the last one pls). taken in that light, the D100 would round up the complete package of film and digital...

I agree will Jed's comment ;)

If I'm in your position, I'll get the D100 & keep F90X as backup :cool:

it's gonna be available sometime in July, and recommended retail price of SGD$3888. so chances are it'll be cheaper @ CP or AP...
you raise a good point Jed & rueyloon, my F90x can probably do most of what a F5 can do, short of 8 shots per second, a better colour matrix system and look really cool, hahaha (ok ignore the last one pls). taken in that light, the D100 would round up the complete package of film and digital...

Right. So, get the D100 for your digital needs, and keep your F90X for your film needs. The 90x is still a very capable camera. :)

Regards
CK

Right. So, get the D100 for your digital needs, and keep your F90X for your film needs. The 90x is still a very capable camera. :)

Regards
CK
that's my first decision... you guys just re-affirmed my thoughts actually... but still you have to agree that the F5 is a handsome machine to have.... ;)

that's my first decision... you guys just re-affirmed my thoughts actually... but still you have to agree that the F5 is a handsome machine to have.... ;)

Agree. But for me, I'd prefer something like a F100 with removeable battery pack. Can instantly make it lighter by removing it. :)

I suppose you made your decision now? :)

Regards
CK

Agree. But for me, I'd prefer something like a F100 with removeable battery pack. Can instantly make it lighter by removing it. :)

I suppose you made your decision now? :)

Regards
CK
well, not totally... i still have to consider how much more useful the f5 will be to my 'paid' work versus using digital D100 for more personal stuff. but generally i'm more inclined to the D100... i think clients will soon come around to the idea of using digital instead of negs/slides.

i was also thinking of getting the D100 first, then after i pay that off, the next item is to upgrade my F90x to F100 or better, depending on how long i'll be in debt from the D100 :D

The sensible choice is to get the D100 and keep the F90x for your current work.

Then later, get a 2nd hand F5 if you still want to have the camera that was "Imported from the Future" (Nikon's tagline, not mine)

What kind of work do you do?

well, not totally... i still have to consider how much more useful the f5 will be to my 'paid' work versus using digital D100 for more personal stuff. but generally i'm more inclined to the D100... i think clients will soon come around to the idea of using digital instead of negs/slides.

i was also thinking of getting the D100 first, then after i pay that off, the next item is to upgrade my F90x to F100 or better, depending on how long i'll be in debt from the D100 :D

For now, I think the F90X should serve most situations (paid or otherwise) pretty well. So just get a D100 to complement it. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Jed
What kind of work do you do?
mostly event photog (for local mags), some indoor decor/product shoots (simple setup one, not the elaborate studio lighting type) and the occasional wedding shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.