Bicycles in the act

Jj Sinoobpy

Sep 3, 2011
Singapore
Hi all,

I have just taken a photo in the night near Boat Quay.
Pls kindly issue your comments and help out:

photo-1-1.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, exposure control & colour accuracy.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
An attempt to focus and take close up photos.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Shot was done in the night.
Using Canon 50mm f1.8
ISO 100, f1.8, Shutter at 1/20 - 1/40 (can't recall), AF

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like the effect of the two bicycles in line and i just focus on the first and make the second blur.
Apparrantly this was taken in the night and i kinda shivered a little thus the photo seems a little shaky.

Pls kindly comment and let me improve. I am prepared :)

Friend, it's night time isn't it. Bring a tripod out next time, or just keep your camera, go home, take a rest and come back the next night with your tripod.
Just a gesture, but I see a lot of times a lot of people bring out their lovely DSLR without a tripod at night ? What for ? Okay fine, take a few pic of your friends with the lovely activities, good enough. Take a scenery ? Keep it.

No offense, it's the critic section, so I just shoot straight to the point. Perhaps we both have different values, in mine, I see no composition. It's so blur, with whatever reason you give, it's worse than a P&S. If you are the middle of a war, I say good. Blur is fine, ISO 6400 is fine. You have such good situation, with no moving items in the picture and you still produce such quality ? I guess you have to work harder, ok ?

If I may comment at all about the composition (since I said none earlier), it's a very tight framing. Loosen up the framing. Spaces at the edges relax the eyes and allow focusing on subjects. One of the CS fellas wrote very good tips for your consideration found at http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/973856-Photography-Tips-write-up?p=7469035
Do spend some time reading it. You will find your required composition technique in there. Then after that, consider stop down your aperture for sharper background because you mentioned ur intention is the 2 bicycles that line up that interest u. of course I know you can't do that because u have no tripod! So you now knows why you need a tripod right ? A wide angle zoom will be more suitable for this job, not your canon 50mm f/1.8, I assume you are on APS-C sensor ? That's like 75mm I think based on 1.5 crop factor, I forgotten canon is how much, but it's around there, FOV too small.

You should have used higher ISO and then higher shutter speed. Always review your photos for sharpness.
I think you already got the tips you want for composition above.

Thanks guy. I will keep a look out and bring a tripod next time.

sorry this photo don't work for me as well.

1. focusing off (probably due to camera handshake)
2. composing the photo needs a lot of work to do (try read up rule of thirds for composing photo)

Title not suitable
White balance
Focus
Composition

Half cents worth.
Your objective of blurring the bike behind and focusing on bike in front is not working. Entire picture is blur.
ISO so low?
The lamp post, angles of the railings seem to make the photo cluttered.
Although I am newbie and layman, the composition is not working for me.
Thanks for sharing....keep practising. :)