Bicycles in barcelona

newbsnapper

Sep 28, 2011
Picture_262.jpg

1) in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and exposure

2) what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I wanted to capture the uniformity of the bicycles contrasted with the different seatpost heights representing the unique persons riding them.

3) under what circumstances is the picture take? (physical conditions/emotions)
Touring in Barcelona on a sunny day but this photo was taken in a shaded alley.

4) what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
It appeals to me somehow but I can't quite pinpoint why. I'm a brand new beginner using an old canon 400d and a cheap 50mm f1.8 prime which was the only lens I carried with me at the time. Sorry I can't remember the settings I used for this shot.

Do advise on how I can improve please

Sharp lines and coloured contrast are always fine elements in photographs.

Explore all your angles. it seems you have your objective set but we can't immediately tell that the seats are the focus. And with that, the attention goes to the red bodywork but it's not a strong composition either so..... it's not really complete both ways. You may or may not have gotten a better composition in front or behind the row of bicycles since I think the headlamps look kinda cute too.

However, I think a bigger issue with beginners is they tend to over think their compositions. You don't need to have a specific objective to accomplish with every "serious" composition. Don't stress it you know, have fun, simply tell yourself, "neat row of bicycles, I want to photograph it". Then whichever quirk be it the height of handle bars or seats will be shown because you have managed to capture the subject well. Don't fall into the habit of tunnel vision and always challenge yourself to explore options.

With only the 50mm, I think trying to photograph this subject as a series of abstracts would work better than a singular composition.

Since your focus is on the sit, ever tried just frame from the row of seats on the top left corner all the way down parts of the bicycles in landscape view and with a few seats in sharp focus to showcase the different in height. Maybe will look better? Hope this help.. just a thought.. :)

Appreciate for all the comments ! Any comments on colour, focus or exposure ? I personally feel that the out of focus bicycle in the foreground makes the photo a little more interesting, but not necessarily in a good way as I get a little dizzy and disoriented at it.. but yet the other shot i took with all bicycles in focus was pretty boring.

I actually thought the photo is nice. A friend of mine showed me how it can be cropped.
This cropping made see depth in the way the bicycles were placed.
Is this what you mean?

Picture_262_Crop.jpg
seems a little too tight for me.

Composition wise, you should try exploring rule of third. The picture is nice, but lacking a strong focus of the subject matter IMO. exposure is fine! Also, that green trash can is annoying! Haha