Bicycle?? Where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A simple bike under $100 can be had at the bigger hypermart chains.
You can also go to a distributor and get a Raleigh cheap:
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=51727.msg390253#msg390253

Hiap Guan Metal Industries (Pte) Ltd
Blk 4 , Tagore Lane
Singapore 787469 (65) 64564584 (65) 64596576

But I would not suggest too small a frame and your leg should be slightly flexed when it is on the pedal, otherwise cycling for long distances will be uncomfortable.

Cheers

ooooooooooh Raleigh is good tooooo.... :3
saving up money now for either a Raleigh, Giant or Scott.... :3

So for me, $98 bike is enough? I only ride for like travelling around sg to take pictures. But will a suspension bike be better? is it worth $160?

C2C at AMK and Hup Leong at Chin Swee.

Owns 2 GT bikes, love the built quality of them. :thumbsup:

But since you just intend to get a leisure bike, Carrefour at Suntec alot for you to choose from.

is carrefour really that cheap? is it even cheaper than those neighbourhood bike shop?

So for me, $98 bike is enough? I only ride for like travelling around sg to take pictures. But will a suspension bike be better? is it worth $160?

What camera you intend to carry along with you to take photos? A PnS or a DSLR with a few lens? A cheap bike is already pretty heavy...now upgrading to a full suspension bike that is also another cheap one...it will be alot more heavy.

Now if you get the full suspension bike and you load up on your camera bag with a camera and say two lens and some other gear...you are lugging around a pretty heavy load that will translate into hampering your ride. It will not be a problem over time as you need to improve your fitness and riding long distance to really take full advantage of the bike you bought.

Now if you treat it as keeping fit while you get to take some photo when you ride with your gears once in a while that would be fine. Now to help you get better roll and thus not tax your legs too much, ensure you get a bike with tires at that are more slicks then those typical moutain bike ones with the chunky knobs. Those are great for riding off road but on hard flat ground those knobs will act as rolling resistance that will make you pedal harder. Wait till you have your first taste of a sprain back or waist heheh..not forgetting those super hard and aching legs heheheh.... WIth some training over a few months that will pass lah...if you ride regularly.

Cheap full suspension bike are also not very efficient bikes and you tend to bop alot more which again translate into lost of pedalling power and you tired easier. This is becasue they use really cheap suspension system and no matter how you try to "dial" in the setting....it along with the possible location of the suspension spring will not help much in the way of retaining as much pedalling power you pump on the pedal to move forward. As you bop up and down, you just tired more it makes riding long distance not so fun for some. But yes overall a full suspension one will be more comfy to ride then a hard tail ( A bike with only a front suspension) as bumps would be cushion by the suspension although in my view...cushion it badly hehehe but then I am a serious biker.

So...something to think about between getting a hard tail or a full suspension bike. No use getting a bike that is more pricey if you are new to this and you only just thought about it like an impulsive buy...so if you hate to clean up the bike.....no use spending too much money on it. If all you ride are on roads mainly, those cheap bikes should last you a long time before you see structure problems with it. Rust will be your worst enemy as cheap bikes are usually made of iron or lousy steels and the pain job is just not good enough protect it against the element.

Last edited:

If only cycling on the road, get a non-suspension bike. All the suspension will only add needless weight to your bike and makes your pedalling inefficient. Your local bike shop or those hypermart bike would be a cheap option to get you started on your cycling. Then see how serious you want to take your cycling, and by then you should have a clearer idea on the type of bicycle you'll need. At least if you lost interest in cycling, the damage to your pocket is minimum.

If not sure why not just buy a cheap bike at Giant or Carrefour. When you find them inadequate can always upgrade.

I bought a sub $100 bike from a neighbourhood shop, not the greatest but have put it through over 100km in the first week. Not a lot of distance actually since hard core cyclist might train for 100km in a day.

The main problem for me was not really the bike but getting used to cycling the distances.

Get a 26-inch and adjust the saddle to your comfort. My gf rode a 27-inch with the seat at the lowest, and she's shorter than you.

If not sure why not just buy a cheap bike at Giant or Carrefour. When you find them inadequate can always upgrade.

I bought a sub $100 bike from a neighbourhood shop, not the greatest but have put it through over 100km in the first week. Not a lot of distance actually since hard core cyclist might train for 100km in a day.

The main problem for me was not really the bike but getting used to cycling the distances.

Get a 26-inch and adjust the saddle to your comfort. My gf rode a 27-inch with the seat at the lowest, and she's shorter than you.

did her feet touch the ground? Cause i like those can touch ground. A sense of security when you know you can touch ground anytime you want. you get what i mean?

did her feet touch the ground? Cause i like those can touch ground. A sense of security when you know you can touch ground anytime you want. you get what i mean?

All bicycles have adjustable seats post and come in a few sizes. Now less you are a 7 footer or taller, I can't see how you will not be able to find a bicycle that will not fit you. You have enough information here to make a trip down to go take a look. You can get all your answers there. The best prices are already stated here... you can't hope to get any lower.

By the way....if you cycle with your feet too close to the ground...that means you are cycling with the seat too low and that can add alot of stress to your knees and it also means your legs are not extended when the pedal is all the way at the lowest point of your cycling motion. That will mean alot of the weight of your butt will be on the saddle. This will mean an aching butt and numb private parts if you ride long distance without stopping or have your seat not properly adjusted.

All bicycles have adjustable seats post and come in a few sizes. Now less you are a 7 footer or taller, I can't see how you will not be able to find a bicycle that will not fit you. You have enough information here to make a trip down to go take a look. You can get all your answers there. The best prices are already stated here... you can't hope to get any lower.

By the way....if you cycle with your feet too close to the ground...that means you are cycling with the seat too low and that can add alot of stress to your knees and it also means your legs are not extended when the pedal is all the way at the lowest point of your cycling motion. That will mean alot of the weight of your butt will be on the saddle. This will mean an aching butt and numb private parts if you ride long distance without stopping or have your seat not properly adjusted.

alright cool! Thanks for the advice! I will go down to the bike shop next week to test and buy! Thanks! But a suspension bike is worth $160? no one answered my question. Or just get the $98 bike can already?

is carrefour really that cheap? is it even cheaper than those neighbourhood bike shop?

I think bikes at carrefour are cheaper than neighbourhood shops in general, because carrefour has promotion on the bikes almost year round. Their standard promo is $89.90 or sometimes $79.90 (if you lucky). I got mine at $68.80 during the Christmas promo... it's a very special promo, not the usual one, and only for Christmas season.

The bikes were selling out very fast. I happened to pass by and saw the promo and since I needed a bike and this was so cheap, I decided to get it on the spot. When I was there, another one got grabbed and after I grabbed one too, so only left one. It would most likely be sold if I had waited till the next day to get it.

If you want to get a cheap bike, I suggest you check out Carrefour first.

alright cool! Thanks for the advice! I will go down to the bike shop next week to test and buy! Thanks! But a suspension bike is worth $160? no one answered my question. Or just get the $98 bike can already?

I have read a few answers to your this qn already. A few pple have stated that if you were to get a cheap bike, it's better to go with one w/o suspension as the suspension adds weight to the bike and cheap bikes are already heavy. Heavy bikes means more energy required to move it... just like if you were to pull a heavy cart. The lighter the bike, the better and also more expensive in general. I got a cheap bike w/o suspension for this reason of weight. So if u are getting a cheap bike, save that additional money and get one w/o suspension. The suspension on cheap bikes are lousy anyway... you get what you pay for.

I have read a few answers to your this qn already. A few pple have stated that if you were to get a cheap bike, it's better to go with one w/o suspension as the suspension adds weight to the bike and cheap bikes are already heavy. Heavy bikes means more energy required to move it... just like if you were to pull a heavy cart. The lighter the bike, the better and also more expensive in general. I got a cheap bike w/o suspension for this reason of weight. So if u are getting a cheap bike, save that additional money and get one w/o suspension. The suspension on cheap bikes are lousy anyway... you get what you pay for.

Alright, thanks! So a $98 bike will be good. Alright, can can. How about those chain locks? How much do you think it will cost for a good one?

Alright, thanks! So a $98 bike will be good. Alright, can can. How about those chain locks? How much do you think it will cost for a good one?

Good ones dun come cheap...

Cheap ones dun come good...

I lost my old bike even with a thick cable lock. So no point trusting the normal locks. Just keep them visible.

Good ones dun come cheap...

Cheap ones dun come good...

I lost my old bike even with a thick cable lock. So no point trusting the normal locks. Just keep them visible.

But a thick lock should be good right? How much do you think it will cost normally for a thick lock?

But a thick lock should be good right? How much do you think it will cost normally for a thick lock?

I'll suggest going out to check and do your research with the bike retailers. There's only so much you can find out from us online.

Mine was almost 3/4 of an inch thick and yet it was cut smoothly in 1 go... I saw the lock left at the scene.. haiz.

I believe it was done with one of those big bolt cutters. :sweat:

It u're getting a cheap bike, is it worth to get a very expensive good lock?
Cheap bikes are not high targets anyway... as long as you have a lock on it, it is enough to deter thieves... unless you really damn suay. But bike thieves do know about bikes and how to tell if a bike is good and expensive and worth their effort. They are unlikely to want to spend the effort to cut a lock to get a less than $100 bike... plus the risk involved in stealing anything, don't need to be a genius to see that it's not worth it. So just get any cheap lock will be good enough. Thick locks are heavy so I don't recommend getting the thickest lock you can find. The cheapest locks are found in hardware shops... sometimes those cheap barang barang shops also have. Around $5-7 can get you a lock already.

Status
Not open for further replies.