Bicycle Maintainence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja23XX

Jan 24, 2009
In The Shadows
Hi guys, i just bought a new bicycle yesterday. Received it just now. I was wondering what you guys use to make sure your bike doesn't get rusty or so. Any advice.

GMAN

dismantle put in dry cabi.

dismantle put in dry cabi.

OMG :bsmilie:!

Ninja boy, I mainly grease my bicycle on parts which gets rusty easily like chains and gears. If your gears are hardened alloy which is corrosion resistant, then light greasing will do for prevention.

same as camera: use it regularly.

Occasionally light grease with singer oil. If possible get proper chain lube from brand like White Lightning or Finish Line. Try not to expose the bike to rain or water, if it does, wipe dry and lube.

Hi,

With your climate there ....(hot), I don't see any problem.

Just use it a lot (will do you a lot of good and the bike also :thumbsup:).

Maybe get a can of CRC and spray the chain once a month lightly.

Cheers :)

OMG :bsmilie:!

Ninja boy, I mainly grease my bicycle on parts which gets rusty easily like chains and gears. If your gears are hardened alloy which is corrosion resistant, then light greasing will do for prevention.
Yeap, just checked, my bike uses Hardened Alloy gears. I bought the Haro Flightline 2DX. Beautiful bike. Haha. I'm more worried on the gears, because they tend to rust easily. Is WD-40 a good choice?

GMAN

Hi,

With your climate there ....(hot), I don't see any problem.

Just use it a lot (will do you a lot of good and the bike also :thumbsup:).

Maybe get a can of CRC and spray the chain once a month lightly.

Cheers :)
Yupp, thanks for the advice. I'll get some bike grease for maintainence.

GMAN

Yeap, just checked, my bike uses Hardened Alloy gears. I bought the Haro Flightline 2DX. Beautiful bike. Haha. I'm more worried on the gears, because they tend to rust easily. Is WD-40 a good choice?

GMAN
no, never use WD40 unless you wanna loosen seized or rusted parts.
just get a tube of bike grease for the deraillers, BB and headset.
and a bottle of chainlube for the chain.

and if you're using disc brakes, never ever get grease or oil onto the rotor or brake pads. if you do, use alcohol to clean them.

no, never use WD40 unless you wanna loosen seized or rusted parts.
just get a tube of bike grease for the deraillers, BB and headset.
and a bottle of chainlube for the chain.

and if you're using disc brakes, never ever get grease or oil onto the rotor or brake pads. if you do, use alcohol to clean them.
Wow, thanks for the advice. The nuts and bolts are a better design compared to those of my old bike. Yeap, my bike uses disc brakes. Thanks for the great help. I will go get those 2 items. Thanks!.

GMAN

WD-40 doesn't stay on the chain and it will drip creating a mess at home. Check out the finish line dry or wet lubes and really feel the difference shifting gears . When you have ridden the bike lets say a month. Get your wheel set tighten as your body weight will cause the new wheel set to adjust itself. That includes adjusting clearance of your disc brake pads. By doing all this , you will create less drag and a smoother ride. Dont be alarm by noises coming from the brake pads as they are new . Effective controlled braking only comes in when you run them for a month or so. OOps got carried away there, i use finish line and they really stick to your chain .

Have a safe ride my friend.

LOL. Never heard of those gods. Haha.

GMAN

once you start riding, the Gods will be with you. until you use WD-40. then you're f***ed. no amount of appeasing will appease them.

seriously.

May I know what is so bad about WD-40? TIA for replies. :)

apparently WD-40 disintegrates metal compounds by "eating" away at them. that's how they remove rust. I say apparently because everybody whom I know that does not advocate WD-40 says that.

Status
Not open for further replies.