Bibble for RAW Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

r52lanc

Feb 12, 2004
Bukit Timah
www.pbase.com
I have been shooting more photos in RAW format because of the inherent ability to recover overexposed highlights. However, as a Canon 20D shooter, I currently have the following choices...

Canon FileViewerUtility (primitive, simplistic)
Canon Digital Photo Professional (jaggies, weird skintones)
Adode Camera Raw (small window, simplistic)

Also, none of the these utilities let you see what parts of the photo are overexposed. You have to 'guess' when adjusting 'brightness' (what is that anyway?). Then, convert the photo to a jpeg/tiff and check for overexposure using Adobe Photoshop's levels tool. Then, go back and try again if you didn't hit it right on. :thumbsd:

Today, I tried Bibble Lite and wow...problems solved! Bibble's got all the tools you need plus it will flag the overexposed areas with splotchs of color and let you fix the exposure on-the-fly! Too cool! :cool:

Here's an image from last Saturday's model shoot with Elda. The jpeg would have been overexposed. With the RAW file, the overexposure is easily fixed in Bibble in one step along with a few additional tweaks for final image quality!

I only have the trial version so far. The software seems well worth the purchase price.:think: A bit more testing first!

Here is the image as shot.
37195301.jpg
Here is the image with recovered exposure.
37218306.jpg

Great review... I have just d/l

next step, shoot in RAW.... Lets hoped that it isn't as troublesome as what I was lead to believe...

Lensman said:
Great review... I have just d/l

next step, shoot in RAW.... Lets hoped that it isn't as troublesome as what I was lead to believe...
Thanks for the kind words...Lensman. Please note that I have added...'Must tick this box' to the panel.

Snowcrash said:
when trial expire... can try capture one LE....

Capture One LE

Then then compare and post your findings here?

So far I don't shoot much RAW...
Hello Snowcrash....I wanted to try that but so far no Canon 20D support for Windows. Dunno when they will release the upgrade. :dunno:

Snowcrash said:
when trial expire... can try capture one LE....

Capture One LE

Then then compare and post your findings here?

So far I don't shoot much RAW...
I received an email today from Eric Hyman (owner of Bibble Labs). Believe it or not, he saw my posts about Bibble here and on pbase. He says Bibble will do a much better job recovering highlights than C1. Look here.

Hehe! I second that! Bibble lite is so intuitive to use and the realtime feedback on the overexposed portion is very useful indeed! Its really an amazing tool. Loads fast and previews real fast.
:)

Its my defacto RAW tool now....

i must say i really like this application, it make my life so much easier for editing raw images, especially the copy and paste settings function, tat's really cool! the noise removal function also works much better than neatimage to me.

keke, maybe the author can give us offer for buying that? :p

wah this program even better than Nikon Capture? hmm

r52lanc said:
Hello Snowcrash....I wanted to try that but so far no Canon 20D support for Windows. Dunno when they will release the upgrade. :dunno:
20th Dec..

hwchoy said:
perhaps he'd offer an MO price for us? :think:
I would like to see Bibble v4.1 succeed, but it still has minor glitches with 20D files (like corrupting the EXIF info*). They have known about it for a while and it's not fixed yet. Also, I want to make sure that I’ve given up on CaptureOne....so must wait until Dec. 20th release of C1 20D support.

If I decide on Bibble, I will go for the Pro version. So, let's wait 'til early January for a MO for Bibble.

*for example, a shutter speed of 1/500 sec is getting ported into the jpeg or tiff as 1/503 sec. :eek:

I had tested BibblePro 4.1, C1Pro 3.6 (mac version) and DPP against a variety of properly exposed 20D raw files. C1 wins in getting out details especially in the shadows areas and skin tones looks very good. Waiting for the etcetera profile (www.etcetera.cc) for the 20D to be used with C1. The profile is expected to do a much better job if the equivalent profile from my last camera (300D) with C1 is anything to compare by.

That said, Bibble is priced attractively but I never got used to its user interface. C1 and DPP seems more intuitive !

thanks for sharing, r52lanc.... :)

what about raw shooters essential 2005, anyone try that against bibble?

any updates?

Hey... Bibble 4.3 has just been released... thanks to a change detection robot that just emailed me...

It supports the D70s and has a straightening tool now!

Hmm... downloaded and installed... but still can't read my D70s files...

willyfoo said:
Hmm... downloaded and installed... but still can't read my D70s files...

willy - i believe its becos the encrypted WB in d70s. my trial version of C1pro 3.7.1 also cannot read. :embrass: dang... why??!!!

nightwolf75 said:
willy - i believe its becos the encrypted WB in d70s. my trial version of C1pro 3.7.1 also cannot read. :embrass: dang... why??!!!
Nah.. my D2X's encrypted white balance can be read without problem... 4.2.6 cannot read the D70s... ver 4.3 is supposed to support D70s

A look through the bibblelabs forum revealed that it may be a slightly different firmware/make from different country?

*Crossing fingers that it will be solved soon*

nightwolf75 said:

Can. Just used D70s RAW files to open in CP1 3.7.1 but mine is a full version.

Although it's 3.7.1 but I think it's trial version may not be updated for D70s encrypted WB.

Status
Not open for further replies.