Beware of such silly mistake ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
I have been receiving a standard letter from this company, SINGAPORE BUSINESS PAGES, whose stationery, on first glance looks like the Yellow Pages or some similar directory co.
The letter is very simple, like ....

To be included and to ensure your accurate entry, kindly verify your information on the second page .....
Return to us by Mail or conveniently Fax to: Fax xxxxx before 29 Dec 2006.

From my past experience, there are a lot of business ppl or their staff out there who dont read fine prints in letter and the usual thing to do is to "chop and sign" and return fax. However this one comes with a heftly price: the moment you chop and sign and fax back to them, you will be SGD4,250 + GST poorer!

I hate and despise such business tricks, (but they know the law, and they are not breaking them). Also there are a few foreign EU companies doing the same thing.

So guys, please remind your parents, uncles, aunties, relatives, friends, etc... dont anyhow chop and fax back for free things.... :nono:

I thought there are so call 7 days cool down period for purchasing stuff, does this apply on this?

my goodness :( lost so much money!
What did you get in return?
i hear a few jokers got caught in this trick ..... they got back only headaches!

i hear a few jokers got caught in this trick ..... they got back only headaches!

Yes heard they sued and in the end was counter sued..... don't know if they won or lost the case. Was sued for breach of contract by the company that send the fax.... what a joke.

Yea, I heard of this too. Will go ask again to see what happened :)

What is it all about?
You sign it thinking that you get something but instead you get a big bill?

What is it all about?
You sign it thinking that you get something but instead you get a big bill?

i got that b4, it actually look like a update form, where on the bottom part, your company name, address, etc etc... then u fill up & fax back... the format look exactly like green book 1...

It's very true......... my friend faxed back...... in the end, after some bargaining........ compromised to advertise for $1000+ for a small space. Is there any recourse for others in such situation?

ya i got that too..lucky my ppl ask me to read first.:sweat:

Just ignore them, they didn't bother my Dad's company. If you check up their info, they are only a small setup.

It was out in the papers, maybe you can check the ST archives via Factiva or LexisNexis in the Library.

It's very true......... my friend faxed back...... in the end, after some bargaining........ compromised to advertise for $1000+ for a small space. Is there any recourse for others in such situation?

already in the rubbish bin .... maybe will try to savage n scan to show you on Monday .....
here is the standard letter ....

BusPages.jpg

(Please note that the sender is not breaking any legal law, but personally i think this is a rather immoral way of business practice.)

Just ignore them, they didn't bother my Dad's company. If you check up their info, they are only a small setup.

It was out in the papers, maybe you can check the ST archives via Factiva or LexisNexis in the Library.

maybe can sue them back if those who paid never see the publications

maybe can sue them back if those who paid never see the publications

Well, my Dad's company wanted to actually buy their directory and contact all those in the directory to take action against them. But since the company didn't contact them anymore, they thought that they should just forget about it. But hey, good idea!

I think this case was already featured in the New Paper a few months ago. So many people were tricked to believe that its from Yellow Pages. It was even brought to court I think and at the end, they will have to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.