Beware of shady characters at Peninsula Shopping Centre at night!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyuen

Feb 8, 2004
Jurong West
hi all just want to share this unpleasant experince yesterday.

here goes...

i was at TCW at 9.30pm yesterday night looking at the cameras on display on the shelves. There was this man un his early 50's walking around. He was at first walking away away from TCW but he turned around when he saw me walking towards TCW. he tried to start a conversation , sayin " this shop so early close... " or "what school are u from?" (i was in my school uniform) i tried to avoid answering his question with curt replies but he did not give up. i walked from the canon side of TCW to the nikon and leica side to avoid him but he continued to follow me. he was standing evry close to me. he continued asking me questions like which make i looking for etc...i did not reply but he kept repeating so i no choice. i already sensed sth amis but i saw 2 malay guys in their 20s lurking around then the man went to talk to one of the malay guys before returning to talk to me. then he ask me "what brand is this one...leica...never heard before." i knew somethings was very wrong. i said "german brand" i was thining how could anyone be looking at cameras at his age and not knowing wad a leica was!! then he ask me if i'm in a rush to go home and suggested that we go for a walk. WTH!! i declined and started to walk away and he asked me where i lived and aksed me if i wanted a lift back home. i refused and he repeat again saying that "i drove here" i quickly moved away and i hastened my pace when i noticed a malay guy walking straight towards me. God knows what will happen to me if i agree to go on a walk with him or even his in his car?!!! That building should employ more security guards. so guys beware of this ******* and other suspicious characters.

damn freaked out.

scary people are known to be all over singapore at night... but not knowing the name leica is :eek:

maybe you want to call up TCW to inform the staff about possibilities of people eyeing their wares...

goodness knows what he/they were up to, thankfully you're ok.

Is it possible to make report to the police on this? Maybe just to warn them about this people, maybe they will ask the building management to employ more security guards to do rounds...

hey hey this is no good....

Can we ask the Moderators and Admins here to promptly post a big one on front page to warn EVERYONE?...

btw, kind consider would this be happening to a lady or a ..:bigeyes:...guy? .. :sweat:

I think the scariest part is he doesn't even know what a Leica is! :eek: :bsmilie: Hee-hee...

Ok seriously, if I were you, I wouldn't even be talking to him. you just got to start a simple conversation of Yes and No and they guy will know you're a probably target.

Wah! I frequently go to TCW showroom around that time too!.......never had this experience before.....will check next time.......I had a similar experience long time ago when I was about 15, walking in a church in Amsterdam taking pictures inside.....then this guy (I suspect him to be around 35-40) approached me, trying to start a conversation, and he bluntly asked me if I wanted to follow him to his house to do 'things'......I answered no, and quickly walked away from him. Luckily he didn't follow me afterwards.......sad that this guy has these feelings towards young people, they need help.......maybe I should talk to this guy at TCW??????

Hong Sien

glyuen, sounds like you got into a close encounter of the gay kind. This kind of predators will usually hunt for young boys who are alone. They are quite common wherever students hang out. And I don't think that guy was even eyeing the cameras! He was making conversation to 'lure' you. I had a friend who was approached by such a person before in our school days. Luckily my friend was suspicious and started hinting that our friends like to bash gays up! Hahaha, that guy didn't dare to try anything then.
So here's a piece of advice for young boys, and girls as well. Do not hang out in quiet places alone, especially when stores are closed. And for goodness sake glyuen, it was 9:30pm already! You should be at home reading CS' forums!!! :nono:

wah..... scari.....
wat time does TCW close?

stated timing is 7pm

As always, members should be aware of their own personal safety while out and about. Although Singapore is safer than most other cities, its not completely 100% safe - its just that more discreet (for lack of a better word) or maybe even ignored/brushed over (to use a stronger word).

Also, the title of the thread is misleading and I have edited it - the actual area is Peninsula Hotel, and not really *TCW* per se. The area, even in daytime, is not that brightly lit, and while I have not been there at night, I can just imagine how it would be.

Can someone be there around 7pm to take pictures of these fellas. We could keep some of these troublemakers at bay.

Doesn't sound good to me :nono: , that these fellas are hanging around and causing harm to teenagers (be it boys or girls). :angry:

Hmmm. I think in glyuen's case they were trying to rob him.....thus the 2 accomplice. In hongsien's case it is clearly a case of homosexual activity....thus, "come home tieh me to do 'things'". In any case just try to avoid them totally. You should not even hang around anymore but should have just walk out to the main road or hotel where there is more people. If things gets worse just kick him in the bazoonkas and chow.:bsmilie:

Just after I got my 300D, when I was in Singapore taking photographs, I was approached by a friendly person who told me about clubsnap. :)
He was nice, friendly and taught me some things.
Was good to meet him :)

I was there yesterday ard 7+pm after street shooting in that area. The new face of TCW is -wow! very nicely renovated. Never know such 'stalkers' roam around that area.

Adiemus said:
Can someone be there around 7pm to take pictures of these fellas. We could keep some of these troublemakers at bay.

Doesn't sound good to me :nono: , that these fellas are hanging around and causing harm to teenagers (be it boys or girls). :angry:

take pics of those fellas? wow... whose gonna be so brave to shoot directly at them? lol

Darren said:
Also, the title of the thread is misleading and I have edited it - the actual area is Peninsula Hotel, and not really *TCW* per se. The area, even in daytime, is not that brightly lit, and while I have not been there at night, I can just imagine how it would be.

TCW is in Peninsula Shopping Centre. I don't think the hotel will be very happy with this title of this thread .....

reflecx said:
TCW is in Peninsula Shopping Centre. I don't think the hotel will be very happy with this title of this thread .....

If the posted incident happened immediately outside TCW which is in Peninsula Shopping Centre, then the amended heading is erroneous.

I do not think that the incident happened within the hotel's premises.

kegler said:
take pics of those fellas? wow... whose gonna be so brave to shoot directly at them? lol

Simple: There are so many cameras on the viewing shelves at TCW. Perhaps can use one or two of them to take pictures of these people? -- you know, like using IR trip sensors or somehting like that?

reflecx said:
Edited again. Thanks for the clarification.

Havent been to tat area for a long time already ... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.