Beware of handphone snatch thief

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Friend's handphone was snatched in broad day light by 3 Malay guys while talking on the way home. It's a very disheartening experience :( Somemore it happened right next to a main road in a housing estate.

Another thing I learnt from is that the local mobile operators (or at least M1) don't subscribe to the "service" to disable stolen phones. Each phone has a unique identifier and could be prevented from accessing networks. Now, because the mobile operators didn't subscribe to this so-called service (according to the customer service), stolen handphones could be easily reused and recycled.

I only know of the locking the phone to certain networks function , which IDA doesn't approved......

for the current fones , there is no way to disable it...(security code can be easily checked.....)

but there is a new technology which will allows this to happen in the future. ;)

Phones, phones, phones, & more phones.....

Mobile phones it seems - is king. Everyone's world evolves around a fancy snancy tuny-ringy mobile phone.

For me, I dun have to worry about mine being snatched :

1 ) it is an old antique of a thing
2) it aint shiny and microscopic in design
3) it's not only cheap - it's obsolete
4) I use top-up cards
5) and it's been dropped countless times
6) no body bothers to look at it - when they do, it is out of
disbelieve. ( "..I can't believe that guy is still usng that ..." )

No worries - when they snatch mine, I just shout after the :
"Hey, you need to top it up first - there's only about S$3.00 worth of calls left in there... take care now. Watch for that car ... "

Originally posted by spilot
Phones, phones, phones, & more phones.....

Mobile phones it seems - is king. Everyone's world evolves around a fancy snancy tuny-ringy mobile phone.

For me, I dun have to worry about mine being snatched :

1 ) it is an old antique of a thing
2) it aint shiny and microscopic in design
3) it's not only cheap - it's obsolete
4) I use top-up cards
5) and it's been dropped countless times
6) no body bothers to look at it - when they do, it is out of
disbelieve. ( "..I can't believe that guy is still usng that ..." )

No worries - when they snatch mine, I just shout after the :
"Hey, you need to top it up first - there's only about S$3.00 worth of calls left in there... take care now. Watch for that car ... "

Hehe......you using one of those "brick" phone?

...hehehe

by today's standards, yes, it's a rather compact piece of brick.

And it doesn't double up as musical box either. Just plain phone.

No body's gonna snatch tha.....

If they do, they'd be running along and when they take a glance at what they just snatched - they soon drop it on the ground and carry on running even faster....

hehehehe

wow... those guys had to steal phones..

i keep finding them.. so far found 3 8210s and 1 3310.. all in public transports..

all 3 8210s i give back 2 owner.. + reward hehe :) and the 3310 one.. nobody call so i keep lo :)

anywayz.. look out.. soon got Digicam snatch thieves.. better buy a good strap.

your friend stays in Woodlands?

if someone dare to snatch my camera, i will plant my gitzo ball head into his head

i think the tripod is strong enough to crack his skull

hmm..i wonder...if u accidentally killed/injuried someone when he tried to snatch or steal from u....is it an offence?

or only when the thief threaten u with knife and gun and u killed him...then can said that this is for self-defense?

i think its ok.. coz he was trying to take ur camera.. or steal from u. and if u kill him, u say.. he threaten to kill u lo.. so u kill him to defen urself.. :)

...err.. well,

No matter what the circumstances, if someone died as a consequence of your retaliation, defense, or outrage. A charge of Man Slaughter, Causing Grievious Hurt with a Dangerous Weapon, and or Defense with Use of Unreasonable Force can still be a very possible outcome as a Sentence.

Unless you can afford a very good defense lawyer, chances are, you'd end up behind bars some years.

It is afterall in "the book", that we should never take the Law into our own hands.

Regards,

CJ

;) oh ok! thanks for the info.

even if its accident, you go to jail.

In Australia, if the person come into your house and rob you, you injured the person seriously, he can still sue you.

Originally posted by lufu

In Australia, if the person come into your house and rob you, you injured the person seriously, he can still sue you.

....of which i felt australia has some of the most **** up stupid laws that has been created. you can have some bloody idiot suing someone for their own stupidity and they can win the case....you have free needles for junkies, who choose to inject themselves with all kind of shit, and diabieties have to pay for the needles...

Originally posted by lufu

Same for US. If you dug a hole right in front of a door, and a thief tripped and fell into the hole, injuring himself, you are liable for a lawsuit. Ridiculous.

In all these places where you can sue someone without paying lawyer's fees upfront, (the lawyers get a cut from the amount won in the lawsuit) people sue for anything. Ridiculous.

Regards
CK

people can even sue the Govt and win their cases in court.

but back in our homeland... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.