Beware: Exploding strobe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stereobox

Dec 21, 2003
Cocteau Twins
NEVER replace the fuse of your strobe other than with the recommended ones by the manufacturer.

This is what happened when a 6.3A fuse was used instead of the recommended 5A.

explodehz3.jpg
(inset: blown fuse)

This particular strobe has been giving me problems with the fuse, so thought of using one with different ampere rating). There was a buzzing sound and suddenly the whole strobe just exploded with a loud bang. luckily the shrapnels were shielded by a cloth and ricocheted off the fabric.

you have been warned! :eek: :sweat:

This applies to any high power electrical/electronic devices. There's a reason why the smaller fuse value is chosen in the first place. If the rated fuse blows easily, you should get the equipment serviced.

I think if you used a 4.5A fuse, you wouldn't be posting this now..

Fuse with same rating example 5A, comes with two rating fast blow or slow blow. I think such strobe would be using slow blow fuse due to high surge current.

*lol*

if you read carefully at my grammar, you can see the "I" part missing from the "thought of using one with different ampere rating" ;) ;p no names shall be mentioned! :bsmilie:

anyway, that's the story lor. the fuse kept blowing even though it was serviced relatively recently, so the "diagnosis" was perhaps the wrong fuse was used. (even if the wrong one was used, the expected response was it'll just kaput the strobe...but not explode!)

so lesson learnt! i decided to take some pix of it to serve as a warning to others =)

Warning appreciated. That is an eyeopener. :)

but i thought fuse ratings higher than the recommended value will not yield problems?

but i thought fuse ratings higher than the recommended value will not yield problems?

higher amp, the fuse won't blow, then other things start to blow... fuse is to be blown to prevent other things from getting burnt... thats y its your 1st line of defense...

like 1 guy said if he use 4.5A he won't be writing this, cos his 4.5A will be blowing too...

and i agree with another guy saying get slowblow fuse, can get those from SLS, comes in different A & sizes too.

btw T.S, your flash dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.