wdEvA

Sep 1, 2006
etanphotography.com
Sigma APO 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG MARCO
or
AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro

which is better between these two lens?

and what does DG, DI, LD stands for?

thanks, hmm comparing these two lens.. which would be better ?

price wise the tamron is cheaper.. but in terms of quality, is it worth the extra for the sigma?

I used to own the Sigma one and I must say that it's pretty good. No regret getting that. The APO lenses are great.

Sigma APO 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG MARCO
or
AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro

which is better between these two lens?

and what does DG, DI, LD stands for?

By the way, its MACRO not MARCO...

Di: Tamron's "EF-S"
LD: Low Dispersion

By the way, its MACRO not MARCO...

Di: Tamron's "EF-S"
LD: Low Dispersion

Di is not Tamron's EF-S. Those are "Di II".

From Tamron's website:
Di: Digitally Integrated Design, is a designation Tamron puts on lenses featuring optical systems designed to meet the performance characteristics of digital SLR cameras.

Sigma is better for this range. It is proven. You can google the reviews.

It has better built. Metal lens mount vs plastic lens mount.

I believe OP is selling Sigma 70-300mm for $280;)

yeap, checked the price at OP the other day..

hmm heard that QC for 3rd party lens are quite bad..
so how do i check the lens before making the purchase?

yeap, checked the price at OP the other day..

hmm heard that QC for 3rd party lens are quite bad..
so how do i check the lens before making the purchase?

Probably it is true that once in a while, you could get a lemon. But I suspect that the frequency that this occurs is exaggerated. There are a lot of Sigma haters out there, and not without reason. Years ago, they were quite crap. However in recent years, I think they've improved quite a lot, but some of the more experienced ones will still stick to their original opnions about Sigma.

So far, I've got 2 Tokinas, 2 Sigmas and 2 Tamrons and they've all been good. Mount the lens on the camera and take shots at the extremes of focal length, at wide open aperture, and maybe at f/8. Zoom in on the preview screen and you should be able to see how soft or sharp the image is.

But back to your original question: Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO, without a doubt. (Must go for the "APO" version!) I have one, and I love it.

DG is Sigma's designation for 35mm lenses that have a special coating that optimises its use on digital SLRs. Can be used on both full-framed and APS-C sized sensors.

Thanks.. seems like almost everyone is recommending the sigma.. but before i make the purchase may i know what are the disadvantages of this lens? cant seem to find detailed reviews on this lens.

hmm btw, if i were to take pics of flower, will the macro of this lens be better or a canon 50mm f1.8 be better for flowers?

Used to own the sigma and the disadvantages are:

1. Slow focus (can forget about using it for events)
2. Not bright enough
3. sharpness deteriorates with increasing focal length (rather poor from 200mm onwards)

But all in all, sharpness is still pretty good for a lens in that price range.
Here is a pic taken using the lens at the macro mode
_MG_1919.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.