Between the graduate and self taught

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yayne

Jun 5, 2006
In this day and age, if you are an employer in this line (photography, videography, media scene in general), between the academically superior graduate and the self taught streetwise school leaver, who will you employ?

And how differently will you reward them in terms of salary?

NPNT...

P= Portfolio...

seriously thou, its same like hiring a mechanic, a mechanic that can talk is a liability... a mechanic who knows how to get it fixed is an asset.

NPNT...

P= Portfolio...

seriously thou, its same like hiring a mechanic, a mechanic that can talk is a liability... a mechanic who knows how to get it fixed is an asset.

Ha ha ha... a mechanic that can talk and get things fixed is a GEM!!

Yup, your portfolio and personality is the most important issue here. Not papers and neither talk. And your track record of course.

Yeah why bother with what paper you have.. what matters is the portfolio and a good attitude.

:think: I think the price is oso an issue here.

But then, if both can produce the same kind of standard of quality work, having good working attitude and is charging the same price..how would u judge then?

NPNT...

P= Portfolio...

a superb mechanic that can fix but pisses everyone else off because he cannot talk is just as bad ;p

Of all the places I lived in over the past "so many years", employee in Singapore is the most "paper" conscious. Europe is also very "paper" conscious, but not for a photographer. The photographer's CV is the portfolio. The photographs must speak for themselves. Why should we care if the applicant has a photogrpahy related piece of "paper" or not?

:think: I think the price is oso an issue here.

But then, if both can produce the same kind of standard of quality work, having good working attitude and is charging the same price..how would u judge then?

Malaysian lor.. Singaporean same quality more expensive.

Of all the places I lived in over the past "so many years", employee in Singapore is the most "paper" conscious. Europe is also very "paper" conscious, but not for a photographer. The photographer's CV is the portfolio. The photographs must speak for themselves. Why should we care if the applicant has a photogrpahy related piece of "paper" or not?
matt or glossy?

Then let me pose this question...

For someone who doesn't know anything about photography at all, can he/she produce a good (meaning industry standard) portfolio in 10 intensive and extensive months of tutilage/training?

i am damn sure paper qualifications are more impt here in singapore. had worked in a company as a contract for a year, knew my work is up to standard and got good performance review. but after the contract ends and they want to convert me, they refuse to pay me on the same standard as other designers... used the qualification bullshit as an excuse. :thumbsd:

For someone who doesn't know anything about photography at all, can he/she produce a good (meaning industry standard) portfolio in 10 intensive and extensive months of tutilage/training?

maybe, maybe not. The thing is, even with a diploma in photography, does it guaranty that the person's work will be good? The only guaranty is that ... there is no guaranty.

i am damn sure paper qualifications are more impt here in singapore. had worked in a company as a contract for a year, knew my work is up to standard and got good performance review. but after the contract ends and they want to convert me, they refuse to pay me on the same standard as other designers... used the qualification bullshit as an excuse. :thumbsd:

I am having same problem here in my company. HR wants me to hire someone I see "paper" qualified. I want to promote someone from within whom HR deemed without qualification.

Guess what, I am not going to roll over on this one.

In this day and age, if you are an employer in this line (photography, videography, media scene in general), between the academically superior graduate and the self taught streetwise school leaver, who will you employ?

And how differently will you reward them in terms of salary?

Frankly, if the academically superior graduate or the self taught streetwise school leaver is any good, he will not have to look for an employer.

He employs himself. :)

Frankly, if the academically superior graduate or the self taught streetwise school leaver is any good, he will not have to look for an employer.

He employs himself. :)

or the employers come look for him :)

maybe, maybe not. The thing is, even with a diploma in photography, does it guaranty that the person's work will be good? The only guaranty is that ... there is no guaranty.

Doesn't this show that irregardless or not whether you have got a good portfolio, there are no guarentees. As what deadpoet has already mentioned.

The main difference is that some educational schools can link you with good industry contacts to start you on your way to be a successful photographer.

This is my view that is the difference between graduate and self-taught.

The bottom line is what do you want to do with a good network of contacts.

I am having same problem here in my company. HR wants me to hire someone I see "paper" qualified. I want to promote someone from within whom HR deemed without qualification.

Guess what, I am not going to roll over on this one.

Mentally ill those companies need paper qualification.

Cannot, need at least 4-5 years to be proficient.

Cannot, need at least 4-5 years to be proficient.
ditto... commercial experience is important cuz it'll weed out the redundant steps and refine the important areas of focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.