Between Raw abd Jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfpload

Nov 16, 2006
North
Hi there,newbie here.Need to know what is the different between Raw file and Jpeg .What is the most comman file use in DSLR?
I had also tried to open pic from Raw and was unable to see/edit anything.(using Adobe Photoshop)
If u burn Raw file picture,can u print in that format?
Any expert pls elabrate the diff and what is the comman software that i use to do editing cause now I am using Adobe photoshop.

Thanks

There is two kind of picture format.. If u choose raw it will take most memory space around 8MB per pic depending ur resolution setting , its not like jpeg is a bit smaller. Most DSLR camera can choose either one or both in RAW or jpeg format. Update or newer Adobe version do except RAW format . RAW is uncompressed format so is better to edit annd save to other type of format. Most common photo printout will be Jpeg.

There is two kind of picture format.. If u choose raw it will take most memory space around 8MB per pic depending ur resolution setting , its not like jpeg is a bit smaller. Most DSLR camera can choose either one or both in RAW or jpeg format. Update or newer Adobe version do except RAW format . RAW is uncompressed format so is better to edit annd save to other type of format. Most common photo printout will be Jpeg.
Let me do correction: RAW file is not affected by your resolution setting. RAW file size depend on how big is your sensor (how many MP is your camera). There are 2 types of RAW file (depend on camera, most camera only provide 1 type): Compressed RAW file and uncompressed RAW file. Compressed RAW file is smaller than uncompressed RAW file.

JPEG, depend on quality setting and resolution, can be very small compare to RAW file size.

Depend on post processing (on the PC), RAW file is higher quality even to the highest quality JPEG.

Regards,
Arto.

To the TS, what camera model and what photoshop CS version are you using ?

To the TS, what camera model and what photoshop CS version are you using ?

I am using d200 and photoshop cs ver 9.0 (i think,,,laptop in office,,hehehehe)
Thats mean is better to take Raw rather than Jpeg and quality is better at Raw?
After editing On Raw,should u change it to Jpeg b4 printing or leave it as Raw?Pls advise on this.But why my this ver. can't see any of Raw format?

RAW file keeps all the information captured when you press that button on the camera.

If you decide to shoot in JPEG, the camera will 'process' the information on the spot, depending on your choice of setting. It will choose the white balance, compensates the exposure, tweak the brightness , etc... and then compresses the information into what we see as the JPEG file.

If you shoot in RAW, you have to do all these things yourself (using some software), or let the 'Auto' mode in some software do it for you. I do these things in Photoshop. The software that comes with the camera also allows you do the processing.

Whether the final output is better or worse really depends on your skill at processing the file. You'll think that the human eye is better than some standard chip in the camera, but some people have bad taste, and there's nothing we can do to help them.

However, RAW processing does give you a wider range to play with. For example, you can bring back images that have been under/over exposed by 1 stop with little loss in quality. You can play the shadows and highlights, etc... to bring back an otherwise unusable shot. There are also other things, like white balance, curve, etc.. that you can play with.

Personally, I shoot in RAW at all times.

I am using d200 and photoshop cs ver 9.0 (i think,,,laptop in office,,hehehehe)
Thats mean is better to take Raw rather than Jpeg and quality is better at Raw?
After editing On Raw,should u change it to Jpeg b4 printing or leave it as Raw?Pls advise on this.But why my this ver. can't see any of Raw format?

Quality is better at RAW only if your skill at post processing is respectable.

I prefer to save as psd file because there are usually some other things I want to do in Photoshop (like cropping, rotating, layer masking, etc.)

If you want to send it to the commercial photo developer, you should save it in JPEG because that's the most accepted format.

usually the saying is, "if you don't know why you need it, then you don't need it"

but of course, it's also good to learn wat options u have even if you don't need it.

i suggest you google this. then come back and ask more specific questions regarding RAW.

actually no need to google, i think CS here itself got alot of info why RAW, and why not, and wat it is, and wat it is not.

Thanks all guys out there .

The problem is I cant even open the raw file on photoshop ,so how can I do editing on it,,,is there any special setting so that I can open this file..Any?

The problem is I cant even open the raw file on photoshop ,so how can I do editing on it,,,is there any special setting so that I can open this file..Any?

You need at least Adobe Camera Raw 3.3 to be able to handle your D200 raw files.

photoshop cs ver 9.0

It does not matter which version of Photoshop you have because the D200 is a rather new camera. If the software preceeds the camera, of course it won't work with the camera unless you update the software.

You need to go to the Adobe website, download the latest RAW plugin and put it in the right plugin folder as per Adobe's instructions.

Alternatively, use the software that came with your camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.