Better Picture quality with CF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

astroman

Apr 12, 2006
Some time back i spoke to a camera salesman at a fair and asked why Nikon's camera uses only CF (back then), his reply was CF card has better processing power as compared to SD. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks.

i would say more memory space... :)
hard to say lah... technology so fast-paced..
this year got this item, next year it disappears

THis is alsmost as good as the ISO = Image stabiliser On claim. I think CF cards used to have larger capcities and faster transfer speeds as compared to SD cards but now its almost matching laio..

Some time back i spoke to a camera salesman at a fair and asked why Nikon's camera uses only CF (back then), his reply was CF card has better processing power as compared to SD. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks.

tell that salesman to shove his theory up his @$$ haha....
CF is just a media to store photos/files.... no "processing" is done in it.
the camera ONLY write/read in and out of the memory card.

i think it's just simply coz at that time when they started there was only microdrives and then CFs which share the same drives... then it had better appeal to the pros who already have such cards... i believe this is partially y canon has not made the switch.. people will have to spend money to change card formats.. CF cards are also bigger, so less easy to lose and are generally tougher than the smaller thinner SD cards (i think)..

SD came later... but the smaller size and better value will appeal to many new users, although it is slightly slower, but only by one step (Sandisk just announced Extreme III SD cards).. capacity wise, it's the same.. there are 8GB SD cards around now...
this could be the reason behind the switch... it is a pulling factor if u compare the costs of CF vs SD... and the better portability and compatability with hundreds of other cameras/handphones/pda...

In the year 2030, I predict that there will be batteries that help you take photos with better picture quality.

I'm looking forward to it!

Salesman told u "better processing power"; and u interpreted as "better picture quality"; and ppl who replied to this thread interpreted your interpretation differently again...

CF card has better processing power as compared to SD = Untrue

But CF Card are more durable compared to SD Card.. I had 2 SD Cards which split open, with the write protect tab dropping out. Manage to get them to work after using scotch-tape to bind them back...

But SD Card are smaller in size & not to mention they are kinda faster nowadays at the same price point when compare to same range of product. (Example Transcend High Speed CF @ 120x while SD @ 150x)

In the year 2030, I predict that there will be batteries that help you take photos with better picture quality.

wa lau, haha.. everyone so serious suddenly u come out with this... but damn funny...

(Example Transcend High Speed CF @ 120x while SD @ 150x)
Is the 'x' in both specifications the same? Should compare using the read/write MB/s.

Is the 'x' in both specifications the same? Should compare using the read/write MB/s.

Refer to this
Each x = 150Kb/s

CF 120x = 120 x 150 / 1024 = 17.578 Mb/s
SD 150x = 150 x 150 / 1024 = 21.972 Mb/s

The ratings are all done by the manufacturers under their so-call controlled tests. We should always take such rating with a pinch of salt.

But of course... all these are just specs... How fast it really can go will depends on the device itself....

actually i am just wondering if there is any true in it.... but i notice that the higher ends cameras are using CF and the entry level are using SD. Perhaps it is just most professional are already using CF and it is easier for them to switch..... anyway thanks for all the input...

not all high end cameras uses CF anyway, the leica M8 uses SD cards as well.

Hahahah! Now CF card even have C2D built in for even better processing power!:bsmilie:

In the year 2013, I predict that there will be Lomos that take CF cards and help you take photos with lousy picture quality which will have people go ga ga.

All the newer Nikon are using SD cards now, does that mean all cameras in the future will be using it instead of CF?

In the year 2013, I predict that there will be Lomos that take CF cards and help you take photos with lousy picture quality which will have people go ga ga.

0.o

No what, Lomos are fun already and people go ga ga already.

I bet in the future improvement will be made in that the Lomos will just walk around and take photos by themselves. And then at the end of the day you can just get back your 1 Terrabyte worth of photos and filter through all to find a good APAD shot. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.