Better equip=better pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

langzi

dear all, i would like to share my views after spending a ceratin amt of time here at clubsnap.

it appears that certain ppl here, not all, mind you, have the thinking that: if i have better equipments, i can take better pics.

my view is that this sorta of thinking is wrong to a extent. if i were to give a professional a manual SLR with 50mm fixed lens, i bet that he will be able to take better pics then a better equip wannabe.

the exception is those serious professional who makes a living outta his pics. he will have to constantly be on the lookout for better equip that will facilitate his work and make his job easier, thus the need for powerful equipments.

but then, the thrend is that some wannabes here always go for the powerful equip, like D1x lah....the upcoming D100 and all that...i mean, why the need for these equip? if it's gonna make you feel high like a professional...then go ahead..at the end of the day, it's still the pics that matters...but sadly, with PS, even a bad pic can look good...

cheers,
langzi

Wah, contentious topic! :rbounce:

To a certain extent, the equipment does not help you take better pics. A Leica M6, Nikon F5, (insert other top end camera) etc does not make you a better photographer if you can't even grasp the basics of things such as lighting, composition, exposure, etc.

To a certain extent, once you reached a certain level, or need to do some specialized type of photography (like sports), your equipment can limit you (that still does not make you a worse photographer).

I think this topic has been debated countless times (I think there was a thread here on the same topic previously), and there is never a solid conclusion, coz there are both sides to the coin.

My advice: Use whatever equipment you have now to its fullest, don't just upgrade coz the new equipment has more bells and whistles, more knobs, more dials, etc. Don't bother about MTF charts, etc and buy another lens just because it's 10lpm better in resolution, or just because it's a L lens, etc. Learn to maximize your equipment, and you'll save yourself a lot of misery, and more importantly, money.

Of coz, if you seriously feels that your current equipment is limiting you, then consider upgrading. But make sure you know what you are upgrading for.

Regards
CK

Better equipment will not ensure better pic, but it can give you higher possibility capturing better pic. With modern AF camera, your chances of getting sharp focus...5 frame per seconds shots and one of them are good compo...use D1x and shoot hundreds of photos "freely"...the chances of getting satisfying pic is higher.

The word "better equipment" doesn't necessary mean latest equipment too. Some still prefer Leica...although no AF, but for its quiet sound...and small/light. It is a good street photo camera. Try bring a Nikon F5 around...and by the time you hold up your camera...everybody is gone.

I upgrade because I want certain features appear in certain model, or just because I feel like. New equipment might motivate to shoot more (excitement), thus can lead to produce more photos...one of them might be good photo.

IT actually also depends on what is your idea of a better pic.
1. better resolution/ sharper pictures
2. better sense of creation

if your answer is 1. i personally fell that better equipment is a right choice. if not why people go for the leica with zeiss lens. they go for because that he wants better resolution and contrast in their pictures

but if your answer is 2. I feel that it is better to stick with what you have not. as sense of creation does not come with better equipment, it comes with how you see thing or how do you position yourself ETC.

so this is what i feel about better equipment

I think this is an over-discussed topic. We always hear 50mm lens as being a standard lens, give to pro, he can make good shots compared to beginners, want sharp shots, go for prime lenses, etc.

All I can say is, photography sometimes is like buying a car. I cannot still understand the mentality of singaporeans: why in the world would u buy a $130,000 or $200,000 car when u could get another slightly less powerful or maybe smaller one for only $80,000? It's still a good car! Do you need the power and comfort? Or consider the fact that in other countries, that same car only cost 3-4 times less? And in S'pore??? Where you can count the number of traffic lights along the way faster than you can maintain 100 km/h for more than 10 minutes!

True, I'm sometimes surprised that people who are not even a pro owning D1X and pro lenses. Do they need them? Probably not. But if they can afford it, why not? Pro lenses and camera bodies give you more confidence. It tells people, see, I have this expensive stuff in my hands. I can afford it. It's a jewel some expensive people wear on their bodies; it's like driving a BMW 7 series compared to a Nissan Sunny.

But in phootgraphy, at the end of the day, it's the the quality of your pics. But I say again, if you can afford it, why not? How many people buy 300, 400 or even 500mm lenses because they really need them or are into nature photography IN THE FIRST PLACE? My guess is, they have the money, they splurge it on phootgraphy, buy 100-400 mm, IS, L, etc pro lenses, and then go out to the zoo, Sungei Bulohs, BG, join the nature photo society and then self-proclaim themselves as a nature photographer. I really doubt these people buy the lenses because they appreciate nature first.

The danger about photography is that, there's no limits. So you can really spend and spend till one day you ask yourself: Is this hobby taking too much of my time and $$$??? If you can still afford it, cos you earn a reasonable amount and wouldn't mind going out in the streets looking for something when others would rather stay home or simply enjoy a good picnic, paying $100-200 a month on films, accessories, etc. then upgrade...and upgrade...and upgrade, you'll stick with the same routine. From an F60 to F100 to F4 and then to digital D1X or whatever you have it; from EOS 50 to 3 to 1v, 28-80 to primes lenses, to L lenses...where does it end?

But some people quit bcos they find they need to concentrate on their families, or they find photography is simply sapping too much of their time and $$$. I admire people who go out in the streets with their cameras TRYING to find things to shoot. A man on a park bench, people waiting to cross roads, etc. I used to do this when I first started out. Later I find it a bit silly and very time-wasting. I mean, I'm not a reporter or whatsoever. Why would I care about a stranger doing his own business? Nowadays, I'd rather spend my time taking pics I know I enjoy myself, and of cos, I save money and time to do many other things unrelated to such forms of street photography.

That's my opinion. Others think otherwise. No right or wrong. SO if you ask me, being a Canon user, I'll say I want the Canon 1v, D1, most of the L lenses even though I'm not a pro. Give me a 600mm f/4 IS L lens even! Whatever lens you give me, I'm sure there's a use for it. But then, can I afford it? If so, I'll get it! Do I need it? That's a diferent question altogether. If money and time can make me afford it, you hardly question the need for me to buy it anymore...

I enjoyed Camera1001's diatribe cos' it has a ring of truth in it. The description of people who buy expensive zoom lenses and only shoot say, Zoo photographs and think they can call themselves 'wildlife/nature photographers' is hilarious.

my philophopy about this goes like this

"the more you go out to take = the more better pics you get"

I'm more interested in street photography, but I believe this works for many other different photography styles too.

Give someone 20 outings with a disposable camera, he will probably be able to produce some better shots compated to a person with 1 roll of film, an F5 and some expensive lens.

rgs
rueyloon

Originally posted by langzi
the exception is those serious professional who makes a living outta his pics. he will have to constantly be on the lookout for better equip that will facilitate his work and make his job easier, thus the need for powerful equipments.

I hate to dissapoint you but your so far off the mark here that it's laughable.

The majority of pros change their gear when it's either worn out, or amortized in accordance with the taxation laws where they live.

Most of us involved in professional photography do keep an eye on possible labour saving advancements, however most of us are also wise enough to know that there's a big difference between manufacturer's hype and commercial reality.

but then, the thrend is that some wannabes here always go for the powerful equip, like D1x lah....the upcoming D100 and all that...i mean, why the need for these equip? if it's gonna make you feel high like a professional...then go ahead..at the end of the day, it's still the pics that matters...but sadly, with PS, even a bad pic can look good...

I agree with your general sentments here, however even with PS a bad pic will still be a bad pic, just now it's a doctored bad pic! PS can do wonders but it really can't cure poor technique, bad composition nor a multitude of other photographic sins.

Interesting comments, but I would say it cynical and one-sided comment.

If professional looks for equipment to facilitate their work. Why shd this stop amatuers from using better equipment to facilitate the photo taking process? In another view, does it mean tht since I'm a newbie, I can't get good equipment?

Also, I think langzi hv this wrong concept about photography equipement as being 'powerful'. I dare say tht most of us here dun view certain cameras as being more 'powerful' than the rest. Only equipment collectors will view it in such a manner...

It's true. I'm a rubbish photographer without my expensive equipment and Photoshop. But don't tell anyone cause I've been keeping it a secret. I used to take really crap pictures until I upgraded my camera, and then noticed my standard get better and better the more I upgraded. It's sad that now, I have the most expensive equipment available, so it's difficult to improve anymore as a photographer. I suppose that also means I'm also the best photographer in the world. Never thought of it that way. Cool.

Oh no. CK's just (as of 3 minutes ago) told me I'm only the 2nd best photographer in the world. Crap. His mate's got a Leica M6 apparently.

Shucks, I am so far off from being best photographer! No Leica, No F5, No AFS lenses. Heck, I don't even have the best loupe and lightbox to view my pics!

Regards
CK

dear all, i would like to share my views after spending a ceratin amt of time here at clubsnap.

it appears that certain ppl here, not all, mind you, have the thinking that: if i have better equipments, i can take better pics.

my view is that this sorta of thinking is wrong to a extent. if i were to give a professional a manual SLR with 50mm fixed lens, i bet that he will be able to take better pics then a better equip wannabe.

cheers,
langzi

You just don't get it do you? Just like the film vs digital thingy. Who do you think you're to question on what other people buy? Who are you to decide who should buy what? Instead of wasting your time on these useless ponders, why don't you spend your time on taking more images. Now that we know how good a "philosopher" you're, let's see how good a photographer you're.

Hi

after tuning in to langzi's sparkling repartee (aren't they always? ;)) i can't help but think that most of these questions stem from an innate sense of insecurity, lack of self confidence and a failure to suppress the envy within from seeing others upgrade to better equipment.

While many of the questions raised may be valid concerns, Langzi, u're making the comments based on wat u see here on this forums - about pple talking about upgrading to the D100, F5, better lenses etc etc. Do you know these pple well enough to say that they are buying because they think it will help them be better photographers?

Has it ever occured to you that they may want a DIGITAL slr because they would like more convenience and to save on film costs? Oh i forgot, u're the typical anti digital kind.....

If you have a crappy camera, then don't berate others for having or wanting better equipment. You just have to prove to yourself by taking better pictures and improving your own skills. Heck, you don't even have to prove to us or anyone u're better with a lesser camera.

Trying too hard to prove the point will only reveal to others your true envious, insecure character and your true intentions of putting down others who may have justifiable reason for upgrading to good equipment and who may be taking their photography very seriously, serious enough to warrant a sizable sum of investment into their tools

In fact, if u're really secure in the knowledge and have enough faith in the fact that a lesser camera can also take good pictures, then prove it by actions, not push the idea using words. Faith without works is dead. Faith with words is hypocrisy.

Both your previous postings about film vs digital and your current post here just betrays your innermost insecurity and envy.

it's not about photography. it's about how u feel inside. You're clearly envious about others having better equipment. Get over it - go out and take some nice pictures. Instead of wondering why others spend so much on THEIR hobby, enjoy YOURS.

(assuming YOUR hobby IS taking pictures....)

whao...the heat is growing...come'on ppl...grab your popcorn buckets and sit infornt of this screen and press F5 once every 5 mins and i think you'll see a reply...hm....wonder if i'll get as many hit as i did with my last digital vs convectional thread...

ppl, i would like to state that what i type here is just my opinion and without the intention of flaming anyone or trying to change anyones idea.

i am glad that some of you,except a few, support me that some photographers have a 600mm f/4 lens and shot a few pics of birdies and then they call them self wildlife photographers. well, i've shot for newspaper b4, so does that makes me a photojournalist?

you know, i find it quite sad that in singnet classified, sometimes you find ppl selling off equipments 2 mths old, and the reason for selling? upgrading....or so they say..
i mean, you have not even 'get connected' with your camera and you want to sell it off....these are those wannabes who cannot be contended with the equipments they have....so what if they are rich?
i have to admit that some rich photographers are good, but some of my frens fathers who owned M6 and F5, apparantly dont really have the eye. i mean, for photography, sometimes the eye is needed to see certain things differently...

i know....im gonna get flamed again....well, lifes like a vacuum cleaner....it sux!

cheers,
langzi

langzi,

I agree with you - you know, I was a really terrible cook a few months ago, can't even boil water... but you know what, I spent S$17,995.95 to buy the following:-

1. Top of the range Teka oven/gas cooker/grill combo set
2. Set of Meyer cookware (50pcs) - all Teflon lined - woks, pots, pans, etc. you name it I got it.
3. A set of German Pro-class knives (Schwilling something or other) - damn sharp, cut thru anything
4. Pyrex plates and restaurant quality knives, forks and spoons.

In short, I changed my entire kitchen and dining sets but it was worth it. Overnight, my cooking became WORLD-CLASS... i can now cook Scrumptious Roasts, Superb Souffles, Ice Cold Ice Cream, Ghoulish Goulashes, you name it, I cook it PERFECTLY ... now, every weekend, I have to turn away, yes, turn away close friends and relatives cos they all want to taste my cooking.... and to think i just changed my cookware and all this happened.

I guess the same can apply to Cameras, which I think i will try next... I buy the most expensive equipment and OVERNIGHT, I can be like Arthur Morris, Art Wolfe, Frans Lanting, etc etc.

Would you agree? Or am i just being sarcastic?
;) ;p

Originally posted by Darren
langzi,

I agree with you - you know, I was a really terrible cook a few months ago, can't even boil water... but you know what, I spent S$17,995.95 to buy the following:-

1. Top of the range Teka oven/gas cooker/grill combo set
2. Set of Meyer cookware (50pcs) - all Teflon lined - woks, pots, pans, etc. you name it I got it.
3. A set of German Pro-class knives (Schwilling something or other) - damn sharp, cut thru anything
4. Pyrex plates and restaurant quality knives, forks and spoons.

In short, I changed my entire kitchen and dining sets but it was worth it. Overnight, my cooking became WORLD-CLASS... i can now cook Scrumptious Roasts, Superb Souffles, Ice Cold Ice Cream, Ghoulish Goulashes, you name it, I cook it PERFECTLY ... now, every weekend, I have to turn away, yes, turn away close friends and relatives cos they all want to taste my cooking.... and to think i just changed my cookware and all this happened.

I guess the same can apply to Cameras, which I think i will try next... I buy the most expensive equipment and OVERNIGHT, I can be like Arthur Morris, Art Wolfe, Frans Lanting, etc etc.

Would you agree? Or am i just being sarcastic?
;) ;p
Oh ....................
crucified.gif

whao...the heat is growing...come'on ppl...grab your popcorn buckets and sit infornt of this screen and press F5 once every 5 mins and i think you'll see a reply...hm....wonder if i'll get as many hit as i did with my last digital vs convectional thread...

oops...i forgot u're only 17...

i am glad that some of you,except a few, support me that some photographers have a 600mm f/4 lens and shot a few pics of birdies and then they call them self wildlife photographers. well, i've shot for newspaper b4, so does that makes me a photojournalist?

i see u gravitate towards pple who agree with u......if they agree with u they must be right, correct?

you know, i find it quite sad that in singnet classified, sometimes you find ppl selling off equipments 2 mths old, and the reason for selling? upgrading....or so they say..
i mean, you have not even 'get connected' with your camera and you want to sell it off....these are those wannabes who cannot be contended with the equipments they have....so what if they are rich?
i have to admit that some rich photographers are good, but some of my frens fathers who owned M6 and F5, apparantly dont really have the eye. i mean, for photography, sometimes the eye is needed to see certain things differently...

yup u're right. nobody says u're wrong. u asked "so wat if they are rich?". Yup....so wat? it's their money. They spent it the way they want to, and if they want to spend it foolishly, then so be it. meanwhile u can go ahead and take good pictures with watever you have.

my point here and in the previous post is that u should stop looking at others have and want. The pple in this forum may want to upgrade from a film SLR to a digital SLR - that's their concern. If u like your current setup, then good for u. Envying and attacking others will never amount u to a hill of beans. Taking good pictures will.

i know....im gonna get flamed again....well, lifes like a vacuum cleaner....it sux!

i don't think anyone including me has seriously flamed u....YET :rbounce:

trust me.....u haven't seen all of the bad things in life yet at the age of 17.....

Should I start? :gbounce: :gbounce: Should I start? :rbounce: :rbounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.