Better deal? Instalment payment from Superstores or buy cash from retailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashbulb

Jun 20, 2008
Considering to get a DSLR and am standing by at the B&S forum for good 2nd hand deals as currently am hesitant to pay all at once for a brand new DSLR but kinda hard to find one with warranty remaining for the cameras i am looking for in the 2nd hand market.

if budget is an issue, is it okay to pay by instalments for the camera? Let`s say Courts, wil the offer be the same for all branches or can be different one?

For the seasoned camera buyers, would you recommend instalments? if extended warranty is offered...take?

If you must get a camera that is out of your budget and paying via installment, it is far better to buy from the reputed shops such as CP, TK, MS etc. Their prices are lower than those offered by the megastores and thus, you have lesser to pay for each month. For example, a Nikon D300 body is selling for $2999 at Courts but around $2500 at the camera shops. What's more, most megastores do not have the great variety of lenses/accessories/bags carried by the camera shops.

You can opt to get the older models like Canon 350D/400D/30D or Nikon D70s/D200 or other brands from the BnS as people are dumping them to get the latest models but they still provide the necessary features to learn and sharpen your photographic skills.

Try not to buy out of your means. Cameras are toys to most (unless you're a pro photographer) and toys can wait. I would prefer to buy from a reputable store then try my luck at a megastore.

Samuel

Try not to buy out of your means. Cameras are toys to most (unless you're a pro photographer) and toys can wait. I would prefer to buy from a reputable store then try my luck at a megastore.

Samuel

Strongly agree. and also remember... Some may disaree with me but IMO, camera is getting more and more like PCs nowadays... they get obsolete in a span of a few years.

Wise words: thumbsup:
You still got other things like a drycabinet ..

Ryan
already have an existing setup albeit its more like a diy setup, just getting ready to jump to manual dslr.

Not to discourage you. If you go by instalment, not too sure of others, Cathay give max 12months 0% for most credit cards. You can still look around, especially during fair, stores like HN can give very good offer, plus longer instalment period of up to 24 or 36months.

I always go by instalment means, esp now most digital stuff go out-dated very fast. So, pay a little at a time like rental, better than 1 large sum, and only a few months time, the camera price which you had paid drop. Then, you will regret and ask why not wait? The price of paying by credit card/instalment/Nets as compare to cash is normally about 7% (GST).

But coming back, you must be sure you can have that kind of income to carry on with the instalment.

Cheers!

Cheers!

There is nothing wrong about installments. Just that you might end up overspending quite easily if you decided to take installments for another interesting ( lens ) for example ..

Even if they have zero interest installment plans, are their prices competitive to start with

Ryan

A superstore already charges higher prices. Plus installment, you are paying much, much higher than what you can buy at retailers.

Strongly agree. and also remember... Some may disaree with me but IMO, camera is getting more and more like PCs nowadays... they get obsolete in a span of a few years.

Bodies get obsolete quite fast.. Lenses not so bah.

cameras are never going to be obsolete.. it's the people that think they are obsolete. are you telling me that people actually need something even faster than the current top end models in terms of shooting speed now? i don't think so. i don't mean this in an all-encompassing manner, of course people want better iso capabilities, lower noise, etc.. but when it comes to certain shots, with good lighting, with less motion in the picture, are you telling me that a d3 is going to be better able to nail the shot compared to a d50?

anyways, re ts' question. if you cannot afford camera, SAVE UP. it gives you good discipline. instalments are a venomous thing, especially if one cannot control it, interest or interest-free. soon you will have car instalment, housing instalment, this instalment, that instalment - do you really want to sit around every month having a headache when sudden expenses pour in? an instalment plan makes a short-term commitment turn into a long-term one, as far as i can see, unless the item is really better done as an instalment paying manner, but cameras are relatively small ticket items.. so why would you need instalments to get one? i saved like hell to get my first dslr throughout national service - no cookhouse, no transport claims, book-out.. the sense of achievement when i got it was sweet.

Do your research before buying the items. Some promotions by the megastores may not be bad compared to the retailers like the Nikon promotion by Harvey Norman during the March IT show and they offer longer installment terms (2~3 years) with 0% interest. For example, the Nikon D300 package (with battery grip) offered by Harvey Norman during the March IT Show was pretty good. Sell off the bundled items and the price is pretty close to prices offered by the retailers. However, the package during the June PC Show was not as good. Otherwise, retailers usually offer 0% interest installment with cheaper price which are usually better deals.

Very simple, if you are not comfortable to pay all a once, go on instalment then. Anyway, why do you have to consult others with regards to how you should spend your money?

If ‘budget is an issue', my piece of advice is DON’T buy, save it for rainy day, you wouldn’t know when the rainy will come and definitely wouldn’t want to be caught with your pants down (I meant either all your cash spent or still committing to monthly instalment repayments… go and read today’s newspaper).

cameras are never going to be obsolete.. it's the people that think they are obsolete. are you telling me that people actually need something even faster than the current top end models in terms of shooting speed now? i don't think so. i don't mean this in an all-encompassing manner, of course people want better iso capabilities, lower noise, etc.. but when it comes to certain shots, with good lighting, with less motion in the picture, are you telling me that a d3 is going to be better able to nail the shot compared to a d50?

anyways, re ts' question. if you cannot afford camera, SAVE UP. it gives you good discipline. instalments are a venomous thing, especially if one cannot control it, interest or interest-free. soon you will have car instalment, housing instalment, this instalment, that instalment - do you really want to sit around every month having a headache when sudden expenses pour in? an instalment plan makes a short-term commitment turn into a long-term one, as far as i can see, unless the item is really better done as an instalment paying manner, but cameras are relatively small ticket items.. so why would you need instalments to get one? i saved like hell to get my first dslr throughout national service - no cookhouse, no transport claims, book-out.. the sense of achievement when i got it was sweet.

:thumbsup: My sentiments exactly. Totally agree! :cheers:

My D50 might be obsolete to some (some might not even have hear of it anymore), but it is still serving me well...

Its not that instalment is bad, it just requires huge discipline to manage your finances well. Unless you are professional and earning from photography, then it is a hobby. If it is a hobby, then it is not purposeful to spend beyong your means. Even if you pay by installment, you need to make sure you have the amount already set aside to pay for it.

Very simple, if you are not comfortable to pay all a once, go on instalment then. Anyway, why do you have to consult others with regards to how you should spend your money?

Don't you know this ie newbie corner. Everyone comes here to ask for opinions and advice....:bsmilie:

if anyone don't know how to spend their money, they can always give to me, and I will help them donate to the poor and needy (those who don't even have basic water and sanitation.).

You mean the camera body's technology right ? Cause lenses hardly get obsolete so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.