Best WEATHERPROOF compact camera

Pinkishy

Dec 29, 2003
Singapore, Opera Estate
Hi Guys!

My parents are heading to Europe, and its winter now. My mum still loves to use those old one-button press and shoot FILM camera :bigeyes:

Anyway, I am worried that the camera will not work in the winter, and am planning to get a weather proof camera.

So far in the reviews I have read, Olympus seems to be on top for these types of cameras.

Can any of you advise if this is accurate, or if you are using, are the pictures clear and all?
Its their first trip to Europe and dad's getting old.. so.. would want them to have decent photos with just pressing one button :bsmilie:

My frd uses the Olympus tough cam, pictures are pretty decent and Video is quite good. She used it during winter in Hokaiddo.

Do check out Panasonic and Nikon ones too. BTW do get one extra batt my 2 cents

Anyway, I am worried that the camera will not work in the winter, and am planning to get a weather proof camera.
I hope you realize that 'Winter' and 'weather' are two different things. Lower temperatures affect battery performance and no 'best weather proofing' will change that.
Weather proofing helps to keep humidity out and protects against drizzle or splashes. During Winter time, humidity is very low. Most cameras will tolerate some snow or water drops without issue. Nothing to be worried about. Beside this: most cameras are designed in Japan and rumour has it that they have Winter there, once a year :) I suspect they know a thing or two about cold weather.

[video=youtube;RCT-YMgjm9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k[/video]

not a compact. but worth a look

Hi Guys!

My parents are heading to Europe, and its winter now. My mum still loves to use those old one-button press and shoot FILM camera :bigeyes:

So far in the reviews I have read, Olympus seems to be on top for these types of cameras.

Can any of you advise if this is accurate, or if you are using, are the pictures clear and all?
Its their first trip to Europe and dad's getting old.. so.. would want them to have decent photos with just pressing one button :bsmilie:

Olympus TG-1 for sure... now the TG-2 I think.

The TG-1 doesn't come with an external battery charger.
The battery is charged in-camera.
The socket for the charging cable is in a weather sealed chamber which has two locking mechanism which can be quite cumbersome. I
The original battery and external battery charger is rather expensive. Nevertheless, I would recommend to get them.

The 25mm f2.0 lens is great for landscape and low light.

@markyen: Thanks for the feedback! That's a good idea.. its hard enough trying to get them to understand how to open the battery compartment :|

@Rashkae: Thanks for the links! I've read most of it before posting here.. which is why i've narrowed down to Panasonic FT-4 and Oly TG-1

@Octarine: Thanks for the advise, no need for sarcasm though! :p Yes I am fully aware of the difference between winter and weather. Perhaps I did not phrase my question accurately enough. I am also aware that digital cams function in winter (in reference to your "I am sure Japan knows a thing or two about winter"). What i meant is the manual FILM camera that my mum is using, camera shop advised that its spring loaded which might not work in freezing temperature. I'm a winter idiot, so need advise from people who have used rugged cameras.. in this way I don't have to worry if my parents drop it.. rain.. snow.. whatever.. instead of passing them my G12 which she has difficulty using.

*Latest update: The OLY TG-2 just launched.. most probably getting it.. kklee: thanks for this feedback!!! i went to check out the TG-2 but didn't think to open the battery compartment.. darn.. need to look again... Anyway, the price is $560.. lowest i found is $530..
So likely getting TG-2..

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!

Oly TG-1 is the best I've used so far. And still in love with it. Its definitely going with me for my next Eurotrip in Nov.

Spring will still work in winter. Shot in -25 deg C before and my lenses and non-weather sealed dslr worked fine too. Don't have to worry too much.

I got TG-2 when it first launched and I sold it off within days the image quality is like mobile phone standard and it cost over S$500

This is surprising...I got a TG1 and it withstood -14 deg temp in Japan and heavy snowfall. Even used it for swimming and video underwater and the results are excellent. The only issue (similar to most cameras) is that video in indoor low light conditions the camera will struggle a bit on the focussing. Other than that, the TG1 works fine!

Pentax WG-2. Ive used it to go to antartica, neg -25, diving, 14metres deep, shockproof, and dustproof. 16MP. no issues