Best way to prepare pic for large format print?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastboltnut

Mar 23, 2006
Where the wind blows...
Hi guys and gals,

If I need to prepare my pic for large format printing and the desired physical needs to down the resolution to below 100dpi, what is the best way to do this?

1. Do I just print at the <100dpi file and let the software/printer do the resizing (interpolation)?

2. Or do I use photoshop to resize the pic (like save to higher resolution)?

3. Or is there a better workflow to this?

Thank you very much!

Hi lastboltnut,

I don't quite understand your question and what you mean by <100dpi file. A digital picture has no associated dpi, only resolution, until it is presented on a media (e.g. screen, print, etc). Anyway, I assume what you want to do is to print a low resolution pic into large format. In this case, you might want to consider using fractal programs to upsize your picture, e.g. Genuine Fractals 5. Fractals upsizing is usually much better then interpolation like bicubic etc.

Cheers.

how big is the printout gonna be? and for what purpose (eg. framed picture, banner, point of sales poster, etc)?

Thanks guys for replying.

I am talking about blowing up pics to more than the pic's pixel can afford....for example a 2mp pic, 1600x1200 and I would like to print it to A2 size, which is 23.38"x16.54". Then my print best resolution will be about 1200/16.54"=72dpi.

If I would like to have better resolution then 72dpi (say I like to have 100dpi), how do I go about doing it?

Thanks.

Thanks ziploc. I will try it out. But how different is it to use a fractal program compares to using CS2 to resize the pixel count? Thanks!

Hi lastboltnut,

I don't quite understand your question and what you mean by <100dpi file. A digital picture has no associated dpi, only resolution, until it is presented on a media (e.g. screen, print, etc). Anyway, I assume what you want to do is to print a low resolution pic into large format. In this case, you might want to consider using fractal programs to upsize your picture, e.g. Genuine Fractals 5. Fractals upsizing is usually much better then interpolation like bicubic etc.

Cheers.

For comparison you can take a look at the sample on GF site. There is also an article by Ken Rockwell on GF:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/gf.htm

Of couse you won't be able to generate the details that are not there in the original pic, but at least your enlarged pic won't be pixelated.

:thumbsup: Yah, I understand that lost signal is lost forever, just hope to reduce the pixelation.

Thanks ziploc.

For comparison you can take a look at the sample on GF site. There is also an article by Ken Rockwell on GF:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/gf.htm

Of couse you won't be able to generate the details that are not there in the original pic, but at least your enlarged pic won't be pixelated.

or try step upsizing in Photoshop... increase the size of the image by 10&#37; each time until you hit the required size... remember to sharpen the image after finally hitting the final size, even with specialized upsizing programs...

Hi RBK, thanks for your tips. But can I say that I shouldn't use JPG for this method right? As every time I save a JPG, the quality derates...

or try step upsizing in Photoshop... increase the size of the image by 10% each time until you hit the required size... remember to sharpen the image after finally hitting the final size, even with specialized upsizing programs...

Never use JPEG if you want to do large format printing. I've printed from a RAW file from my 300D after converting it to a TIFF file with 300DPI for my school project before.

If you shot in RAW you can convert the image to TIFF format with 300DPI or convert it to a PDF with 300DPI for printing. Always follow the aspect ratio whenever possible. Don't over stretch the image just to fit on the media.

Do note, the colour you see may not be accurate (depending on how your PS environment). We're talking about LF printers here, they use a different colour space.

Do correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks angel. Anyway my monitor is not calibrated, so even if I use the correct colour space, it doesnt help:(

Never use JPEG if you want to do large format printing. I've printed from a RAW file from my 300D after converting it to a TIFF file with 300DPI for my school project before.

If you shot in RAW you can convert the image to TIFF format with 300DPI or convert it to a PDF with 300DPI for printing. Always follow the aspect ratio whenever possible. Don't over stretch the image just to fit on the media.

Do note, the colour you see may not be accurate (depending on how your PS environment). We're talking about LF printers here, they use a different colour space.

Do correct me if i'm wrong.

i have this idea. whjat if u print your picture out with the maximum size the pixel can take . liek say A4./ then do a hi res scan. then send the printed iamge for large format?

I tried that, quite noisy leh....or may be my scanner is not a high end model. Anyone has tried with good results?

i have this idea. whjat if u print your picture out with the maximum size the pixel can take . liek say A4./ then do a hi res scan. then send the printed iamge for large format?

print the pics out at its best and use a 10 megapixel cam to take the pics in an even lighting condition..

you will not get more resolution by scanning or taking a photo of the print... for the simple reason that there is not more resolution to be had... what you get would be similar to if you upsize in your computer... if it were really so simple we won't need high res sensors anymore...

or try step upsizing in Photoshop... increase the size of the image by 10% each time until you hit the required size... remember to sharpen the image after finally hitting the final size, even with specialized upsizing programs...

I agree with theRBK. His method is similar to what i would employ, except with 1 difference - i will do a little sharpening with every 10% of resizing, instead of 1 sharpening at the end of the final file size. Dont overdo the sharpening though.
It is a lot more work, and make sure your PC is competent enough to handle it, it can get quite intensive! ;p

I agree with your workflow.

increase in steps of 10&#37;, sharpen if you feel like it. haha.

but pretty cpu intensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.