best way to clean MRC multicoated filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

audibum

Oct 23, 2006
east
keeps smudging and im afraid to rub too hard to remove the coating.

any ideas?

tks

Blow the dust using air blower. Use microfiber cloth to wipe the filter.

Regards,
Arto.

Stop touching your filter with your fingers :p

To date, other than blowing the dust away, I've only had to clean away smudges twice. And it wasn't my fingers that touched it to begin with. Sigh.Children and their curiosity.

Blow the dust using air blower. Use microfiber cloth to wipe the filter.

Regards,
Arto.

thats exactly what i did n smudged still. used lenspen an still not perfectly clear. sux!

As smudges tend to be oily and difficult to clean with tissue, microfibre or lenspen, I use a little dishwashing liquid and then wash it under running water and drip dry it. Must admit I never seen such a clean filter before!

As smudges tend to be oily and difficult to clean with tissue, microfibre or lenspen, I use a little dishwashing liquid and then wash it under running water and drip dry it. Must admit I never seen such a clean filter before!
If only I could do that my sensor... LOL!!

I do that to my B+W filters too! It works!

Usually I blow the dust first and then check and decide whether I need to use my lens paper with the cleaning solutions or just breathe over it and wipe it with my microfiber cloth..

If only I could do that my sensor... LOL!!

I do that to my B+W filters too! It works!
Even the fingerprint I use only microfiber cloth and it work for me since the MRC coating is superb and smooth.

Regards,
Arto.

if it doesn't affect my image quality, i leave it alone.

keeps smudging and im afraid to rub too hard to remove the coating.

any ideas?

tks

Not about cleaning filters but it might help you.

http://www.zeiss.com/C1256D18002CC306/0/1205E8CBD68054EAC125701500404705/$file/46-0009_e.pdf

This might help too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_details/103-9416951-7333424?ie=UTF8&seller=

If you are at home, perhaps Mama Lemon, neutral pH...:)

mama lemon is neutral pH? really? news to me, tks for the tip

To get the most thorough cleaning of the whole filter, put it in an ultrasonic bath with water and some isopropyl alcohol. Leave it in the bath for a few seconds, remove, then gently wipe dry with clean microfiber cloth. The only problem with cleaning it this way is that all the oil from the filter thread will be gone too, so you want to be careful not to over tighten it on the lens.

DO NOT do this with polarizing filter because the liquid gets between the 2 layers of glass and won't come out unless you take the filter apart.

The same small ultrasonic bath is typically used to clean spectacles and jeweleries.

mama lemon is neutral pH? really? news to me, tks for the tip

The Zeiss wipes are guaranteed to leave the multi-coating intact. Mama Lemon I'm not sure. I use my ultrasonic cleaner for my watches. For filters, I just wipe them.

Status
Not open for further replies.