best way to achieve macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

normanlai

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
hi, i have decided to either get nikon 6T, or do macro coupling for macro work.

camera ---> nikon 6T dual element ---> Tele Converter

camera ---> macro coupling.
just wondering, 50mm and 180mm lets say, is 180mm giving more distance to work?

also just wondering which gives better magnification, yet useable distance about 30CM min and MUST AF.(things like 3cm is unacceptable of coz). just for info sake, my camera is always at 380mm for macros.

thanks

normanlai said:
hi, i have decided to either get nikon 6T, or do macro coupling for macro work.

camera ---> nikon 6T dual element ---> Tele Converter

camera ---> macro coupling.
just wondering, 50mm and 180mm lets say, is 180mm giving more distance to work?

also just wondering which gives better magnification, yet useable distance about 30CM min and MUST AF.(things like 3cm is unacceptable of coz). just for info sake, my camera is always at 380mm for macros.

thanks

Ermm.. macro coupling means using a slr lens in reverse ? If it is.. I don't think you can focus very far like 30cm away.. (correct me if i am wrong)... and also you going to reverse a 180mm lens ? a 50mm will cost $150 but a 180mm will cost you > $1k...

majere2sg said:
Ermm.. macro coupling means using a slr lens in reverse ? If it is.. I don't think you can focus very far like 30cm away.. (correct me if i am wrong)... and also you going to reverse a 180mm lens ? a 50mm will cost $150 but a 180mm will cost you > $1k...

i see. yes, wad u thought is wad i meant.

if i can't get a proper distance, then probably get the 6t.

erm, i strongly don't recommend you reverse the 180mm. After looking at my own and trying it reverse, I see that the image is NOT round, and any picture i take with this setup will also include a substantial amount of the lens interior. Reversing a 50mm is a better option. Working distance at rough estimate is less than 10cm. I've never heard of anybody with a prosumer digicam trying to reverse a 50mm before and preserving af but I guess you can try.

I would strongly recommend you go the diopter route instead.

justarius said:
erm, i strongly don't recommend you reverse the 180mm. After looking at my own and trying it reverse, I see that the image is NOT round, and any picture i take with this setup will also include a substantial amount of the lens interior. Reversing a 50mm is a better option. Working distance at rough estimate is less than 10cm. I've never heard of anybody with a prosumer digicam trying to reverse a 50mm before and preserving af but I guess you can try.

I would strongly recommend you go the diopter route instead.

hmm, thanks. i'm posting to buy the nikon 6T and Tcon 17. appreciate it if u know of anyone and direct em to my post.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=662419#post662419

Macro lens (actually, any lens) plus a 2 dollar magnifying glass....viola!

My advice for you is

camera ---> nikon 6T dual element or 250D will do a very good job. You will get good quality with about 1:1 magnification with a focusing distance of 20-30cm. I do not recommend you to use a tele converter as it will degrade the image quality.

To use a reversed lens, the wider angle lens will give bigger magnification
e.g. a reversed 35mm lens will give bigger magnification than a reversed 50mm
and big aperture (fast lens) will prevent vignetting. However I do not recommend you to use reversed lens on a digital camera due to shallow DOF even at f8.

To take macro shots using a closeup/macro lens (6T or 500D), it does not matter you use AF or MF. Eventually you will need to move or position your camera setup to focus the object (about 20-30cm). Having better (> 1:1) magnification does not mean you can produce good macro shots as you may only get soft quality shots. This is due to the limitation of prosumer digial camera (shallow DOF). So far a good macro setup is to use a dedicate macro lens ( SLR ) and able to achieve good DOF. See below for sample.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/97782

Someone took the dragonfly eye shot with a EF 65mm macro.

i get the idea.

just to ask, is there something that attach to my camera which function like a MACRO add on lens? there's tele conversion, so i thought y not have Macro too? perhaps tats better instead of diopter/reversing.

thanks

normanlai said:
i get the idea.

just to ask, is there something that attach to my camera which function like a MACRO add on lens? there's tele conversion, so i thought y not have Macro too? perhaps tats better instead of diopter/reversing.

thanks

A diopter is a macro add on lens (sort of). I doubt you'll get better quality add-on lens or whatever which can significantly beat the diopters already mentioned here in quality, but anyway, such macro add on lens do exist for digicams.

Status
Not open for further replies.