Best waterproof PnS..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
What is the current recommended model? I am looking for waterproof-ness over features.

activities may include snorkeling, scuba and kayaks.

considering Pentax W60 amd Olympus 1050..

Last edited:
if you are going scuba diving, do note that olympus 1050sw is only waterproof up to 10 feet, and the w60 is waterproof up to 13 feet. in most cases, scuba diving will require you to go much deeper and such cameras may not be suitable

For PnS you'll have the standard casing from the manufacturer, usually waterproof up to 40m (e.g. those from Canon). For DSLR there are two 3rd party providers. Have a look at the Underwater section here.

if you are going scuba diving, do note that olympus 1050sw is only waterproof up to 10 feet, and the w60 is waterproof up to 13 feet. in most cases, scuba diving will require you to go much deeper and such cameras may not be suitable
noted..thanks.

personally,if i were to do snorkling or kayaking,i'd probably go with the Olympus one,not because i'm a fan or anything,but i believe it's more durable,at least,that's the feeling i have from the 1040,though the 1050 looks pretty durable too,but the Pentax specs do seem a little bit more tempting,but still,i'd prefer durablity in this case,for diving,get the case,also,the 1050 has tap function,pretty neat feature,except probably when taking fish not really a good idea since sound travels better in water than in air

Ive just been shooting with a Olympus lately and after a little bit of work with contrast, cropping it has turned out great. I highly recommend the olympus for casual snap around the water, just be careful not to get sand in the seals.

For snorkeling and kayaks.... quite a few model from Olympus will do.... for Scuba, I think you could always get the Underwater Casing for the camera..... :thumbsup:

So for without casing use, as long not go deeper will work. How is Olympus support in SG due to water problems?

Olympus i guess, since they always throw their cameras into the water in their commercials when no others had done it??;p

how long can such cameras last in salt water?

If the casing leaks it's about seconds ;)
The question for me is: how to maintain the sealing / rubber rings inside? Dedicated casings have rubber rings that you need to grease with some silicone paste. I'd guess a brand-new camera will stand the salt water nicely. But what about a 2 year old one that has seen a lot of sun and UV? Will the sealing be good enough, still?

You don't have too worry much about the sealing two years down the road as I thin kyou'd be changing the camera already. I personally have had three pns and they normally last about two years before the pictures starts to become unacceptable :(

If during warranty and you have water damage they will replace or fix the camera.
That happened to me when the sand was caught in the seal, lucky the camera still had warranty. They replaced the insides and now is good as new!

it appears new models the Tough 6000 is coming out around the price point of the 1050SW. And for those who are just looking for the waterproof but no image stabilization, there is a budget US$199 called the 550WP.

SRP
550WP $199
6000 $299
8000 $399

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3839

will do some more checking to see what most users think when up against Pentax offerings.

Last edited:
If the casing leaks it's about seconds ;)
The question for me is: how to maintain the sealing / rubber rings inside? Dedicated casings have rubber rings that you need to grease with some silicone paste. I'd guess a brand-new camera will stand the salt water nicely. But what about a 2 year old one that has seen a lot of sun and UV? Will the sealing be good enough, still?

Good question..... :thumbsup:

I could even change the 'O' Ring of my U/W casing every 2 years to solve this problem.... but could you send your 'Waterproof' camera for this type of servicing at OLY servicing centre ?? :think:

Have you look at Sanyo Xacti DMX-CA8 ?
It has 8 megapixel CMOS sensor for stills and MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video recordings
at 60fps to SDHC media.
Was lookin for one too. Price from < $350 at SLS.

DMX-WH1 records 720p HD quality movies and waterproof too (latest product from sanyo)
click here

Status
Not open for further replies.