Best value for money P&S Camera to buy (< $600)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kengar

Dec 16, 2002
Visit site
Hi guys.. i havent been in touch with the camera industry since the last purchase of Canon A70 3 years ago.. would appreciate if any could provide me with their suggestions .. THKS!!!

Panasonic Lumix series.....

needless to say,
the so far by critics and comments from everyone or everyone is
Fujifilm's F30
great camera in low light and great noise control...
and it's within your $600 budget
no worry, no sweat and no regret getting this camera :)
though it has no Optical Image Stabiliser (OIS) when compared to a lot of PnS cameras,
but you'll be fascinated by the great picture you take, u can refer to Fujifilm's thread and have a look at it by yourself, seeing is believing :)

I am now tied between Canon A710 IS Vs Fuji F31 / 30...

Likes of A710 IS - SD Card, AA-sized Batteries, Optical Stablilizer, 6X Optical Zoom

Like of F31 / 30 - Good images at low lighting (the only feature i like)

The superb strength of F31 / 30 is now the biggest draw to me.. otherwise, its other weaknesses are found in the strengths of A710.

If say for low lighting shots, i set A710 at slower shutter speed, and turn on the Optical Stablilizer, would this produce great shots like the F31 / 30? :think:

Likes of A710 IS - SD Card, AA-sized Batteries, Optical Stablilizer, 6X Optical Zoom

The superb strength of F31 / 30 is now the biggest draw to me.. otherwise, its other weaknesses are found in the strengths of A710.

If say for low lighting shots, i set A710 at slower shutter speed, and turn on the Optical Stablilizer, would this produce great shots like the F31 / 30? :think:

i think your heart still prefer a Canon. So just follow it, since at the end of the day, you are the one stuck with the item,

People shots - F30. If background is more important - go A710.

Depending on your subject - if it is a static object then both cam will give same result; if it is a moving object, then A710 at slow shuttle speed+IS will give a blur image of the object (but background clear) while F30 at high ISO+high shuttle speed will still capture sharp image.

i would go for the canon a710IS for the IS which is useful when using the long zoom, SD card, and AA batteries.

also, i've read reviews about the Fuji F series blowing highlights in favour of shadows. is this true? the 'reason' was given as the F30 being sort of optimised for indoor shooting. not too sure about that.

Hi guys.. i havent been in touch with the camera industry since the last purchase of Canon A70 3 years ago.. would appreciate if any could provide me with their suggestions .. THKS!!!

Was in yr shoes few weeks ago before i go for the F30.:thumbsup: Simply love it. I lend to my colleague who also bought the same model a day after.:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

hmmm.. haha. i got an A75 3 years ago too. until it went kaput this year..

got a A700 and found it excellent, albeit for slow flash recycle time and its ability to eat up batteries. haha. i got it before the A710 IS came out. sigh.

if you enjoy using a canon, then i think the A710 IS is for you. otherwise the F30's quite good as well..

wat about the S3 IS? that one can get at around $650 now? or is it still higher than that price

Sorry to deviate a little bit. Went to 3:16 to research a bit on my choice of DSLR (D40 vs D50) this evening and met this guys who gave me very good advice. To cut a long story short, the question raised to my mind is whether to get a good PnS camera ($800-$900) or a cheap DSLR (D40 at $1k).

I was shown the Canon G7 which really looks impressive. It's got all the features of a standard SLR (Aperture and speed priority, slot to mount an external flash, 6X zoom which is equivalent to 35-200mm and adjustable ISO levels) except the changeable lens and different look. And the design has that classic look which is real nice and the external is some kind of aluminium rather than the 'plasticky' ones you see in most SLRs now.

So to stretch the budget set by Kenbgar a bit to $800-$900, what are the other options available? Anybody got comments about the G7?

PS - To the nice guy I met, if you happen to see this message, sorry I did not catch your name, but real nice and very fruitful talking to you. Thanks!

Sorry to deviate a little bit. Went to 3:16 to research a bit on my choice of DSLR (D40 vs D50) this evening and met this guys who gave me very good advice. To cut a long story short, the question raised to my mind is whether to get a good PnS camera ($800-$900) or a cheap DSLR (D40 at $1k).

I was shown the Canon G7 which really looks impressive. It's got all the features of a standard SLR (Aperture and speed priority, slot to mount an external flash, 6X zoom which is equivalent to 35-200mm and adjustable ISO levels) except the changeable lens and different look. And the design has that classic look which is real nice and the external is some kind of aluminium rather than the 'plasticky' ones you see in most SLRs now.

So to stretch the budget set by Kenbgar a bit to $800-$900, what are the other options available? Anybody got comments about the G7?

PS - To the nice guy I met, if you happen to see this message, sorry I did not catch your name, but real nice and very fruitful talking to you. Thanks!

those "plasticky" dSLR you said are strong than enough to survive most torture. yes, no doubt now PnS have close to dSLR function, but their noise control are no where close. and having a dSLR give you the option to use different lens in different situation. :thumbsup:

Just do a little comparison on the size of the sensor and you'll probably see a clear winner.

F31...with face detection...also within $600

Status
Not open for further replies.