Best UV Filter if $ is no object

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi guys,

Anyone knows what the best UV filter is if $$ is not an object? Looking to get a good UV filter 77mm.

The Hoya HMC that I have is quite bad, each time there's an accidental oil stain on it, it takes AGES before it can be wiped off. The more you wipe, the oilier it gets.

Nikon L37C mm - UV filter
Nikon NC77 mm - Neutral colour filter

If you shoot digitally exclusively, get the NC, I highly recommend it, let me know if you want to see the filter.

Thanks ESPN - as always, the first to volunteer information :)

THe NC is better than the UV if shooting digitally? whats the advantage?

And...can I ask how much $$$ is the NC and UV? :p :p

espn said:
If you shoot digitally exclusively, get the NC, I highly recommend it, let me know if you want to see the filter.

How much it cost? Where can I get from? Any indicative price for 67mm?

NC is highly coated, it's almost clear see through, no tint nothing :) easy to clean also.

L37C is a UV coated filter, meant to filter UV rays for film bodies. Clear see through but one of the best I can find around with no tint.

B+W has a silght reddish tint. Hoya is totally CMI (and no, I don't care what you folks say).

L37C 77mm - $115 (CP)
NC77 77mm - S$120 (I think)

B+W UV Haze 010 (MRC) :thumbsup:

Very nice multi-coating and solid construction.

then guess its time for a NC77 for me when I next pop by that area :)

So you're saying that UV rays no need to be filtered out for digital bodies?

espn said:
NC is highly coated, it's almost clear see through, no tint nothing :) easy to clean also.

L37C is a UV coated filter, meant to filter UV rays for film bodies. Clear see through but one of the best I can find around with no tint.

B+W has a silght reddish tint. Hoya is totally CMI (and no, I don't care what you folks say).

L37C 77mm - $115 (CP)
NC77 77mm - S$120 (I think)

Yep... sensors aren't affected by UV lightings. The UV in the light will cause hazy images to the film bodies, but AFAIK, digital bodies aren't affected. :)

I use the NC when I use the glass on digital bodies, else I use L37C when I shoot film. :)

espn said:

Er...what is CMI? i bought a Hoya HMC...

cheersjy said:
Er...what is CMI? i bought a Hoya HMC...

Same here, what is CMI?? even if it is rude, spit it out. I'm ok, I can take it. :bsmilie:

Went to Peninsula & Funan during lunch and seems like no body selling NC77? :dunno: CP and John 3:16 only selling L37C but currently out of stock! Any other place to recommend?

Optical quality wise i think the Nikon is the best.

However based on my 'not too long' experience with both filters, B+W MRC seen to be more scratch resistant than Nikon L37C. It is also seen to be easier to clean than the Nikon.

how different are the 'haze' filters from the normal UV ones?

Too me, all UV filters are the same. I usually buy the cheapest one. When it is all dirty, just clean it. If is scratched beyond service, change it.

I prefer to invest my money elsewhere.

photobum said:
Too me, all UV filters are the same. I usually buy the cheapest one. When it is all dirty, just clean it. If is scratched beyond service, change it.

I prefer to invest my money elsewhere.

Not so simple if you are using the filter to take better photos. Flare from a poor quality filter can mess up the photo.

Flare? Okay, I got really lucky. I have about 4,000 slides at home taken through a US$10 Kenko UV filter. None of them have flare.

Status
Not open for further replies.