Best use of EV

eejal

Deregistered
May 4, 2005
End of the Line
Hi,

in what ways do we make full use and the best of EV? I seem to increase ISO instead of fiddling with the EV cuz i'm not sure how to use it properly. can anyone advice me please? many thanks

EV is the exposure value, I suppose you are actually referring to exposure compensation?

EV is the exposure value, I suppose you are actually referring to exposure compensation?

:embrass:

yes yes....pardon me for my noob question. actually referring to exposure compensation. like how do we gauge if we need to use the +/-?

t.i.a

basically ev is the result of combination of iso, shutter speed and aperture. when you see your shoot underexposed in your lcd, you can increase your expossure to get what you wanted and vice versa. hope it help :)

When in Auto, Program, Aperture, Speed Mode.

The EV button allows your to quickly underexpose (darken) or overexpose (brighten) your image.

When you play with the EV button, what you’re doing is telling the camera to either brighten or darken the photo from the optimal exposure it perceives.

Hi,

in what ways do we make full use and the best of EV? I seem to increase ISO instead of fiddling with the EV cuz i'm not sure how to use it properly. can anyone advice me please? many thanks

yes yes....pardon me for my noob question. actually referring to exposure compensation. like how do we gauge if we need to use the +/-?

t.i.a
Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

first you need to understand what is exposure,

second, you need to understand how camera meter works,

you can find all you need to know in this book.

f_exposure.jpg

t.i.a

Generally speaking, your camera will meter and recommend a combination of Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO. However, when the picture you get is too dark/bright, EV compensation allows you to quickly adjust (compensate) for it. Again generally,

If in Aperture mode, EV compensation will be done by adjusting shutter speed (and maybe, ISO)
If in Shutter mode, EV compensation will be done by adjusting aperture (and maybe, ISO)

Exact details refer to your manual.

Usually useful for matrix and center-weighted metering. I find spot meter not very practical unless you (somehow) can aim at the same exact spot for the same recommended reading every time, otherwise might as well do manual mode which is faster.
:)

Hi, just like to know is there a difference between

1) Increasing/decreasing EV
2) Increase/Reduce Aperture Value

Look to me if I need higher exposure, I could always reduce the aperture value & vice versa ?

Thanks.

Look to me if I need higher exposure, I could always reduce the aperture value & vice versa ?

Can be the same, can be different things - depending on the camera settings and mode.
EV compensation is generic, certain cameras will apply certain steps in order to achieve this. Possible options: change shutter speed, change ISO speed, change aperture - or a mixture of all. All will result in EV change. Dial your cam to P mode, change EV and watch what the camera is doing. Change to landscape or portrait and changing EV might look different.
But if you look at the very basics of photography you will notice the side effects of each step: aperture changes DOF, higher ISO can increase noise, slower shutter speed can result in motion blur. Up to you to assess the situation and decide which step is appropriate and which not.

Thanks.

EV (Exposure Value) is a result of Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO. For the same EV, you can vary the various combinations of the three factors. You increase/decrease EV by changing the 3 factors.

Aperture Value is just one of the factors contributing to the final EV. How you vary the Aperture Value depends on the mode (Aperture, Shutter or manual) you are in. See my post above.

Thanks.

As discussed above, you make a photo look the way you like by controlling Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO.. when/if you shoot Manual

However, When you use modes eg. like Aperture-priority; meaning you set the aperture & the cam will auto-set the shutter speed(which you can vary by changing the ISO)..

What it is doing is trying to give you a 'PLEASING' well-lit photo.
HOWEVER, that may not be what you desire in eg.a moody dim-lit alley!
And thats when you dial in -ev to bring the whole exposure down...
Thats one use..

hope it helps..

Last edited: