Best travelling tripod for beginners?

earllevin

May 9, 2013
USA
I want to buy a small, portable tripod that is lightweight but have no idea on brand reliability or where to start looking? Any few good suggestions?

I want to buy a small, portable tripod that is lightweight but have no idea on brand reliability or where to start looking? Any few good suggestions?

travel and small? sirui 005? (cant remember the model). can head down to tk to hands on

You need to consider the weight of your intended setup, which explains Francis247's question.

Off-hand, Sirui tripods are popular in Singapore for a good reason - they're good value for money and of decent quality. Plus you can try them in TK Foto being making the buy.

By the way, how light is light for you?

You may consider reading these guides here, and state a bit more of your requirements, including maximum/minimum height, what you intend to use the tripod for, etc:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/630171-newbies-guide-tripods-i.html
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/others/384016-basic-guidelines-selection-tripod-tripod-head.html

There's so many tripods in the market... There is no one perfect tripod, but there will always be a tripod to meet your considerations closely for sure.

Last edited:
You need to consider the weight of your intended setup, which explains Francis247's question.

Off-hand, Sirui tripods are popular in Singapore for a good reason - they're good value for money and of decent quality. Plus you can try them in TK Foto being making the buy.

By the way, how light is light for you?

You may consider reading these guides here, and state a bit more of your requirements, including maximum/minimum height, what you intend to use the tripod for, etc:

There's so many tripods in the market... There is no one perfect tripod, but there will always be a tripod to meet your considerations closely for sure.

Right I should have checked those threads out first. But Thanks guys for the advice on the Sirui!

Do consider future upgrade as well.
Otherwise the tripod you get now will be useless for future.

Probably most people here will recommend Sirui tripods. Carbon fibre ones if you have a little extra $$$.

Suggest that thread starter consider carbon fiber tripod. Brand of tripod would probably be Sirui. Carbon fiber has the advantage of being lighter and does not give you "cold burn" unlike metal tripod, when used in cold climate.

Just to point out that unless you are travelling to really cold countries (i.e. sub zero) you would not get "cold burn".

TS, i am using a sony NEX camera system.

I have 2 travel tripods, one a VELBON Ultra Maxi L, Velbon Ultra Maxi-L Tripod w/ PHD-31Q 3-Way Pan/Tilt ULTRA MAXI
and a BENRO A0350QT, MeFOTO Travel Tripod Kit - Titanium A0350Q0T
The velbon extends to a maximum height of 152.5cm, has a folded height of 36cm (fits into my sling pouch easily), and weights only 0.99kg, can support up to 1.5/2kg (depending on which website advise).
The benro extends to a maximum height of 130cm (115cm if don't raise centre column), has a folded height of 32cm, weights 1.2kg, and can support up to 4kg

The benro is much more rugged feel and more stable than the Velbon (not that velbon isn't stable. difference is prob due to max height and less telescopic legs and yet heavier).
both are aluminium alloy, lightweight, and meets my use for NEX system. (have used a canon FD 400mm with this before) if you're using a heavier DSLR, the velbon may not be suitable, but prob the benro will do the job unless you're going long lens

i travel alot, mainly due to work, and bring my gear along as a hobby. works perfect, most stuff can fit into my travel sling bag(its really very small, perhaps 25 by 25cm and 12cm thick max),esp the velbon (do note i cannot zip fully with velbon in bag, never tried the benro in my travel sling bag though, it'll probably fit but the additional 200g and slightly harder to deploy puts me off) , , of cos no fanciful lenses when travelling.

I intend to get a medium CF tripod (with height around 130-150 without centre column extension), but even that would not replace above 2 tripods for its compactness and weight. CF may be strong and light, but i dont believe the dimensions would meet above if you're really looking for something light and compact to throw into your sling bag.

hope that helps. :)

I want to buy a small, portable tripod that is lightweight but have no idea on brand reliability or where to start looking? Any few good suggestio

Probably most people here will recommend Sirui tripods. Carbon fibre ones if you have a little extra $$$.

Also here, I will recommend the carbon fibre. If you can really afford it, just go with it because it is so wonderful to use.