best time to go chinese garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

maganda

Aug 31, 2009
hi i'm a newbie and i haven't tried to do a photoshoot in a "public area", i'm hinking of chinese garden, what do you think is the best day and time to go there? preferably without too many people staring at me and my dslr, because i am shy and i will jest get conscious and lose my focus if people keep on staring at me while i shoot because i am no PRO. thanks

There are not many people there anyway, and since half of Singapore has a DSLR and almost nobody is a pro, you're not going to get any stares. Weekday mornings/evenings is good.

DSLR *doies not* mean "Pro".

Hi, adding to what Rashkae said, the only time I look at other photogs outside is 1) to see what gear they have 2) if they are shooting a wedding, cos wedding shots are cool 3) if they wanna be in a group shot and ask me to help them take a picture and i get to use their pro-er cameras (which happened once :D)

On a more serious note, its more impt to pick the time of the day when
1) the thing you wanna photograph is there (eg, birds)(but doesnt matter if you just taking landscape)
2) the lighting best suits your needs (do you need bright/soft/orange-y light? do you want shadows in your picture? do you want reflections? etc)
3) you know you can be comfortable and can take your time to compose each shot well, and not go there and just snap away quickly so you can run back to the shade

so, for generic landscape/macro shots, perhaps mornings or evenings are best, but not because there are few people there.

Just bring one more friend maganda or not maganda, its better if you have a model to practice on. guapo also can?

Just bring one more friend maganda or not maganda, its better if you have a model to practice on. guapo also can?

seksi at maskulado also

best time to go is anytime before 9am or after 4.30pm, where the lights come from slightly lower altitude, it gives better lighting on the scene, and not too hot too, however, this is also the timing where people usually like to visit the parks.

don't worry too much about others, you are enjoying your hobby and doing nothing wrong, just a little too shy maybe. anyway, for a girl try not to go to a area too deserted, this is for your own safety.

hope this help.

Hi, usually, no one will stare at you using a SLR camera as it is very common now. Unless you are doing too many "stunt" like proning on the floor, climb tree, etc.. I have been to Chinese Garden many times for photo shooting (to try out my camera and practice shooting, newbie also), no one will stare at you.

By the way, there are not many people there also during week day and on Sat. Avoid Sunday and public holiday, if you are shy, as there will be slightly more people there.

The landscape there is very nice and colourful. A good place to practice your photoshooting. Cheers..

You need to get used to those stares from the public. Just enjoy your shooting and get those shots done.

If you feel shy and miss those nice shots, then it may not come back again. I can understand for a start, everyone will feel uneasy but after more practices, you will be alright.

Chinese garden is a big area & try not to take shots when the sun is brightly shining high up above you i.e. a mid day. However, the timing to shoot will depends what you intend to shoot cause not all things look good during the same timing. You will know what I meant if you try to take a walk through the place and try spot for the things you wanna shoot, then ask yourself what kinda shot you want that particular scene to be.

Though Singapore is pretty safe in most places, its true that being a girl; you still need to extra careful when shooting at places that are more deserted. In fact even being a guy, we need to be more careful as well.

So its best to get at a friend or a shutter buddy along....

I'm new to dslr too. And people do stare when I whip out a dslr to shoot my kids. They stare so hard and long that when the dense me realise it and look at them to see what they are looking at, they still stare. Yes, me shy too, but for me, I tell myself I've to be thick-skinned for my kids' pictures.

Chinese Garden is quite deserted nowadays. To avoid harsh light, do go in the early morning or late afternoon. If you're a gal, do get someone else to go along.

actually anytime you can go there, just be wary about the sun. late noon will be fine specially when the sun is ready to set. you can go there around 4pm to stroll and find your spot. if you want we can go together during weekends ;)....dont mind the people staring at you in such places, theyre just envious because most of them realize that chinese garden is a good spot to start learning photography.:D

Don't forget to give the Japanese Gardens next door a go too, while you are there at the Chinese Garden.
Oh yah... and while you are at the Chinese Gardens, don't worry about paying $5 to enter the tortoise centre (or something named to that effect) because there really is quite a lot of interesting toitoises and turtles there. I found that place very unique.

Last edited:
dun worry about the stares, there are just too many ppl carrying dslr around in the garden, i'm not pro either, but just enjoy your hooby lar... :)

i'm staying near Chinese garden, they have put up many lanterns (diff colors) in the garden now, which will be lighted up from 7pm onwards to around 10pm. u can go there at 4++pm to find nice spots.

sunset in the garden can be quite beautiful also, ppl will usually shoot near the lake.

good luck and happy shooting!

I was just staring at 2 groups of people yesterday with tekong tripot & cam paiseh...paiseh.... just curious of their equipment :) Usually i see few individual ones but not 2 groups of 5-8 people. I think they might be birding group.

I was just staring at 2 groups of people yesterday with tekong tripot & cam paiseh...paiseh.... just curious of their equipment :) Usually i see few individual ones but not 2 groups of 5-8 people. I think they might be birding group.

yea man.. i was there also yesterday, saw a super long and big lens + monopod.. that's why no need to feel shy with our dslr with kit lens, there are more pros out there... :bsmilie:

Agree! best time to go there around 430PM, I've been there for quite some time.. :D

agree also.. 4-430pm is best time..

i think morning is also a good time to go there. but a bit lazy for me to wake up :eek:

See, everyone telling you not to be shy.... Chinese Garden was the first place I went to when I bought my DSLR. I was shy too at that time....even when whipping out the camera from my bag, I look around to see if someone watching, and especially when you meet ppl carrying longer lens, bigger flash...:). But once you get started and focus on shooting, you don't even care or aware if someone watching.

And if you meet someone carrying a PnS camera, you can walk pass them proudly....:bsmilie:

So don't worry, just enjoy shooting.

Chinese garden small red lanterns are lighted up on the bridge, pagoda, trees, many places.

Just pass by while on the way home.

And if you meet someone carrying a PnS camera, you can walk pass them proudly....
I'd be more proud if my shots are waaaaay better than theirs :)

hi guys thanks for all your replies, tips and ENCOURAGEMENT! i was there last saturday and yeah i was a bit hesitant to take out my dslr with KIT LENS and there were a few people also doing their photography. also saw this guy with HUGE llens, i tried not to get near him HAHAHA!! but it was fun and i might go back again this weekend :) anyway, just want to share a few shots i took, http://learnlivelove.aminus3.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.