Best SLR Camera for Beginners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SexyLeeAnn

Feb 2, 2004
Hi guys,

I am intending to buy a SLR and a Twin Lens Reflex for myself to practice my techniques.

Can someone educate me on the best SLR camera for beginners and the best Twin Lens Reflex (Rollei...) in the market for beginners?

I am going to buy the whole package with additional lens and etc... so this is a serious investment.

Please enlighten me on this.

I have absolutely no idea of which SLR model I should get. Needless to say of the Twin Lens Reflex.

I am doing my research now.

Please give me ur reccomendations.

Thanx!

Yours truly,
SexyLeeAnn

"Best" in terms of what? :dunno:

every camera had it pro and cons.... so how...

Maybe your friends around you can help. Do they shoot with canon / nikon / minolta?

try their slr and see if you like or not. Think of it as an investment into a SYSTEM, not a single SLR Body. than can even exchange gears with your friends using the same system to try out :)

Happy trying / shooting.

Since you're prepared to handle a TLR, a fully manual SLR should be a piece of cake? Nikon FE, FM series are great for technique learning. I'm not so sure about other brands though.

My advice is think big. What I mean is think of your purchase in term of the system you would likely to stick to in future. I have invest more seven different system before knocking on my head why didn't I stick to one system.
It might be nikon or canon or pentax or minotla do your research and try them out in camera shop or burrow from friends. Different brand may offer different thing. I also think TLR is a great way to start. Good Luck and Merry
Christmas

Pleas tell us you definition of best SLR (35mm?) in term of what: Simplicity? Complexity? Or what?

Why you need two systems? Why you need a TLR(120)?

Since you say this a serious investment, you need to do more research before you buy anything.

Anyway, most of the photographers I knew (Professional), only purchase the necessary items to start work, and build the system along the way, beside you don’t need the whole system, just buy what you need, not what you want, unless you want to be a collector.

Instead of a Rollei TLR, why don’t consider a Hasselblad Medium Format SLR? A used 500CM is not that expansive also and the system is more practical than a TLR.

Hope this help.

Um... best SLR?

Okay... I am looking for manual functions and auto functions together, so I can have a play with both...

I am looking for durability, one that i can bring overseas and still will not break... and flexibility, which means i can find parts overseas...easily.

I have some brands in mind... Nikon and Canon...

My brother has a Pentax.. which is not what I fancy...

My budget is about $500 - $1000, I am looking for the full set...
mainly, the body, additional lens (long and wide-angle), tripod, flash, camera bag, dry box... and stuff like that.

The Twin Lens Reflex... is one beautiful machine... so I would like to get my hands on it to inject more variety and a sense of nostalgia in my life.

I am just starting... I already have a Panasonic Lumix FZ-10, so now I want to brush up my skills on apperture and shutter... meter readings and stuff...

U know from scratch. I would like to invest in one camera that allows me to produce quality photos and I don't have to upgrade it in the next 3-5 years to come...

These are what I am looking for.

Please help me...

Yours truly,
SexyLeeAnn

how about a Nikon F55? film SLR, then you still got cash left for the other stuff you are shopping for.

Canon 300V
Nikon F80

Minolta and Pentax users might wanna add on to the list.

canon EOS 30

canon EF 24-85mm/f3.5-4.5 usm

SexyLeeAnn said:
My budget is about $500 - $1000, I am looking for the full set...
mainly, the body, additional lens (long and wide-angle), tripod, flash, camera bag, dry box... and stuff like that.

The Twin Lens Reflex... is one beautiful machine... so I would like to get my hands on it to inject more variety and a sense of nostalgia in my life.

Yours truly,
SexyLeeAnn

I am sorry. I hate myself for being the nasty guy to break your balloon, especially in a Christmas season!

With the budget you have in mind, I seriously doubt you can get a full manual cum autoeverything, yet strong (another term for professional quality - you are talking Nikon F5 or Canon 1V, something like that!) yet with two other lenses, and tripod, and flash, and bag, and dry box...... and a rollei TLR!

I think you have to moderate your expectations a little.

Perhaps with $2000.00 you just might be able to get a Rolleiflex TLR in good condition.

Good luck to you.

If I were you, I would just get a nikon or canon as suggested and either 50mm lens or a zoom lens, a bag, and a dry box. That is of course if you are talking film camera.

If you think digital, well that is another ball game!

a Rolleiflex in good condition cost ard $600+ onward.

Used FM2N or F80 ard $400

Used 35mm F2 ard $290 for AF $200 for manual

Used 105mm F2.5 ard $300

Used Rolleiflex ard $700

average Tripod $100

Flash $250

Easily over $2000+ for a whole set.

would suggest to get a 35mm body and a small zoom 1st and see where ur interest is b4 deciding on wad other lenses to get :cool:

Another vote for minolta's Dynax/Maxxum 5. My setup consist of:

Dynax 5 w/grip
50mm/1.7
28-70/2.8 (sigma)
70-210/4
3600HS flash

that's my whole setup, and it is enough for my needs. Know your needs, then get the system to fit it. The dynax kits nowadays can get for under 500 used, includes a 28-70 and a 70-300 i believe. And contrary to common belief, the kit 28-70/3.5-5.6 (?) produces very nice images.

I've also used Nikon N65 for a short stint, it's actually quite ok but it seems to drain batteries rather fast.

Alvin

Any Full Mechanical camera SLR that still allows the lens to be use on AF SLR & DSLR (more electronictries, but will have to do manual focusing).

On this, canon system fail very badly. Canon did not ensure continuity when plan when they design AF camera.

SLR - nikon F801, if you don't mind 2nd hand.

built like a tank and built to last. uses AA batteries, so they can be bought anywhere. will take all AF and AF-D lenses and manual lenses. has manual and auto focus, full auto, program and maual modes.

bodies go for as low as $200.

TLR - lomo lubitel 166U, it's got a plastic body, a decent lens, is fully manual and can take decent pictures if you know it's limitations. a good starter and learner. comes cheap at $80 a pop.

both will grow along with you skills. well, maybe not the lubitel.

Status
Not open for further replies.