Best Semi-Pro camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'd like to get a semi pro camera, preferably one that can be used with an external flash.

What would ya'll recommend..
I did some digging on d net, but i really cant decide..
I need some 'hands-on experience' review.

how about canon sx10is or nikon p6000 ?

how about second hand 300D/350D/400D with 18-55 IS?

add a 55-250mm in future//

Actually what is in your mind.If you like that brand,go for it.Need not to ask everyone here.Like that you'll get more confuse.

how abt LX3? ;)

Sigma DP2, I am dying to get my hands on this one.

well what will you be doing with the camera 90% of the time?

Well..
to take pictures of friends(portrait), landscapes, and follow my bf go take photos of macro n such.
He insisted me to get a dslr but i just hate the weight and hassle to bring it around.
then he told me to go research on my own.. :S

so yea, i need some advices from ppl who really own a semi pro camera.
Which one is the best for landscape, portraiture, and macro. all in 1..

saw in macro section, many using canon sx10is..
what are the pros n cons of this camera hands on ?

also, the nikon p6000

I would say if you looking for semi pro, you need to decide what sort of shots you will be getting into.

the LX3 has manual features and allows creativity but has very short zoom, so its good for a limited range of shots. has hotshoe for external flashes.

Canon has a few semi-pro cameras, notably the G10 for its feature sets, great lens and useful focal range. Has good quality and is a good camera that sits very comfortably between a compact and DSLR. I own a G7 before i got my DSLR and it shorten my learning curve to manual controls. Has hotshoe for use with the Canon speedlite ranges of flashes, 270EX, 430EX, 580EX, etc etc.

Fujifilm,Nikon has a few ranges as well.

honestly each camera has probably a strong set for a certain type of photography. you need to discern for yourself what sort of photography you are likely to be taking more...then pick the camera best suited for it.

good luck shopping, its the best part.

I would say if you looking for semi pro, you need to decide what sort of shots you will be getting into.

the LX3 has manual features and allows creativity but has very short zoom, so its good for a limited range of shots. has hotshoe for external flashes.

Canon has a few semi-pro cameras, notably the G10 for its feature sets, great lens and useful focal range. Has good quality and is a good camera that sits very comfortably between a compact and DSLR. I own a G7 before i got my DSLR and it shorten my learning curve to manual controls. Has hotshoe for use with the Canon speedlite ranges of flashes, 270EX, 430EX, 580EX, etc etc.

Fujifilm,Nikon has a few ranges as well.

honestly each camera has probably a strong set for a certain type of photography. you need to discern for yourself what sort of photography you are likely to be taking more...then pick the camera best suited for it.

good luck shopping, its the best part.

Thanks for the help.. after looking at the review of the sigma.. only 1 focal length.. :sweat: NONONO!

G10 sounds good.. read the review.. good camera..
But can i be creative with it.. as u said with the LX3... ??
Cause i'd like to have manual controls too, to get creative in taking pictures..
if can control shutter speed and aperture, would be great..
can take night shots ! :)

If you're going into macros with a prosumer, it'd be better if you have one with long zoom, then you have to add on close-up filters like the Raynox DCR-250. That way, you can have pretty good magnification. Since you said you didn't want the weight of a dSLR, I guess the Lumix FZ range is out. TZ range is compact but has no manual functions. So I'd go for Canon's S5IS? Not very sure about the SX10IS. Haven't been looking at prosumers for quite some time.

Actually, a small dSLR isn't that much heavier than a good prosumer. Just slightly bulkier.

the G10 has more manual features and lots more than the LX3. It only loses out really in the speed of the len.the constant F2 lense on the LX3 is amazing, but how often do you use F2.

thanks all for the feedbacks..
After much read ups and research...
I think the best that suits me is the
Canon sx10is..

Any sx10is users here care to share the pros and cons ?
for macro, portrait, and landscape...
whats its flaws?

I must said I did not against Nikon, but a very friendly sales person from a reputable shop actually ask me to avoid Nikon compact. Initially I wanted to get p80...

He recommend me G9.

At the end of the day, I bought a SX10IS from another shop. Sold it and upgraded to DSLR...
I use SX10IS because I want to use Canon. Now you will see, somehow is the brand you like, somehow in your mind you might already have the model you want.

However, I must said Panasonic got some very good prosumer (aka semi pro) like DMC-FZ28 or others (couldn't remember) the spec is better then Canon with similar price. Larger aperture...

Check this out

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q109superzoomgroup/

I must said I did not against Nikon, but a very friendly sales person from a reputable shop actually ask me to avoid Nikon compact. Initially I wanted to get p80...

He recommend me G9.

At the end of the day, I bought a SX10IS from another shop. Sold it and upgraded to DSLR...
I use SX10IS because I want to use Canon. Now you will see, somehow is the brand you like, somehow in your mind you might already have the model you want.

However, I must said Panasonic got some very good prosumer (aka semi pro) like DMC-FZ28 or others (couldn't remember) the spec is better then Canon with similar price. Larger aperture...

Check this out

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q109superzoomgroup/

How does the SX10is work for you ?
Image wise..? Colours and sharpness at wide and zoom...?

How does the SX10is work for you ?
Image wise..? Colours and sharpness at wide and zoom...?

Like the handy and long zoom, on dslr cannot easily get this long zoom with the light weight

The focal length of 28 mm is quite ok, though some Nikon giving 27 or 26mm, and panasonic even got 24 mm iirc. I never own a decent wide angle camera (last time always use something like 36 or 40 mm), so like the focal length, allow me shoot the whole tall building

The aperture is something i feel lacking. At wide got 2.8, but when zoom, it start to stop down, means low light is poor. Anyway prosumer always can't as good as dslr in low light

The colour is fine for me. Like it. Sharpness is difficult to say, as this is depend on which cam you compare to .

Go flickr, you can see a lot sample photos there...

Actually what is in your mind.If you like that brand,go for it.Need not to ask everyone here.Like that you'll get more confuse.

Yeah man, bcoz he is asking for the BEST :bsmilie:

u could try a panasonic FZ-28. not too big but capable especially outdoors, macro.
high ISO not it's strong point.

Just wait for Sony HX1 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.