Best RAW Convertor Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2009
Singapore | Sengkang
The RAW Convertor comes with Photoshop is very good, however, is there a free version which can work as standalone software without Photoshop being installed?

Or any other option?

lichtleiter

Deregistered
Apr 1, 2009
DXO Optics Pro has the cleanest RAW converter, although it's slow

Squid

Jun 10, 2004
Please check up Rawtherapee website. It is a stand alone RAW converter software :)

May 2, 2009
Singapore | Sengkang
Thanks for the fast replay. DXO Optics Pro size is 330MB, still downloading (trial version), I believe it is good, as well as CaptureOne which I just found out from other threads.

RAW Therapee is small (11MB) and free, and it has a lots of controls. However, it seems to introduce lots of noise. I tried in the "Detail" adjustment to put in some noise reduction, but not very effective. Any tricks?

Clean

Feb 11, 2009
You can use the raw converter that comes with your camera, eg. DPP for Canon.

May 2, 2009
Singapore | Sengkang
After comparing DXO Optics Pro, CaptureOne (PhaseOne) and Capture NX2 (Nikon), I made my own choice: Capture NX2. For a newbie like me, it delievers the most presentable result with least efforts. The "Control Point" feature is cool, much easier to use than Adobe's layer and mask technology.

DXO Optics and CaptureOne are all undoubtedly powerful, but for me without much knowledge of color, tone, hue etc, I tend to get a result which looks a bit dull in color. Photoshop Element is great, but I think CApture NX2 can do 90% of the job I require.

I am using Nikon camera, maybe Nikon's own software matches with the pictures it takes better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom