Best practices - Lens changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBL2009

Jul 9, 2009
Seletar Estate, Singapore
Please share your best practices.

I find changing lenses in the field very awkward for me.

You may laugh at me, this is what I do -

1. Get 2nd lens ready - open the bag, take out 2nd lens, remove the back cap, put it back to the bag
2. Remove 1st lens - put front cap on the lens, remove it, put on back cap, put 1st lens in the bag
3. Put on the 2nd lens - take out 2nd lens from the bag, put it on the camera, remove front cap.

Many steps and at the same time have to ensure camera body facing down to avoid dust. That's why I hate to change lenses in the field.

Any better idea?

lens "A" mounted on camera, wish to change to lens "B"

Put on front lens cap on lens "A"
take out lens "B", place on solid surface, lens face down, loosen rear lens cap
dismount lens "A" from body,
place lens "A" next to lens "B",
take the rear lens cap from lens "B", cap it on lens "A", tighten
take up lens "B", mount on camera,
keep lens "A" into bag or put in safe place,
remove from lens cap from lens "B" and keep it,

done

With practice you'll do it without even knowing it.

If I have to change a lens, it means I'm shooting with only a single camera, and then I'll have think tank pouches around my waist. Detach lens, put it into its specific pouch, get another lens out of its pouch, and mount it. Simple?

Try this if you have long fingers and are dexterious enough.
Disclaimer: DO NOT use this technique if you are using heavy lenses like a 70-200, unless you are absolutely confident that you have a very strong grip!

Assuming camera is a Canon and is slung on your neck.
This is what i usually do.

Place front cap back onto mounted lens.

With your left hand, grip the 2nd lens(like a cup) and remove from your bag with the rear cap facing you.
With the same hand, loosen the rear cap with your thumb and index or middle finger.

With your right hand, grip the mounted lens like you did with your left hand. Use the side of your index finger to depress and hold the "unmount lens" button. Twist and unmount the lens.

With your left hand, seperate the rear lens cap, flip it with your index or middle finger and place it on the recently unmounted lens. Screw the cap back on with your thumb and index/middle finger.

With your right hand, place lens back into bag. Hold the camera.

With your left hand, mount lens onto camera. Remove front lens cap. Keep lens cap.

With your right hand, use your index finger and fire away!

1. Get 2nd lens ready - open the bag, take out 2nd lens, remove the back cap, put it back to the bag
2. Remove 1st lens - put front cap on the lens, remove it, put on back cap, put 1st lens in the bag
3. Put on the 2nd lens - take out 2nd lens from the bag, put it on the camera, remove front cap.

#3 should be before #2

steps for me:

1) off camera, take out new lens to be mounted
2) remove lens cap from new lens, dump in bag
3) holding new lens, unmount old lens, straight away put the new lens on camera
4) find lens cap from bag, cap old lens, put in bag
5) switch on camera

note, i only have relatively light lenses.

steps for me:

1) off camera, take out new lens to be mounted
2) remove lens cap from new lens, dump in bag
3) holding new lens, unmount old lens, straight away put the new lens on camera
4) find lens cap from bag, cap old lens, put in bag
5) switch on camera

note, i only have relatively light lenses.

pentax cam can do this easier since the release button is on the right instead of the left... :)

Try this if you have long fingers and are dexterious enough.
Disclaimer: DO NOT use this technique if you are using heavy lenses like a 70-200, unless you are absolutely confident that you have a very strong grip!

Assuming camera is a Canon and is slung on your neck.
This is what i usually do.

Place front cap back onto mounted lens.

With your left hand, grip the 2nd lens(like a cup) and remove from your bag with the rear cap facing you.
With the same hand, loosen the rear cap with your thumb and index or middle finger.

With your right hand, grip the mounted lens like you did with your left hand. Use the side of your index finger to depress and hold the "unmount lens" button. Twist and unmount the lens.

With your left hand, seperate the rear lens cap, flip it with your index or middle finger and place it on the recently unmounted lens. Screw the cap back on with your thumb and index/middle finger.

With your right hand, place lens back into bag. Hold the camera.

With your left hand, mount lens onto camera. Remove front lens cap. Keep lens cap.

With your right hand, use your index finger and fire away!

My goodness. You have big hands, long and strong fingers.

If I try this, I won't have a second chance. Both lenses will be on the ground.

Take out your 2nd lens, remove rear cap, then toss it in the air, make sure it's really high....
In the meantime, dismount your 1st lens from the camera, if you have time, steal a glimpse of the 2nd lens, it should still be in the air... if it's not, good luck...quickly screw the rear cap on the 1st lens.
Keep your 1st lens securely with your left hand, you should be just in time to catch the 2nd lens as it descends.
Mount your 2nd lens.

That's how i do it. Results may vary.

As my lenses are in my ThinkTank bags. I would have the rear cap removed first so it would be very fast to change lenses.
Steps would be as follows

1. power off camera
2. put front cap on lense A
3. Put A into side front bag
4. Take out B etc etc and the rest is history

Take out your 2nd lens, remove rear cap, then toss it in the air, make sure it's really high....
In the meantime, dismount your 1st lens from the camera, if you have time, steal a glimpse of the 2nd lens, it should still be in the air... if it's not, good luck...quickly screw the rear cap on the 1st lens.
Keep your 1st lens securely with your left hand, you should be just in time to catch the 2nd lens as it descends.
Mount your 2nd lens.

That's how i do it. Results may vary.

And you broke your lenses. That's why you are now shooting with a 18-105mm on your D90.
Nice Japan-People series. :)

Last edited:
It seems Thinktank pouches make life easier.

I also need to learn to dismount lens with one hand.

Will try this new approach -

1. Have front cap and a spare back cap on left hand.
2. Put on front cap, dismount old lens with right hand with index finger depressing the release button.
3. Put on back cap and put old lens into bag or pouch.
4. Take out new lens from bag or pouch, remove back cap and mount it.

Done.

Best practice? Don't rush! Most problems occur because people rush to a) get the subject or b) are scared of dust and rush to get it done.
First case can be countered by a bit of preparation and focusing on the target, thus minimizing the amount of lens changes. Second point is useless, dust is everywhere and all this facing down and rushing lens caps will not really help. If conditions are bad (upcoming sandstorm, construction site just nearby with dust clouds) just get away before changing lenses.
I have a Slingshot 200, when opened there is plenty of space to prepare the new lens inside (positioning, loosen rear cap). The rest is just as catchlights described it.

Most important. Don't rush. You rush, you miss cue, scratch your rear elements/drop the lens.

no need to take liao, can go home le :(

My steps are:

1. Turn off camera, take out 2nd lens from bag.
2. Remove rear cap from 2nd lens and place both cap and the lens on flat hard clean surface (with rear facing the surface)
3. Unmount 1st lens while camera facing down, place on surface.
4. Mount 2nd lens, put back rear cap on 1st lens.

Mine seems to be the most troublesome because I usually need a surface to place my lens or at least someone to hold the other lends for me...

usualy, before every event or shoot, i'll prepare all my gear, making them easy and fast to access.
i'll remove all the lens caps, make sure nothing lose is left in the bag lens compartment { shoulder bag/backpack }
then when i need the lens i just change, drop it in and then close the bag.

i know it may not be the 'right' way but well, i trust myself and i trust my gear !
i usualy wash them under the tap after heavy usage or the least clean with a cloth after blowing

No rear caps? Most bags are made of cloth-like material.. and chances are fiber might get into the lens rear (which supposingly is facing up).. no? And if fiber gets into the rear, there'll be plenty of room to hide.. unlike on front element where a wipe can easily get it off.

Anyway, I do left my lens with hood and w/o front caps in the bag but the front is facing down..

usualy, before every event or shoot, i'll prepare all my gear, making them easy and fast to access.
i'll remove all the lens caps, make sure nothing lose is left in the bag lens compartment { shoulder bag/backpack }
then when i need the lens i just change, drop it in and then close the bag.

Best practice? Don't rush! Most problems occur because people rush to a) get the subject or b) are scared of dust and rush to get it done.
First case can be countered by a bit of preparation and focusing on the target, thus minimizing the amount of lens changes. Second point is useless, dust is everywhere and all this facing down and rushing lens caps will not really help. If conditions are bad (upcoming sandstorm, construction site just nearby with dust clouds) just get away before changing lenses.
I have a Slingshot 200, when opened there is plenty of space to prepare the new lens inside (positioning, loosen rear cap). The rest is just as catchlights described it.

Don't rush, that's a good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.