Best Portable Storage Device for Digital Camera Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxell_diskettes

May 25, 2003
Visit site
I'm looking for a portable storage device, as in a device that lets you transfer your photos directly from a flash memory card, e.g. Memory stick, Smartmedia cards, etc., to a storage device without having to use a computer.

Anyone has any suggestions which one is the best and where to buy it in Singapore?

:cool:

I am using X-DRIVE II, experience is quite good, convinent and reliable. You just plug in the flash memory card into the X-DRIVE II and press a button, it will automatically copy the contents onto the harddrive.

X-drive is certainly the cheapest on the market. However, it is slow. Because of that, it can actually do less transfers (in terms of Mb) than some other faster (and also more expensive) ones on the market even though it's batteries actually last longer.

Although X-drive II has a USB2 port, the actual transfer speed from flash memory to hard disk is not significantly faster than X-drive I.

My X-drive has a weird compatibility issue with one of my Ridata CF cards where I need to pull the card out a little bit or else I get a failed transfer.

The other issue is that you are unable to independently verify a successful transfer. I had 3 corrupted images out of about 1000. It happened on the same day when the battery was low. Bear in mind that even with the more expensive portable storage devices on the market with a lcd screen, you still can't view your images if you shoot RAW.

Only the very latest version of X-drive II has a power button that is slightly sunken so there is less chance of the unit turning on by itself in your bag.

If you're on a tight budget, can afford to wait while transfering images and can take the risk of losing some of your images once in a blue moon, I would certainly recommend it.

Thanks for all the replies.

According to http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html,
Xdrive uses USB 1.1 Interface with standard storage device for "PC Peripheral".

Quote:
PC Peripheral: USB 1.1 Interface with standard storage device

Anyone has any idea what this means? :what:

Also, anyone here using Image Tank, Super Digibin, etc.? How are they?

It means to say the X-Drive can transfer files only at USB 1.1 standards, or rather it's bandwidth is only USB 1.1 standard.

USB 2.0 is used by the VP2060 (aka X-DriveII). Which supports a faster transfer rate by the USB 2.0 standard.

Personally using the X-DriveII w/ a 20GB HDD. Works perfectly fine for me (using Transcend 25x 256MB CF). Copied 6 times of CF and 3 SM.

Hit 2 corrupted images on the SM transfers. Overall a good buy. There's also the Nixue Digital Album Eastgear is bringing in.

Originally posted by linse
Bear in mind that even with the more expensive portable storage devices on the market with a lcd screen, you still can't view your images if you shoot RAW.
Not true. The Nixvue device that Eastgear is bringing in can do RAW for both Canon and Nikon cameras, plus it has verification via CRC (<- guessed by some on the net).

Originally posted by Watcher
Not true. The Nixvue device that Eastgear is bringing in can do RAW for both Canon and Nikon cameras, plus it has verification via CRC (<- guessed by some on the net).

Yes, the Nixvue Vista is firmware upgradable and currently is the only digital album in the market that is able to view RAW files. In fact, Nixvue recently came out with the firmware to allow users to view the very popular Canon 10D RAW image files, just a few days after the product was released.

And the verification via CRC (cyclic redundancy check) is a CONFIRMED feature.

EastGear.com is the official distributor of X-Drive II and Nixvue products in Singapore.

PM or call 62956201 / 96226876 for sales enquires.

In my opinion, Nixvue makes good portable storage solutions. As for deciding on the exact product to purchase, it will depend on the features needed and budget.

Currently I own the Digital Album Lite. There are no corrupted transfers in my 300 or so photo transfers.

Prior to this, I had a chance to use the original Digital Album, which came on the market about 2 years ago, I think. They've both got the ever important "VERIFY" function that is lacking in lots of other similar devices. It saved me once, while on the road, from a corrupted transfer.

However I think the in-built battery is rather weak, at least for the Nixvue Digital Album I. Only managed to provide enough juice for two 256 meg CF card transfers or so, in a temperature of 15 degrees. However fortunately I had the Nixvue AA battery compartment pack (optional accessory) with me. It takes 8 AA batts and I didn't even need to bring the Album charger with me for the trip. A fresh set of batts provided the power for my 500 D30 Raw files transfer, and still going strong.

Most importantly, I haven't lost a single photo yet, thus far. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.