best point & shoot camera with manual mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

siandy

Sep 3, 2007
Northeast
Hi all, I'm trying to find a replacement for me old compact camera and thought I would draw on the collection wisdom of the forum because google is not being friendly tonight. I'm looking for a camera that allows manual control (can choose shutter speed and aperture) and allows me to set ISO, exposure, flash. I'm not looking at those mini-SLR types, I want something rectangular and hopefully not too heavy.

So far I'm aware of the Canon Powershot A1100 IS and the Panasonic Lumix LX series. Are there any other models which offer manual mode?

Comments are much appreciated!

Canon S90 for one.

Canon S90 and G11/G10 let you do all that quite nicely...

Panasonic LX-3 is also pretty similar...
if you want to take it to the next level maybe look at an oly ep-1 or panasonic gf-1

A1100 IS doesn't have full manual control.

I would recommend the m43 cameras... GF1, EP-1 & EP-2.. :thumbsup:

If you are feeling richer, there is always the Leica offering... :bsmilie:

You might want to state your budget?
Also, A series no longer provide full manula, if not wrong.
S90 is the pick, and LX3.
If don't mind bulky, G11.

I would recommend the m43 cameras... GF1, EP-1 & EP-2.. :thumbsup:

If you are feeling richer, there is always the Leica offering... :bsmilie:

are you suggesting the Leica D-Lux 4 or X1?

how much you want to spend?

for less then $170, the Panasonic LZ8 or LZ10 would be your best bet...Manual mode + Leica glass + uses AA batteries among others.

are you suggesting the Leica D-Lux 4 or X1?

The Leica D-Lux 4 and Panny LX3 is too similar, and it cost 50% more for the red logo. :sweat:

If the TS decided to pay a premium why not just go straight to the X1, I am certain that he would stand out from the crowd... :bsmilie:

Last edited:
u want manual? get the rollei 35se.

Leica X1

Ricoh GRD III

Fixed focal length has advantages you know. Its 35mm fixed.

for less then $170, the Panasonic LZ8 or LZ10 would be your best bet...Manual mode + Leica glass + uses AA batteries among others.

OMG, SGD$170??? That's really affordable. I'll look into it!

A1100 IS doesn't have full manual control.

Yeah, my mistake. I think I was thinking about the A1000IS which came out earlier. Hmm...

You might want to state your budget?
Also, A series no longer provide full manula, if not wrong.
S90 is the pick, and LX3.
If don't mind bulky, G11.
Budget will be around 300+. I went to look at the S90 on the Canon website and it is indeed tempting, but the price! Sigh :eek:

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll definitely check them out, esp those I'm not familiar with - rollei, leica etc. Not the mainstream camera market, I guess?

I've also been trawling around and came up with a list of compact cameras with manual mode:
1. Canon A590
2. Canon SX120S
3. Olympus SP560
4. Nikon P6000
5. Nikon P60

With the exception of the Canons, which are $369 and $469 respectively, the rest are all $600 and above! I had no idea compact cameras could be that expensive!!!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll definitely check them out, esp those I'm not familiar with - rollei, leica etc. Not the mainstream camera market, I guess?

I've also been trawling around and came up with a list of compact cameras with manual mode:
1. Canon A590
2. Canon SX120S
3. Olympus SP560
4. Nikon P6000
5. Nikon P60

With the exception of the Canons, which are $369 and $469 respectively, the rest are all $600 and above! I had no idea compact cameras could be that expensive!!!

Oh not all compact that expensive, just mainly the compact with manual control.
You might want to check the price of FX580 too.

how much you want to spend?

Sorry for intruding your thread TS. Does anyone have any experience with the LZ10? Really tempting buy if it's really under $170.

How is the image quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.